RTX 2080/2080 Ti BENCHMARKS ARE IN!

Citadel

Grand Admiral
Sep 2, 2018
RSI Handle
Citadel_MD
I’m sticking with my 1080ti and will look at the next gen after 2080ti. Hopefully Intel will have their video cards by then (and be competitive) or AMD will step up their game. Nvidia needs the competition and then prices will come down.
My thoughts exactly....I have a 1080 and tbh I weren't looking to upgrade anytime soon I'm also hoping that the gen after the 2080 series will be a worthwhile upgrade!

Taliyon

Commander
Sep 19, 2018
RSI Handle
Taliyon
I think what bothers me most about this generation of GPU's, is the implied capabilities for potentially awesome graphics features. Ray-tracing and the like. I'd pay the top dollar to not have the features until they're ironed out. I hate the years in between where these new rendering/shading/features etc. are crammed into every game, but are not functional without a massive performance hit until they've matured. And by then, the next generation of gpu's are out. By the time devs are masters of the process, the 1st generation of hardware becomes obsolete.

We've had a good couple of years in this regard. I think it could get messy again in the near future.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
The risk CIG would be taking is that they'd be adding this in ONLY for people using nVidia cards. They'd also have to have some compatibility for AMD cards, and who knows if RTX works with Vulcan or not.

So it might be one of those things where sure they'd love to have it, but then the cost of maintaining everything else skyrockets, and it's easier just to not have it at all.

Who knows. I would definitely like to know CR's take on it.
They could always let Nvidia do the compatability integration for the marketing and put out a ship to go with the card later id probably buy that in a heartbeat.

Joehockey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Apr 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Joehockey
You know this is why I like to pre-order hardware when I know that I'm ready for an upgrade and the hype is there. I pre-ordered a 2080. Didn't really see the need to spend 1200 for the 2080ti so I didn't. I got mine today. Haven't opened already working on my return with Nvidia. BUT, I pre-ordered knowing that they would sell out and if they performed insanely well, then I beat the rush to get one. No harm no foul a 1080ti arrives tomorrow thanks to Amazon Prime and I'll be good to go. Been sitting on a 970 for too long with my newer monitor it's time to step up my hardware game lol.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
You know this is why I like to pre-order hardware when I know that I'm ready for an upgrade and the hype is there. I pre-ordered a 2080. Didn't really see the need to spend 1200 for the 2080ti so I didn't. I got mine today. Haven't opened already working on my return with Nvidia. BUT, I pre-ordered knowing that they would sell out and if they performed insanely well, then I beat the rush to get one. No harm no foul a 1080ti arrives tomorrow thanks to Amazon Prime and I'll be good to go. Been sitting on a 970 for too long with my newer monitor it's time to step up my hardware game lol.
I would wait until black friday i have a feeling the price is going to plummit for 1080ti. Enthusists are going to sell their old ones on ebay and the market is going to be flooded.

Reactions: hardroc77

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
When Star Citizen was being kickstarted and Chris was blabbing on about fidelity and how many polygons ships have, we all wondered how in the world this shit was going to run on a normal computer.

The delays in Star Citizen have had an unintended result here, the technology needed to make this game run at an acceptable frame rate have caught up with us!

I told myself that I would only upgrade my 970 when Star Citizen/SQ42 is released, so it looks like that 2070 may be the card I have been waiting for!
All was intended. There are no issues. There was a plan. It was a great plan. The plan is in progress. We will update the plan as we sell plans for the plan to be updated by those plans.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Looking forward into buying the 2080, it has roughly the same performance as the 1080Ti, which has enough power for 4K 60Fps (in most games)
Everyone seems to forget DLSS. https://news.developer.nvidia.com/dlss-what-does-it-mean-for-game-developers/
If DLSS works great we might get a good gain in performance which might justify the 2080 over the 1080Ti. (The 2080Ti is definitly too expensive for me)
I don't think raytracing is currently a valid buy argument and i'm probablly not going to enable it anyway. Even the 2080Ti seems to struggle maintaining FPS in 1080p with RT one. So if Nvidia would sell a cheap 2080Ti or 2080 without RT chip this would be my card.

Last edited:

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I think what bothers me most about this generation of GPU's, is the implied capabilities for potentially awesome graphics features. Ray-tracing and the like. I'd pay the top dollar to not have the features until they're ironed out. I hate the years in between where these new rendering/shading/features etc. are crammed into every game, but are not functional without a massive performance hit until they've matured. And by then, the next generation of gpu's are out. By the time devs are masters of the process, the 1st generation of hardware becomes obsolete.

