Quick question about buybacks.

Garonman

Captain
Oct 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Garonman5
So even though the game is, ahem.. sometime away from completion.. to get an idea of where I will zero in on my final fleet, do you think we will be able to continue to use buybacks even after full release or will we have to lock ourselves in to a final fleet for release?

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
I'm pretty sure they've said that the current store/model is only valid for Alpha development, and I wouldn't expect/assume ANY of it will remain available/valid as soon as we move into Beta. On the other hand, CIG has always been pretty good about communicating when they're going to make a change to their processes at least a LITTLE while before they actually implement it, so I'd expect at least some sort of official warning before they go and turn that taps off on us.

RoosterRage

Captain
Donor
Jul 16, 2022
RSI Handle
RoosterRage
So even though the game is, ahem.. sometime away from completion.. to get an idea of where I will zero in on my final fleet, do you think we will be able to continue to use buybacks even after full release or will we have to lock ourselves in to a final fleet for release?
They have said in the past that you will need to use your upgrades before release as accounts will be locked at launch and any unused store credit and upgrades will be converted to UEC which is a very poor exchange rate.

Garonman

Captain
Oct 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Garonman5
They have said in the past that you will need to use your upgrades before release as accounts will be locked at launch and any unused store credit and upgrades will be converted to UEC which is a very poor exchange rate.
Ah man, that was not what I was hoping to hear. I am constantly swapping my fleet out and I want to make sure my new Idris is there but struggling to balance the numbers.

Reactions: PlayWithMeOrDie

Garonman

Captain
Oct 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Garonman5
I'm pretty sure they've said that the current store/model is only valid for Alpha development, and I wouldn't expect/assume ANY of it will remain available/valid as soon as we move into Beta. On the other hand, CIG has always been pretty good about communicating when they're going to make a change to their processes at least a LITTLE while before they actually implement it, so I'd expect at least some sort of official warning before they go and turn that taps off on us.
Was hoping for a bit of good news but oh well. gotta get back to moving the pieces around to roll out the best fleet with what I have to call on before that happens.

Reactions: PlayWithMeOrDie

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Ah man, that was not what I was hoping to hear. I am constantly swapping my fleet out and I want to make sure my new Idris is there but struggling to balance the numbers.
Don't worry, you got like half a decade to make up your mind. The release is nowhere near.

PlayWithMeOrDie

Commander
Apr 7, 2023
RSI Handle
Iegatus
I used to use CCU to build my fleet when I started years ago. Now my fleet is 100% free from CCU. All are 100% original concept LTIs or from LTI packs. Well, except the special ones (Raven, AMD Omega, BIS ships, etc.) which are not LTIs.

Sooo glad I decided not to use CCU. Imagine keeping valuable CCU upgrades and suddenly the game turned into beta and all valuable upgrades are lost! But then again, beta might be in year 2046. So I guess people are safe for quite a while…

Last edited:
  • o7
Reactions: Garonman

Brictoria

Vice Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
I wonder how the grey market would handle that announcement - Those selling items from buyback would have less issue, but the CCU sellers would be forced to discount, melt, or apply their items which would theoretically drive prices down to ensure that they weren't stuck with the items\credits at release and had instead "cashed out".

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Before beta even for upgrades. It was stated somewhere in the FAQ (and probably is still).
As for the pledge store, they will probably just keep cosmetics like paints, my guess.

I also think that the buyback system will be scrapped then at release.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Sooo glad I decided not to use CCU. Imagine keeping valuable CCU upgrades and suddenly the game turned into beta and all valuable upgrades are lost! But then again, beta might be in year 2046. So I guess people are safe for quite a while…
I wouldn't worry about that. While CIG can be critiqued for being very slow at developing new features despite the overwhelming amount of financial support backers have given them, that's roughly where the valid criticism stops. CIG has made a very commendable effort of communicating of major changes well in advance. Even things like $5 inflation bump on older ships gets several weeks of warning despite this allowing backers to chain up CCUs using store credit to secure themselves a discount.

There is absolutely no way CIG would one day just covertly flip a switch rendering all of your CCUs useless. I'd imagine we'd get up to a full year of warning for such a massive change, and personally I just need an hour or so to apply all of my CCUs. Though at the point of beta, the ships I have CCUs to would probably be flyable so I would've applied those CCUs already anyways.

Forgot your password?