[Question] Utility items - Explorer

Heartwood

Space Marshal
Oct 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Heartwood
Hey guys,

going straight to the point: R. Sen Vs. Hornet Ghost

The sen has 1 size 1 utility item slot = scanner + on board computers to do actual science
The ghost has 1 size 2 utility item slot = e.g. a size 2 scanner + it has full stealth hull components

--> help me out; for being a scout on the look out for resources, wouldn't the size 2 scanner be way better than the size 1?

I have no idea how the sen's computer interacts with data and payment, but if you can get a ghost's size 2 scan off, would this not be equally good?

Additionally, a s2 scanner may reduce the stealth effect. So we might as well include a hornet tracker instead of the ghost. Just pointing out, that the hornet has a s2 utility slot available

Last edited:

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
OMG, these are all questions we want answers to, but I'm not aware of anyplace that CIG has given detailed (& *final*) specs on scanners (or guns, or shields/armor, etc.)? Does anybody know if I am wrong? All I know is everything is subject to constant rebalancing.

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
OMG, these are all questions we want answers to, but I'm not aware of anyplace that CIG has given detailed (& *final*) specs on scanners (or guns, or shields/armor, etc.)? Does anybody know if I am wrong? All I know is everything is subject to constant rebalancing.
I'm in the same boat. I have no definite proof of how CIG's systems work :(

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
The Ghost is a combat stealth ship, meant to sneak into enemy space undetected, recon, slip out and return with information. If a Ghost is shot at, they have essentially failed their mission because now the enemy will know something is afoot. The Sen is a dedicated research ship and should be looking for jump points and resources. It will probably fit in nicely with a small mining concern with say, 1 or 2 Prospectors. If you're looking for a capable science ship, I would suggest a Freelancer DUR.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Hey guys,

going straight to the point: R. Sen Vs. Hornet Ghost

The sen has 1 size 1 utility item slot = scanner + on board computers to do actual science
The ghost has 1 size 2 utility item slot = e.g. a size 2 scanner + it has full stealth hull components

--> help me out; for being a scout on the look out for resources, wouldn't the size 2 scanner be way better than the size 1?

I have no idea how the sen's computer interacts with data and payment, but if you can get a ghost's size 2 scan off, would this not be equally good?

Additionally, a s2 scanner may reduce the stealth effect. So we might as well include a hornet tracker instead of the ghost. Just pointing out, that the hornet has a s2 utility slot available
Personally, I'm planning on skipping both options & for my scouting needs I'm planning on getting a Terrapin. It's small, heavily armored, has heat reduction capabilities & a powerful scanner.

Heartwood

Space Marshal
Oct 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Heartwood
Edit: Noobifier just told me to not make any assumptions based on the ship matrix...

Guys, it is about the fact that the Hornet has a size 2 utility slot.

It can insert a cargo pot and do stealth runs or other stuff, that changes it's class. The Ghost just comes with a pre set stealh hull and in the scenario of playing as a resource detector, the main issue is: will the size 2 scanner overpower any size 1 dedicated explorer ship?

Problem is information;
is the hardpoint matrix accurate in this case?
What does scanning game play involve?
Will we need a computer to "pack and send" scanned data for income?
Radar Vs. Scanner - looking at the Carrack with 0 utility slot items but a "L"-Radar, what does what?

This issue just popped up recently after getting the R.Sen (i got a Terrapin already, but was in search for the smallest and fastest explorer ship). I looked through all ships and the Hornet will have the best utility slot size comapred to any other < 125$ ship.

And don't get me started on the size 3 (!) utility slot in the C. Red! It just has to be a fixed one for medical game play, otherwise we just put a size 3 scanner in there and laugh at the s2 Terrapin slot.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?