Rescued a Doggo Tonight

DansAFK

Admiral
Mar 30, 2016
RSI Handle
DansAFK
Sorry I haven't been on discord very much in the last month, been a lot of shake up in my personal life. Thank you to all the kind messages received from TESTIES who worried I was dead :)

Anyways due to a kinda snowballing situation earlier earlier today/yesterday I ended up rescuing a dog. I'm between wages and jobs and started a gofundme to help pay for some basic care she needs asap. If any fellow TESTIES wanna chip in we would love you forever :)

https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-this-rescue-tali

Don't feel obliged or guilt tripped or whatever though! I have a backup plan and may just end up popping my computer on ebay tomorrow as a quick and temporary measure for quick cash until I am earning money again. Dogs well being is more important to me I think.

DansAFK

Admiral
Mar 30, 2016
RSI Handle
DansAFK
No need to donate anymore :)
Posted a update and ended the campaign. I took Tali to the vet and explained the situation on Wednesday morning first thing. He prescribed anti inflammatory medication to help with the chewing and itching and sore spots then he gave her a tablet that would poison the flea infestation and cause them to die and fall off within 24 hours. Explaining the financial situation he only charged me £20 for consultation and medication, he said she looked like she didn't have any other issues other than some dermatitis caused by the fleas and her constant itching and biting. He warned me to be cautious about letting her off the lead or letting people pet her until I have come to know and understand her, also he said it will take about 2 weeks for her to get back on her feet and for her true personality to emerge.

I brought her home and kept her in a doggy pen after giving her the medication and re-assuring her. Wed midnight most the fleas were dead and had fallen off so I took her out and gently bathed and showered her (she was scared of the shower so was mainly pouring water over her by hand). Then I washed and bleached the dog pen / carrier she'd been kept in and sprayed some flea spray across everywhere she had come in contact with.

2 days later and she's like a completely different animal!

So on Thursday 1 day after flea treatment I walked her after she went to the front door and pawed to be let out.
She must have come from a good home and had some level of training before the druggy squat place got her, she knows commands like sit, stay and drop as well as to ask when she needs to go out for the toilet. She cowers from sudden movements like she has been hit and she doesn't trust men she passes when I walk her or very large dogs, barking at the dogs.

Friday I am seeing even more progress,
She has made a little nest for herself out of a soft blanket I let her sleep on. In the morning she jumps up on my bed and lays on my chest looking me in the eyes and wagging her tail all full of love. When I get up she walks to her lead and sits down and looks at me until I take her for a walk. On her walk today she ignored all types of dogs and even allowed a poodle and a excitable spaniel sniff and run around her, she got a bit scared when the spaniel started trying to play with her but I told her to sit and stroked her to re-assure her. She waited till the dog owner passed and carried on, I haven't let her off the lead yet as I am still unsure of how she will re-act to certain people.

She seems to have calmed to the growling when I pass men when out walking her. She pays no heed to them and walks by but does not wag her her tail so I will need to work on that possibly or just manage it best I can.
It was suggested I should ask her to sit when they pass us and reward her with a treat for being good to help train her.
Woman and children though she wags her tail and tries to jump up and lick them so no problems there, although I do say to anyone who try to pet her that she is a rescue dog and I have only had her 2 days so I don't trust her not to bite them and ask them not to pet her at the moment.

Ill include some updated videos and pictures for those interested. Thank you for your kind offer to help regardless, I knew TESTies always have a big heart :)

I am so glad I went and rescued her, I grew up with dogs and spent 2 years training a very disobedient husky who had aggression issues. He passed away 5 years ago. In my previous home I was unable to have a dog as part of the tenancy agreement.

We will be fine now :) She will get the love she deserves.

Also: I love that they said her name was "Tali" , in the mass effect games Tali is a quarian and a member of Commander Shepard's squad.

DansAFK

Admiral
Mar 30, 2016
RSI Handle
DansAFK
So glad you did this. I hear far too many stories lately about animals being mistreated.
Oh totally! Me too. It feels so good to rescue and look after her when I knew she didn't have the power to do anything about her situation herself. I was browsing for cheap or free puppies for the new year thinking now that I could finally have a dog again it would be awesome, just kinda stumbled on her advert and was shocked but determined to do something.

DansAFK

Admiral
Mar 30, 2016
RSI Handle
DansAFK
Some videos as promised

Bathtime

Doggy Pen Cage my sister was given for transporting her cat. Came in useful.

2 days after being rescued she has started playing with the cats toys. I was filming her playing and this was the first time I gave her a command to drop out of habit I guess, was totally surprised when she knew the command. But praised her to keep it going.

