Re-arming Missiles during flight intended or bug?

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
I picked up 100x Typhoon IX for my bombers the other day. Today I took out the Retaliator to do some ECN Alert missions. I was surprised when I was able to re-arm my missiles after using all of them up during flight. I thought it was a glitch so I took out the Eclipse. During the same mission I used up all my missiles and there was still 1 enemy up, I was able to re-arm the missiles right away and finish up the mission.

If this was intended it would make the Eclipse very powerful. Eclipse do not get detected until 3.2k range. But they can lock on and fire at 4.2k range. You would fire all 3 missiles, re-arm, and fire again repeatedly. Before anyone even notice they are getting shot at with size IX missiles the eclipse could have gotten 9 missiles out then run.

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
it's a bug, really the only ship with the capability to reload in flight would be the freelancer mis
I'm in alignment with you guys that it's a bug, wouldn't make sense otherwise. What comes to mind now is that how fun would it be to play a ship like the Eclipse where you would take a few sec to fire off your 3 missiles and basically have to return to a port to re-arm. That would suck playing an Eclispe :(

Reactions: Talonsbane

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Eclipse do not get detected until 3.2k range. But they can lock on and fire at 4.2k range.
I have seen the Eclipse lock at 29km range and fire at 20km. The tracking range of the S9 Torps are all either 31 or 49KM, so if you're not locking until 4km, something is amiss.

I think it certainly must matter what your target is. What I saw, the Eclipse was firing on a Connie, and it was a one-shot kill. Not sure you'd want to use Torps on much smaller birds, but Connie's are toast if Eclipse are in the fight.

Makes me wonder why the stealth of the Raven is so pathetic compared to the Eclipse. I bet they fix that. It's half the size. If anything it ought to be much harder to see.

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
I have seen the Eclipse lock at 29km range and fire at 20km. The tracking range of the S9 Torps are all either 31 or 49KM, so if you're not locking until 4km, something is amiss.

I think it certainly must matter what your target is. What I saw, the Eclipse was firing on a Connie, and it was a one-shot kill. Not sure you'd want to use Torps on much smaller birds, but Connie's are toast if Eclipse are in the fight.

Makes me wonder why the stealth of the Raven is so pathetic compared to the Eclipse. I bet they fix that. It's half the size. If anything it ought to be much harder to see.
Just logged in to test the range again. And you are certain right the range is much farther! The lock mechanism is kind of buggy. Sometimes it tells you it is locked and others it just make a click sound with no visuals. I can confirm that 9.3k is the max I could obtain. I tried to missile lock then move backwards but then I couldn't fire the missile.

At 10k range 3 of the 4 ships I could not even target, the one ship I could target I couldn't lock on until around 9.3k.

I can also confirm the Andromeda can be destroyed in 1 shot from an Eclipse. It happened to me the other day when I lost 21k UEC :(

Edit: And I agree with you that the size of the (targeted) ship plays a role in the range and ability to target.

Last edited:
Reactions: Talonsbane

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy

With regards to the stealth. I always assumed you would take the bigger number out of your IR/EM and that would be the distance a typical scanner can detect you at. I have no data or research to back this up. I have no means to test this in the game because I have no friends in the verse lol. So my assumption could be totally wrong.

This actually never even crossed my mind when I made the post, I just automatically assumed it was the case. So if I'm wrong, which I'm leaning towards after some readings, then the 3.2k distance I mentioned would not be accurate.

Edit: I just did some testing on this. It appears that there is some complex formula between IR/EM plus scanning equipment, and not a simple 1:1 ratio as I always assumed. I would estimate the Eclipse to have a 5k ish stealth range.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bambooza

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
If you go off the original 890 Jump, Polaris, and Idris plans all of them are supposed to be able to rearm from a central magazine in flight.
Also, Connie has the missiles "accessible" in the cargo bay, which makes me wonder if it would be possible for those to be reloaded manually mid-flight. If so, I can imagine someone having a cargobay full of missiles.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
Also, Connie has the missiles "accessible" in the cargo bay, which makes me wonder if it would be possible for those to be reloaded manually mid-flight. If so, I can imagine someone having a cargobay full of missiles.
The Andromeda has a missile magazine in the cargo bay, I don't know about the other ones. From what I recall they Andromeda can reload in flight from the internal magazine through a rail system, I have no idea about the others, I haven't owned a connie in awhile.

Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?