RP Within the 'Verse - Noob friendly guide

LiterallyAlty

Space Marshal
Jul 4, 2015
RSI Handle
Literally
I'm considering RPing a Terran separatist, depending on how the UEE lore gets developed. Any advice on how to do that tastefully, even though I'm looking at destroying Starliners?

Arrangingstars

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Arrangingstars
I'm considering RPing a Terran separatist, depending on how the UEE lore gets developed. Any advice on how to do that tastefully, even though I'm looking at destroying Starliners?
Hmm.. I need a little bit more info, really, but I would say think of the driving forces of your character's actions. Think about core memories your character would have to drive them to do certain things or act a certain way. Try to stay away from the generic "my sister/wife/brother/dad/mother died" thing, and that turned you into a hardened person. Maybe you had some bad dealings in the past. Not entirely sure if this is the help you're going for, if not try to explain a little further and I'll do my best to help!

LiterallyAlty

Space Marshal
Jul 4, 2015
RSI Handle
Literally
Something along the lines of any Western insurgent, really. Someone that's sick of the Earth-centric UEE and firmly believes that it's time to push them away from Terra.
It's still really early though, as most of the motivations haven't been fleshed out yet since those require more lore being revealed.
To keep it in good taste, how much should I avoid real-world examples? Torpedoing a Starliner, or otherwise sabotaging it, is something that I'd consider for an in-game plan. That said, there are numerous people that will probably play this game that have lived with the real thing. I guess that I'm asking more of a general social question, since I'm more concerned with not going too far with the excuses for civilian targets.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
Something along the lines of any Western insurgent, really. Someone that's sick of the Earth-centric UEE and firmly believes that it's time to push them away from Terra.
It's still really early though, as most of the motivations haven't been fleshed out yet since those require more lore being revealed.
To keep it in good taste, how much should I avoid real-world examples? Torpedoing a Starliner, or otherwise sabotaging it, is something that I'd consider for an in-game plan. That said, there are numerous people that will probably play this game that have lived with the real thing. I guess that I'm asking more of a general social question, since I'm more concerned with not going too far with the excuses for civilian targets.
Just be a crazy radicalist separatist. Believe that Terra is the new center of humanity, and that the beurocracy and corruption of the old uee is a danger to the human race. You don't have to have some motive for revenge, it seems like no one rp's the drastically unhinged but earnest terrorist anymore.

And, let's be honest. If you're Torpedoing passenger liners, you've got to be crazy, because there's no logical justification for killing hundreds of civilians

LiterallyAlty

Space Marshal
Jul 4, 2015
RSI Handle
Literally
Just be a crazy radicalist separatist. Believe that Terra is the new center of humanity, and that the beurocracy and corruption of the old uee is a danger to the human race. You don't have to have some motive for revenge, it seems like no one rp's the drastically unhinged but earnest terrorist anymore.

And, let's be honest. If you're Torpedoing passenger liners, you've got to be crazy, because there's no logical justification for killing hundreds of civilians
So your suggestion is to just play it to the hilt, and any resemblance to real events are purely coincidental?

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
So your suggestion is to just play it to the hilt, and any resemblance to real events are purely coincidental?
Yop. Be the terrorist you wanna be!

Reactions: mromutt

LiterallyAlty

Space Marshal
Jul 4, 2015
RSI Handle
Literally
If anyone wants to blame my character for someone's death, go right ahead. That way, I get a backstory without effort even if it's on the level of a soap opera.

D3Mark

Grand Admiral
Sep 24, 2014
RSI Handle
D3Mark
I'm late and will read up on this later. Also, I get to (for once) lend experience to (another) RP community! Expect a lengthy post at some point.

Reactions: Arrangingstars

Derkerter

Space Marshal
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Derkerter
I used to be a DnD GM and in EVE and Evochron online I was generally a wing commander or second command in a fleet since I was "okay" at combat but great with tactics. Same with Heroes of the Storm and any other strategy game. I always fit the "role" pretty well, and like someone mentioned but I lost the quote, I'm always in a state of semi-RP when doing those things. Guess I'll need to brush up on my jargon and go Full RP.