Today, I threw out her old collar in case there was flea eggs or anything inside the fabric and besides it was a choker collar which I don't like very much and replaced it with a cheap leather collar I found for £5, she really suits it. I will be getting a body harness when I can afford it for walking her as it has a handle for lifting her up and out the way of any bad situations and should also help with stopping her pulling when I walk her.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
How sweet! The videos are *Adorable!*

FYI, my dog recently came down with fleas. The thing to do is what you are doing....what I did was:
1. Give the dog that pill
2. Bathe it
3. Get it back on monthly anti-flea & tick topical solution (did this after the bath, so as to not wash off the stuff)
4. Use an anti-flea powder on carpeted areas
5. Wash any clothes or dog bedding that may have been contaminated, and dry it--that is usually enough to kill the things
5. Vacuum, vacuum, and vacuum some more

When I found fleas a second, time, I went through those steps again. Nasty creatures, the life cycle is is three stages, the egg, larva, pupa, and adult. The adult lays eggs non-stop, it takes about two weeks for each stage, and the pupa are notoriously hard to kill...

Good luck!

Last edited:

MikeNificent

Space Marshal
Sep 24, 2016
RSI Handle
MikeNificent
My avatar is Winnie. I took her in when she was 4 years old. She was a wonderful addition to our family for 6 years, until she got cancer and we had to put her down at the end of October. I've had dogs my whole life, but Winnie was by far the most loyal, and the hardest to let go.

I'm happy that you've decided to step up for Tali. If your rescue dog experience is anything like mine was, you have many years of happy memories to look forward to. Good luck!

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
My avatar is Winnie. I took her in when she was 4 years old. She was a wonderful addition to our family for 6 years, until she got cancer and we had to put her down at the end of October. I've had dogs my whole life, but Winnie was by far the most loyal, and the hardest to let go.

I'm happy that you've decided to step up for Tali. If your rescue dog experience is anything like mine was, you have many years of happy memories to look forward to. Good luck!
I had a Winnie, too! We rescued here when she was 7...sadly, she died two years later of a unusual tumor near her heart, which was tragically ironic, because she had the biggest and sweetest heart in a dog...she was always so happy! Never aggressive, at all, she loved everybody and every dog (and any cat, too).

She also was the only dog I've had who used to steal food off the counter...managing her weight was a full time job!

DansAFK

Admiral
Mar 30, 2016
RSI Handle
DansAFK
All these comments are great, thanks everyone :slight_smile: Winnie looks adorable.

Thanks for the tips on the flea problem Radegast, I pretty much followed all those steps apart from the continuing to treat for fleas. I will grab some Frontline Spot on, one month treatment for her. I treated the cat with some spot on when I gave her the flea tablet. I sprayed with a vacuum flea killer powder on all the furniture and carpets and have done the washing and drying.

Tali has really come into her own with a beautiful personality. She gets on with all the dogs she meets when I walk her and has funny little habits like she will sleep on her doggy bed in my room but gets up on my bed first thing in the morning to greet me with a kiss (lick on my lips) then she curls up in a ball next to me until I get up for her morning walk.

She barely casts any hair so is very easy to vacuum up after and always lets me know if she needs to go out to the toilet. She sprawls out on her back over me late at night when im on the laptop and just shows the most amazing amount of companionship and love. More than I have ever experienced from any of the several dogs or cats in my life growing up.

Best thing I ever did, despite warnings from people before and after me rescuing her with all these horror stories.

Oh yeah, she smiles by baring her teeth and wagging her tail when I scratch her tummy. No hint of aggression in her, doesn't bite or growl even if you take her bone out her mouth or add or take food away from her. She has started her naughty phase now though, she got in the cat litter once and ate all the poo and got at the cat food a few times as well :slight_smile:

I will be moving the cat feeding bowls to a elevated position and purchasing a top entrance cat litter tray to keep her in check.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Tali has really come into her own with a beautiful personality. She gets on with all the dogs she meets when I walk her and has funny little habits like she will sleep on her doggy bed in my room but gets up on my bed first thing in the morning to greet me with a kiss (lick on my lips) then she curls up in a ball next to me until I get up for her morning walk.
Too cute!

Thanks for the tips on the flea problem Radegast, I pretty much followed all those steps apart from the continuing to treat for fleas. I will grab some Frontline Spot on, one month treatment for her. I treated the cat with some spot on when I gave her the flea tablet. I sprayed with a vacuum flea killer powder on all the furniture and carpets and have done the washing and drying.
Based on the flea life cycle, I would expect a high likelihood of a reoccurrence of adult fleas on her 10 to 21 days after your first treatment. (Since you brought her in from another location, this may not actually happen.) It really isn't a set back, it is just that the pupae are tough to kill. In any event, if it does occur, it will be a smaller infestation than before (unless you don't spot it for a while). No worries, just follow all the steps above again. Oh, and vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. When you don't spot any adult fleas on her for over a month, you can go back to your regular cleaning habits!

Goero

Space Marshal
Dec 28, 2016
RSI Handle
Goero101
You sir, are a good person!

A couple years ago, we rescued a kitten from my workplace, the only reason why I mention this, is because we too, named her Tali. Shes my rotten little quarian! :D

Forgot your password?