marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
@MikeNificent had some problems with his Aurora LN. Maybe the cause was replaced coolers and power plants. I wanted to TEST this out, so I rented some coolers and power plants. I couldn't bug my rented LN, but I noticed that coolers and power plants now make a difference.

With the stock coolers and power plants I could fire the Bulldog and M3A together approximately 65 M3A shots, before both were overheated. The Bulldog faster than the M3A, but it took much longer before the Bulldog overheated then I remembered from previous PU versions.
With the rented coolers I could fire the Bulldog and M3A together approximately 45 M3A shots, before also the M3A got overheated.
With the rented coolers and the rented power plants I could fire the Bulldog and M3A together approximately 55 M3A shots, before also the M3A got overheated.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I guess that I crapped my coolers or the mounts on the LN, after buying pairs of every cooler I can't reproduce the overheat times anymore :disappointed_relieved:
The M3A always is overheated after 53 shots, it doesn't matter if I use 2 or 4 M3As. The IR also is the same, doesn't matter which cooler I use. Idle always 92, with 2 guns overheated always 175, with 4 guns overheated always 260. Seems like the coolers don't get replaced anymore, no matter how often I switch them.
The power plant do matter. The stock Hypergen has an EM of 671, the Overdrive has an EM of 545 and the Regulus has an EM of 25. I busted the Regulus, after 2 runs it doesn't charge the guns anymore. Now I need to rent some new ships to mount and hold my broken parts and rent new parts :joy: This looks very similar to to ammo bug.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
The power plant do matter. The stock Hypergen has an EM of 671, the Overdrive has an EM of 545 and the Regulus has an EM of 25.
EM 25 for the Regulus seems bugged. my TEST data for the LN TESTs:
  • AMRS Hypergen - IR 92 - EM 671
  • A&R Overdrive - IR 92 - EM 545
  • Aegis Regulus - IR 92 - EM 25

Component data:
  • AMRS HyperGen - IR pool multiplier 1.00 - EM multiplier 1.25
  • A&R Overdrive - IR pool multiplier 0.8 - EM multiplier 1.0
  • Aegis Regulus - IR pool multiplier 0.85 - EM multiplier 1.0
Now some fast analytics.
  • I don't have to calculate IR, 3 different pool multipliers, 3 exactly the same data. The power plants don't affect the IR like they should.
  • 671 / 1.25 = 537, close enough to 545, seems to be approximately good.
  • 545 / 25 = 22, wow, the Regulus is major bugged
If missiles also believe the EM values, than the Regulus is the best power plant you can buy, no EM missile will ever find you. The only problem is, the Regulus also is the only power plant that broke during switching. I will see if I can reproduce this behaviour on my loaner F7C.

[EDIT] I rented 2 new Aegis Regulus and mounted them on my loaner F7C, EM 25 :astonished:
Then I fired my 3 Panthers, first run 60 / 70 shots? :sweat_smile:(they shoot faster than the M3A, hard to count)
Second run 40 shots:unamused:
Third run 0 :thinking:

I got my rented ES and went to free flight, EM something around 500 - 600, then I switched of my power plant, EM 25. The Aegis Regulus is broken. It just doesn't deliver any power, not in the LN, not in the ES, not in the F7C, maybe in another ship.

The coolers are confusing. I don't know if they suppose to cool your weapons faster or if they suppose to lower your IR.
TEST data:
  • WCPR Berian - idle 92 - 2 M3A overheated 175 - 4 M3A overheated 260
  • JSPN Cryo-Star - idle 92 - 2 M3A overheated 175 - 4 M3A overheated 260
  • WCPR Endo - idle 92 - 2 M3A overheated 175 - 4 M3A overheated 260
Component data:
  • WCPR Berian - IR pool multiplier 0.6 - cooling 400
  • JSPN Cryo-Star - IR pool multiplier 0.7 - cooling 455
  • WCPR Endo - IR pool multiplier 0.8 - cooling 520
The idle IR isn't modified, just like with power plants, the weapons take exactly the same time to overheat and to cooldown. It seems like coolers don't matter, yet.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The coolers are confusing. I don't know if they suppose to cool your weapons faster or if they suppose to lower your IR.
My study of the 2.5 docs suggests that this is more complex than either of these. It appears each ship has a heat pool attached to it that is then modified by the mere presence of engines, weapons and other special components (not their use!) and then from that pool moment by moment you do heat management, based upon the use of specific items. To make matters much more complex, there is a very different system for the Vanduul craft and the Vanduul reactors and coolers probably will not be swappable into EUU ships, unlike their weapons.

So the cooler works on the entire system, not the weapons, but when the system overloads the weapons will shut down. This is designed I think to be like the power system, in that an active crew member doing heat management will be able to squeak high performance out of ships that they otherwise could never manage.

Large cooling rates, low power usage, large negative heat/power ratio numbers, and additions to the pool are the things to look for. Also low IR multipliers (below 1) if you are looking for stealth. You will not get that by accident. Stealth systems will definitely overheat more easily. See the reactor and cooler tabs here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13LzkKzDOKIdrhwL5E2n2Co6THa74A2izxn8lykDuPAk/edit#gid=472250922

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
It appears each ship has a heat pool attached to it that is then modified by the mere presence of engines, weapons and other special components (not their use!) and then from that pool moment by moment you do heat management, based upon the use of specific items. To make matters much more complex, there is a very different system for the Vanduul craft and the Vanduul reactors and coolers probably will not be swappable into EUU ships, unlike their weapons.

So the cooler works on the entire system, not the weapons, but when the system overloads the weapons will shut down. This is designed I think to be like the power system, in that an active crew member doing heat management will be able to squeak high performance out of ships that they otherwise could never manage.
If I'm understanding this correct, than better coolers won't let your weapons overheat slower. If weapons, engines, shields and other components deplete your heat pool by their combined use, then you only can use as much heat as the coolers cool, the heat pool stays depleted if you use the full cooling capacity, until you let the heat pool refill.

See the reactor and cooler tabs here:
There is a new sheet for 2.6:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11B81QpGLgc2GeFsfLnVQLxGrqIfhKDKW1BiZ44E2HV8

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
Some good information in here.
My Aegis Regulus works on my tracker and wildfire.
I haven't calculated whether it is a benefit yet.
Change is inevitable. Just when you think you have it figured out.....

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
If I'm understanding this correct, than better coolers won't let your weapons overheat slower.
I believe this is correct. Someone asked in the CIG forums last year about attaching a cooler to a specific weapon and there was a lengthy explanation that this is not how they work. Probably we will not be able to improve cycle rates or time to overheat by adding a cooler, but we will add time to overheat the entire ship and have complete system failure.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
So the real answer is to buy a Beerfarer.
Logic follows:
Beer is always cold (heresy otherwise)
Beerfarer has lots of beer.
Lots of beer does two things:
1.spills on hot components and cools them
2.gets us drunk, so hot things don't feel as hot.

Somewhere in my reasoning, ships fly and shoot better when beer cooled.

Done and done.

Forgot your password?