LIGHTNINGBOLT TO STUN MEN, I LIKE PRISONERS LIGHTLY COOKED.

Arrangingstars

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Arrangingstars
Glad to see so much interest as of late. :D I am waiting a little bit for more lore before I really get into the nitty gritty of my character backstory. I normally try not to delve too deep into it only because as soon as the game comes out, I could have a completely different idea of how my character should act, etc.

I know she's going to be a merchant on a Banu MM, I haven't decided much else past that point but I have a few ideas.

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
Very helpful and informative. Excellent write up.

Does a silly 'ol geezer going CityBoppin and BarHoppin count?
In between exploring, trading and whatever comes along of course.

Reactions: Jhonon1

Arrangingstars

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Arrangingstars
Very helpful and informative. Excellent write up.

Does a silly 'ol geezer going CityBoppin and BarHoppin count?
In between exploring, trading and whatever comes along of course.
Sure! If that's what immersion is for you - to basically run a party bus and trade booze, then it would be very easy to translate that into who you are within the game and roleplay it out over voice when the time comes! :D

TheWoad

ADI Spai
Feb 15, 2015
RSI Handle
Woady McWoadface
oh cAPTAIN MY cAPTAIN! Damn caps lock....

Ok, so that's a ... small example of what it could be alike aboard a ship, during roleplay. You're probably going to be saying/doing most of those things, even if you weren't mindfully playing a character, so why not spice it up and make it more interesting by giving your character a bit more beef when you have those sorts of conversations?
I don't want anybody giving my character any beef. Unless I RP as a woman, but I don't know yet.
*shrill voice* Oh Captain my Captain!

I can't take anything seriously. Just laugh and disregard. Carry on.

Reactions: Arrangingstars

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
Never tried roleplaying, interesting :)

I think I'm gonna be a fat happy spacetrucker hauling everything I can in a freelancer max or perhaps starfarer.
Do some moonlighting as a merc from time to time in (whatever fighter I end up keeping).
Seen some stuff in the war (has there been a war? Who knows, but Ive seen stuff in it!) which may result in sudden moodchanges when triggered.
Pretty easy going all around but not a fan of space-hipsters. And children. I probably have a space dog.

As (Probably) the only one in Test that dislikes beer I think I could also a good candidate for beer-quartermaster.

My catchprhase would be: This isnt even my final form! which I would use mostly when people call me fat.

Filer

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Filer
Stars, are you planning on putting together some RP groupings, with people who have a similar idea of what type of roles we're going to want to do? If we post a bit of a profile of where we thing our headspace is at - you could apply your subject-matter expertise to who will play nicely together, and those who really won't?

Here was what I put together last year:
Despite coming from an affluent and well-connected family, Filer opted to enlist in the UEE Navy as an Independent Duty Corpsman - instead of seeking Officer Candidacy. There, he served for 10 years flying aeromedical evacuations with the UEE Marine Corps' forward-deployed Fleet Anti-Terrorism Security Teams. Upon departing the UEE military, on his home-world of Persei Rhetor, he completed medical school and a PhD connections between terraforming, artificial climates and conflict on outer worlds.

Filer is the son of the prominent politician, Fi'ler, whom has tenured for 32 years as a Senator on Terra. Fi'ler owes much of his political longevity to being a vocal proponent for aggressive intervention in response to any unrest on settlement worlds. While with the Marines, Filer saw that the UEE was capable of extreme brutality. Now, he often operates on the fringes of UEE law - supporting those who suffer deprivations or forced migrations, and he continues to research an equation to predict and prevent conflict based on climatic, social and political events.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
I'm going to RP as.....Myself. What would I do in space? Will the freedom I'm given turn me rotten, or will my moral fabric keep me in the light? Time will only tell, my friends.

Forgot your password?