We've had a good couple of years in this regard. I think it could get messy again in the near future.
Welcome to the world of technology! This kinda stuff happens all the time.
The moral of the story is the 1080ti prices will come down so grab one?
I think the moral of the story is that new hotness costs money and those not willing to dip into their wallets can go buy previous gen GPUs.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus

JeffCraig

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 9, 2015
RSI Handle
JeffCraig
Looking forward into buying the 2080, it has roughly the same performance as the 1080Ti, which has enough power for 4K 60Fps (in most games)
Everyone seems to forget DLSS. https://news.developer.nvidia.com/dlss-what-does-it-mean-for-game-developers/
If DLSS works great we might get a good gain in performance which might justify the 2080 over the 1080Ti. (The 2080Ti is definitly too expensive for me)
I don't think raytracing is currently a valid buy argument and i'm probablly not going to enable it anyway. Even the 2080Ti seems to struggle maintaining FPS in 1080p with RT one. So if Nvidia would sell a cheap 2080Ti or 2080 without RT chip this would be my card.
People overlooking DLSS is one of the most annoying things when it comes to this generation of GPUs.

DLSS leverages the Tensor Cores, which take up a majority of all the added transistors that make the RTX chips so huge. That's a ton of space that could have been used for CUDA cores, but nVidia chose to make then Tensor cores instead. They did this for specific reasons. They are insanely more efficient for the workflows that they process. Like... insanely more efficient.

The best review I've seen for DLSS so far is here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-09-17-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-benchmarks-7001

The gains for DLSS over traditional anti-aliasing like TAA are huge (as nvidia originally reported). Obviously these gains are more drastic at higher resolutions, so these cards are really geared towards 4K more than anything else.

Granted, not very many people have 4K setups, so RTX cards don't really make sense for the majority of us. Those Tensor cores are just going to be sitting there unused (unless they're used for RT, but nvidia hasn't been clear about that yet). And yes, the prices are crazy, but people with 4K setups are generally people that don't necessarily care about that so much.

So basicaly, for 4K users, theirs 2080ti. For everyone else, there's mastercard... I mean cheap 1080tis.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
People overlooking DLSS is one of the most annoying things when it comes to this generation of GPUs.

DLSS leverages the Tensor Cores, which take up a majority of all the added transistors that make the RTX chips so huge. That's a ton of space that could have been used for CUDA cores, but nVidia chose to make then Tensor cores instead. They did this for specific reasons. They are insanely more efficient for the workflows that they process. Like... insanely more efficient.

The best review I've seen for DLSS so far is here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-09-17-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-benchmarks-7001

The gains for DLSS over traditional anti-aliasing like TAA are huge (as nvidia originally reported). Obviously these gains are more drastic at higher resolutions, so these cards are really geared towards 4K more than anything else.

Granted, not very many people have 4K setups, so RTX cards don't really make sense for the majority of us. Those Tensor cores are just going to be sitting there unused (unless they're used for RT, but nvidia hasn't been clear about that yet). And yes, the prices are crazy, but people with 4K setups are generally people that don't necessarily care about that so much.

So basicaly, for 4K users, theirs 2080ti. Forevery one else, there's mastercard... I mean cheap 1080tis.
Nice find!

JeffCraig

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 9, 2015
RSI Handle
JeffCraig
Nice find!
Well.. I guess the only benchmark they ran with DLSS on that review was Farcry 5 (at the very bottom of the article), but the difference is pretty crazy. I think there was another article on that site with more DLSS comparions, but I can't find it right now.

Here's one with Epic Infiltrator and Final Fantasy:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-9-19-geforce-rtx-2080-2080-ti-review?page=2

The 2080ti (with DLSS) almost doubles the performance of of a 1080ti (with TAA) in most games. I'm not sure how this would scale for 1080 or 1440p though, but DLSS should really be part of the equation that creates the cost analysis of the cards. All of the RTX cards increased size by 50%, and that can't be cheap for production costs.

People always counterpoint their worries about how maybe not all games will support DLSS, but I don't think that's going to be a problem. nVidia put a lot on the line here adding all these Tensor cores, and they will be pushing DLSS extremely aggressively. It's one of those things that gives them an advantage over AMD, so you can be sure that they'll try every crooked trick in the book to make sure it becomes an industry standard.

Personally, I think RTX is going to mature over time. As more "informed" benchmarks come out, people are going to finally realize that DLSS is a pretty big game changer and that it gives a very big performance boost. Its easy to hate on it now because people are trying to make these apples to apples comparisons, when it really should be apples to oranges. After all the hype dies down and people realize DLSS is here to stay, I think attitudes will shift.

I still don't recommend buying into RTX right now though, for a lot of reasons. DLSS is still only available in a few titles, and while new games will have it, it will take a while to ramp up saturation of this new tech. Same with RayTracing. I also think that nVidia will lower prices on RTX as soon as AMDs new GPUs launch. And on top of that, I really wonder if they will refresh RTX onto 7nm in a year or so. There are many good reasons to hold off, but at the same time its good to really understand what RTX has to offer. I like where nVidia is headed with RT and DLSS and I'm happy to see some innovation going on that is going to help make games look insanely better in the next few years.

Last edited:

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I was MMing and RRing but I think I'll stick with me 1080ti for now.

Forgot your password?