Rifting it up......Vive need not apply!!

Mog_No_1

Captain
Donor
May 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Well ladies and gents, finally have my Oculus in hand and god damn it was worth the wait and money. I'm sure any VR owner can relate as it puts a whole new dimension onto videos and gaming that you just cant explain, its something you need to experience yourself. Its strange how there can be such a huge difference between a 2D imagine on a monitor or TV which is how we have all experienced things for so many years to viewing the same thing in VR. Well for all the people that think VR is a fad, your all mentally impared. VR is proven to work and will be the way of the future. The obvious improvements over the years to come will will be interesting to see. The main things that need to happen are higher res screens which intern require more powerful PCs to run them. Will be an expensive task to keep up with the hardware improvements but it will be worth it.

Personally I'm very happy with my Rift and all you Vive owners bitching about how much better it is over the Rift can sit on this (sticks up middle finger) and rotate! :rolleyes: Yes the Vive has contorllers currently, Yes the Rift is getting controllers shortly, yes the Oculus will shit all over the Vive at that point as the headset and software is far better. ;) The interface software for the Rift is excellent with alot of the issues people had been complaining about being patched out. Is still a tight ass effort from Oculus though to put the hardware restrictions when it was always ment to be open platform. For all the Vive owners with Oculus accounts, you guys have been screwed over and will hopefully be something which will get rectified.

Already picked up a few games, Adrift, Eve Valkyrie, Chronos, Luckys Tail ofcourse. Anything else worth picking up in the game department? Only one I can think of is Project Cars? Likely do The Climb when the touch controllers are available. Anyone know when the touch controllers will be available? My favorite things so far arnt so much the games but the movie shorts, espicially ones like ABE VR, what a fucked up robot that is? :eek: Besides the other listed shorts anyone recommend programs or things worth getting? Must say the Virtual Desktop is an interesting idea which Oculus should have the equivalent in their site off the bat, shouldnt need to be visiting steam VR for things that are lacking with Oculus.

Some advice people on things to do with my Rift! :D

Reactions: marcsand2

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
Being an original supporter of the OR and an owner of the DK2 and the HTC Vive, I have a good viewpoint of the differences. The basic difference is the weight of the Vive vs it's superior tracking ability. And for now the controllers and the area of tracking of the Vive. The primary difference being the immersivness of the experience. You can move around in a 3mx3m area with the Vive and you can carry a sword or pistol. Or you have hands with which you can directly interact with the environment. Right now until the OR comes out with controllers and room sensors for the OR, I would place the Vive ahead. You find many OR games being ported to the Vive and not visa Versa. The second generation will tell the difference. This is the fairest comparison I have found:

Mog_No_1

Captain
Donor
May 3, 2016
RSI Handle
@ratfeast....guess it depends what your after and people will always be split on their preference like the whole PS or Xbox camps. They both play games but do it alittle differently with different things on offer. Personally I dont want to be running around a room tripping over the headset cable. Think that whole warping thing is alittle disjointing to the experiance. For me the rifts smaller movement ranges is perfered as I just dont think the system is developed enough to do larger areas well enough with the current hatdware. Hand contollers are a big ommission for Oculus and is ultermately the lack of them currently is what is rating this system 2nd which I dont feel is quite accurate. Reminds me of the days of Crysis came out, seriously ground breaking game in visuals and so many other ways but peanuts were scoring it a 2 because they didnt have the hardware to run it. Could have been better optimised ofcourse but in the end it was a few years ahead of the hardware of the time. Hmmm....now ive totally forgotten what I was writing about. Yes, touch controllers, when the oculus releases them in a few months then people can truely judge apples to apples. Otherwise people should be comparing the headsets only. My view anyway. A front camera would be good on the Rift though although its not hard to quickly flick your rift up to have a gander. As for the games, yes some may be ported to Steam and Steam games not to Oculus. The bigger issue is Rift users can still use Steam, Vive users however cant use Oculus currently.

Regardless of yhe whole Rift/Vive thing, good times are ahead for VR, the way of the future is here and now I think. Look forward to things like hollywood movies being developed for this, so many possibilities.

