Quick question about motion sickness

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
So I finally logged into the game on Saturday, first time in a long long time, to check out the 890J for myself. I was in the game for about 20 minutes and found myself having to log off and run to the restroom to pray to the porcelain god. I seem to have developed a motion sickness reaction to the game. Apparently motion sickness isn't all that uncommon for some gamers but it effects different people for different games. I read that repeated exposure can trick my brain out of having this reaction and that dramamine can help in the short term. I also read that video games with a head bob in first person view can trigger this reaction. I probably won't get a chance to go back into the game until next Saturday but can anyone tell me if there is a way to toggle the head bob in first person on and off? Or have any other suggestions if they also get motion sickness from video games?

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I never had any problems with motion sickness, and then in May had a horrible cold / allergy / sinus problem and all of a sudden I had all sort of problems with head tracking --> I couldn't play at all!

Thankfully, my problems cleared up...

Have you ever had any problems with motion sickness in games before? Any other FPS games?

Injustice

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Injustice4
In all my years of gaming, from when I was a tiny kid to adulthood, I had never experienced motion sickness in gaming. I remember when the N64 came out and I wanted to play 007 Goldeneye with my dad. After 15 minutes he said that he just couldn't play anymore because he felt sick. I never understood how he felt.

That was until last month, when I picked up the Oculus Rift S VR headset. I was good playing games where I could stand still and reach around... but the second I had to "walk" via controller it was like my body almost fell to the ground. I laughed at how silly I felt, like how could my brain not understand that it's only a game... but then after only 10 minutes, I had the worst headache and nausea I ever felt. VR motion sickness is my weakness, my God damn kryptonite. An expensive one too.

So in that regard, I feel for ya. And I've heard the same things you have. Try it again and again in short controlled sessions to build tolerance, and a little medication to ease the transition.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I never had any problems with motion sickness, and then in May had a horrible cold / allergy / sinus problem and all of a sudden I had all sort of problems with head tracking --> I couldn't play at all!

Thankfully, my problems cleared up...

Have you ever had any problems with motion sickness in games before? Any other FPS games?
I never really played FPS games before but I do remember years ago going to a friend's house and playing Portal for the first (and last) time. It happened then too IIRC.

In all my years of gaming, from when I was a tiny kid to adulthood, I had never experienced motion sickness in gaming. I remember when the N64 came out and I wanted to play 007 Goldeneye with my dad. After 15 minutes he said that he just couldn't play anymore because he felt sick. I never understood how he felt.

That was until last month, when I picked up the Oculus Rift S VR headset. I was good playing games where I could stand still and reach around... but the second I had to "walk" via controller it was like my body almost fell to the ground. I laughed at how silly I felt, like how could my brain not understand that it's only a game... but then after only 10 minutes, I had the worst headache and nausea I ever felt. VR motion sickness is my weakness, my God damn kryptonite. An expensive one too.

So in that regard, I feel for ya. And I've heard the same things you have. Try it again and again in short controlled sessions to build tolerance, and a little medication to ease the transition.
Yeah, my brain is not getting the hint that I'm not actually moving. Until I get a vacation and can power my way through a lot of mini sessions I'm going to have to stick to meds I guess

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
So I finally logged into the game on Saturday, first time in a long long time, to check out the 890J for myself. I was in the game for about 20 minutes and found myself having to log off and run to the restroom to pray to the porcelain god. I seem to have developed a motion sickness reaction to the game. Apparently motion sickness isn't all that uncommon for some gamers but it effects different people for different games. I read that repeated exposure can trick my brain out of having this reaction and that dramamine can help in the short term. I also read that video games with a head bob in first person view can trigger this reaction. I probably won't get a chance to go back into the game until next Saturday but can anyone tell me if there is a way to toggle the head bob in first person on and off? Or have any other suggestions if they also get motion sickness from video games?
Yeah this is a known issue you can get as a gamer.

Best tip I can give from years of gaming is check your FOV that is usually the reason for motion sickness and motion blur.
Reason is you walk around the world IRL with a fixed FOV most people have about same FOV IRL.
it do vary some from person to person, so trying to change FOV that match what your eyes are use to see can help.

Also different eyesight on your eyes, say for example your left eye have developed a slight less sharpness then your right eye.
This can also in combination with wrong FOV cause nausea and motion sickness.
If you really want to be sure have your eyes checked and try find a FOV that match what your eyes are use to and yeah if it's not off already, turn off motion blur.
And yeah that head bob thingy... hmm..

Hope this can help you out get to term with it.

For user.cfg file you can add this.

Con_Restricted = 0 <-- always have to be first line in user.cfg

r_MotionBlur = 0

hud_bobHud = 0 <---- disable head bobbing

CL_fov = xx ; ( replace xx with example 60 )

r_DrawNearFOV = xx ; (replace xx with example 60 )

pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFOV = xx ; ( replace xx with example 60 )

r_ChromaticAberration = 0 <--- this I never understand why they add, it's a flaw you only find in old analog cameras and does not apply for digital at all.

Don't add my comment with the command but if you want to add comment behind command in user.cfg you need adding a semicolon ; make game ignore anything after, on that line.

Why they add that motion blur shit in first person together with lens effect I never understand it get blurry enough without it and the eye is not a camera and doesn't act like one.

CHEERS! 🍻

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
It's called computer visual syndrome, CVS for short and it's more common than you ever knew about. You can find a good explanation of why it happens and what to do if it starts happening to you through google. People are sometimes surprised by how many people have had symptoms and for how long. There's a fairly good (not great) description and solution discussion on Wikipedia. I found looking at some other people's experiences helped a lot to find solutions for specific symptoms. It does not affect just gamers, but they are at high risk.

In general the symptoms are the same as motion sickness, and the causes are similar. Your eyes are telling your brain one thing, but your other senses are telling it something else.

These things have almost eliminated it for me:
  • Lower your monitor so you look slightly down at it.
  • Reduce the wattage, and color temperature of room lighting. i.e. use a little more red, not blue tinted light.
  • Look away from your monitor at least every 20 minutes, for 20 seconds, and look at a point 20 feet away... that's around 6 meters.
    • If that isn't possible, make sure you're blinking frequently, and close your eyes for a few seconds every minute.
    • These are the hardest things to do so:
  • Get up and walk around for 5 minutes every hour
    • You can use this as a schedule for a pee break too, because you should
  • Drink water, coffee, tea, juice, something like that. More than you think, but less than a swimming pool.
Those are not the only things, they're just what work for me. Something else that helped a lot was getting enough sleep. I thought I was getting enough, but I wasn't. You need to have 6-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep per day. That means people with sleep apnea need more. So if any of your cohabitation partners say you snore, then don't ignore it. Talk to your doctor.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Great list Vavrik. Another thing you can do if non of @Mich Angel and @Vavrik suggestions help is try ginger. Finally what can help is adding a post-it note or a sticky dot to your monitor it can help to break up your eyes sense of motion (so can reducing the size of your monitor so that your field of view is not entirely filled by the monitor).

Reactions: Mich Angel

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD

at-2500

Vice Admiral
Donor
Aug 24, 2018
RSI Handle
at2500
I only have experience with motion sickness on boats, but for me drinking a lot and making sure that my body doesn’t overheat are key to prevent motion sickness. Also, not getting yourself really hungry helps.

Forgot your password?