S.C. Audio Conflict (with solution)

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I don't know where to put this so I'll put it here on the off-chance it helps someone someday. Yesterday I discovered I couldn't run Star Citizen. The launcher starts fine, but clicking Launch Game did not work. I got just a loading screen. game would not run. I checked the RSI site, and sure enough there are a few issues surrounding this, but no advice other than than "do a clean re-install", which I had already done, twice.
I also found some information related to graphic driver and audio issues, that had similar symptoms.

Now, I've been around software long enough to know that computers do nothing randomly. They can't even generate random numbers randomly. Everything a computer does, is because a something told it to do it. So, if a program used to work, and now doesn't - then something changed. Most likely changes are from a very short list:

Reason why previously working software fails.
  1. Your computer developed a hardware issue that is causing this behavior (unlikely but given enough users eventually...)
  2. You changed a setting that caused it. <== Number 2 reason. Usually changing a setting will not stop software from working, it just changes how it works.
  3. You installed some software that did it for you <== number 1

The first thing you should do in a situation where previously working software stopped working is to back out of any changes you've made to your system, software, or hardware.

My problem was software related, and possibly related to graphic issues, or audio issues (according to the kind of issues I read on RSI's website). All my graphic drivers and settings are the same as before, and the drivers are the latest. Oh bingo. On Thursday night I had installed Warzone 2100. It installs a 3D audio library called OpenAL. That was the only change on that computer, other than rebooting it on Saturday after Star Citizen failed to start.

Removing OpenAL fixed the problem with Star Citizen.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
You left out the A #1 reason why stuff won't work on a computer: Gremlins!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzmS2oDMPc0

(in all honesty, the instant something doesn't work, I typically reboot the computer using a previous restore point, and then go through the list of "what did I most recently install?" checklist).

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Some of us grew up during the days of 'never restart unless everything is correct'...oh the joys of having to use DOS prompt and edit to fix registry and command files because the system crashed before you could get all the settings correct in Windows.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Some of us grew up during the days of 'never restart unless everything is correct'...oh the joys of having to use DOS prompt and edit to fix registry and command files because the system crashed before you could get all the settings correct in Windows.
My 1st PC was a 1984 Panasonic portable computer (that was a year before the Tandy was launched) which had no actual hard drive & ran using 2 5inch floppies. 1 of them was usually DOS of some sort. (Starting with DOS 1.0) The other would operate whatever other program I was attempting to run. So I fully understand these frustrations.

Reactions: StdDev

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
While not quite a Gremlin, just as much fun. LoL

*Mental note, create time travel, go back in time & manage to have Wayne where a Star Citizen cap & a few of them where TEST Squadron t-shirts just to blow everybody's minds almost 3 decades later.*

The electric guitar on display is to Wayne as the 890J is to me. "It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine."

Reactions: StdDev and Deroth
Forgot your password?