Reactions: ratfeast

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
Regardless of yhe whole Rift/Vive thing, good times are ahead for VR, the way of the future is here and now I think. Look forward to things like hollywood movies being developed for this, so many possibilities.
I agree absolutely! I think this is the first pass for both cpm[amies. They are both aware of their shortcomings. And as more GTX1080 systems come on-line, the number of people in the market will increase dramatically. The eventual market will be huge. And, HTC and Oculus aren't the only players in the game.

Bishop

Space Marshal
Jul 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Macr0
I am selling mine [after one week of playing on it].

Only dont get motion sick if I play drunk on it. Had some others come by and try it and they did not have that feeling, though it seems I am to sensetive for the CV1. [did not have the problem when I tried a DK2,...] Well. Maybee the CV2 will work for me, when ever it will come out.

Here the link, if you want to Bid on it. (*only sending to Europe though)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201616468157?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Mog_No_1

Captain
Donor
May 3, 2016
RSI Handle
The issues raised in that vid come down to 2 key points, lack of hand controllers which they need a slapping for taking so long. That is still the big negative here, sinking the headset which in itself was said to be better is alittle ruff though. Second, all the negative feedback and hate mails are likely to be Vive owners getting the shits on about either Oculus exclusives or delayed releases on steam thanks to moneybags Oculus. That aspect doesnt bother me obviously, have my Rift and enjoying it. And seriously if Apple can make it this long being a bunch of restrictive douches with substandard hardware, dont think the Oculus will have any issues. They do need to pick their game up alittle though. Waited for the headset, WAITING for the controllers.

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
The issues raised in that vid come down to 2 key points, lack of hand controllers which they need a slapping for taking so long. That is still the big negative here, sinking the headset which in itself was said to be better is alittle ruff though. Second, all the negative feedback and hate mails are likely to be Vive owners getting the shits on about either Oculus exclusives or delayed releases on steam thanks to moneybags Oculus. That aspect doesnt bother me obviously, have my Rift and enjoying it. And seriously if Apple can make it this long being a bunch of restrictive douches with substandard hardware, dont think the Oculus will have any issues. They do need to pick their game up alittle though. Waited for the headset, WAITING for the controllers.
I personally believe they launched prematurely. The market remains small, and a number of people are waiting for the 1080 cards to become readily available before jumping into VR. They would have been building "+" hype all this time while not losing a significant market share. I think it was horrible miscalculation from a business standpoint. That's too bad, the competition would have been good for the consumers.

Mog_No_1

Captain
Donor
May 3, 2016
RSI Handle
I personally believe they launched prematurely. The market remains small, and a number of people are waiting for the 1080 cards to become readily available before jumping into VR. They would have been building "+" hype all this time while not losing a significant market share. I think it was horrible miscalculation from a business standpoint. That's too bad, the competition would have been good for the consumers.
Well you said it, still early days with any of this. Oculus certainly isnt on their way to bankruptcy as some are making it sound. I think currently the big reality here is there isnt the software really available for this platform yet which will take many years yet. The Vive moving around thing, cool idea but I dont think anything really does it well and there are no AAA titles or anything close to it to use it. Hand controllers, still a cool thing to add and would add alittle more depth to some of the currently available games but for the Rift, not a game breaker for me. Once again no AAA titles to really make use of the touch controller. Currently I'm enjoying more of the 3d experiance with shorts and videos, with a few games thrown in aswell like Chronos. This isnt a XBox vs PS war with hardware as we have seen previously because its still VERY early days for anyone adopting this. I dont know if people are waiting for the 1080 before jumping onto this as you can happily run it with a 970 which would be a crap load cheaper too. Disappointed with that bloke from Linus Tech Tips sprouting his doom and gloom when still the key issue is people waiting for a few months for the touch controller, can he not wait? He said the Rift headset is better and even the touch is better, but he is that impatient to cancel everything because the world has come to an end with Oculus because he needs a teaspoon of patience? WTF! Seriously people in the media need to have alittle perspective in life. Once again this is super early adoption for people affecting a minimal amount of people in the world. Oculus should have done things alittle differently but its easy to live life in hindsite. I'm sure they have their reasons why they have gone about things this way, would be interesting to know why but doubt we ever will. Not the end of the world people.

Forgot your password?