save the internet

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
didnt we just go through something similar with net neutrality in america? Even with the vast amount of people against the repeal, it still happened. Might be too late for this too.
Net Neutrality (and the repeal of it) was really the opposite. NN said the government could tell the internet how to act. it was signed in '15 by Obama. the mainstream media, being against anything Trump does, made people freak out about it's repealing because we didn't have the internet before '15. In reality, the repeal of NN was saying the government does not have control over the internet.

Europe has been a lost cause for some time now, with an authoritarian government (The EU) that is not elected by the people. that seeks to control everything, just go ask any kid to blow up a ballon in Europe and see what I mean. or try to own a knife in London. and this is just the latest in a long line of steps the new ruling class in Europe have made. because having a suppressive surveillance network looking at EVERYTHING posted by your citizens NEVER turns out bad (HI NSA thanks for checking in :kissing_heart:). Long story short those that do not understand history are doomed to repeat it, and every time people are given all power to a ruling class it is always abused.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Net Neutrality (and the repeal of it) was really the opposite. NN said the government could tell the internet how to act. it was signed in '15 by Obama. the mainstream media, being against anything Trump does, made people freak out about it's repealing because we didn't have the internet before '15. In reality, the repeal of NN was saying the government does not have control over the internet.

Europe has been a lost cause for some time now, with an authoritarian government (The EU) that is not elected by the people. that seeks to control everything, just go ask any kid to blow up a ballon in Europe and see what I mean. or try to own a knife in London. and this is just the latest in a long line of steps the new ruling class in Europe have made. because having a suppressive surveillance network looking at EVERYTHING posted by your citizens NEVER turns out bad (HI NSA thanks for checking in :kissing_heart:). Long story short those that do not understand history are doomed to repeat it, and every time people are given all power to a ruling class it is always abused.
I know net neutrality was the opposite of what the issue is here at hand, but the US had a big internet problem earlier this year and politicians were involved and there wasnt much we (as the people) could do other than complain officially and unofficially. Same concept applies here, nothing we can do but complain officially and unofficially.

Reactions: Bambooza and Sraika

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
Net Neutrality was a lot different from the government being able to tell the internet how to act. It was directed towards ISPs, and basically told them to treat all data equally. Sure, it sets a precedent of the government deciding how ISPs treat data, but then, repealing it just lets the ISPs essentially run amok and tag everything with extra charges (it creates an unregulated free market controlled by a monopoly, which is a bad idea in almost any circumstance).

That said, this thread is about the EU copyright filter thingy, which somehow manages to be even worse. To summarize it, they want to create some sort of system to check literally everything on the internet for copyright violations. Ignoring the many, many technical issues with this (and believe me, there is a metric fuckton of technical issues), the social issues are almost worse. There's no way it doesn't violate the freedom of speech, it's an even bigger privacy concern than the NSA, it's clearly going to be exploited by large companies, there's not really a way to oversee it properly, so it's not going to be accountable to anyone/anything, and all of that is ignoring the fact that it's going to be wrong far too much of the time. You think youtube's copyright filters are a little too trigger-happy? This'll be a hundred times worse. And none of this even takes into account the insane amounts of money it's going to cost literally everyone. The EU is likely going to have to spend billions to create the thing, and once it's in place, everyone else is going to have to pay a ton of money. It's clear that the people who proposed this are both technologically illiterate and completely uncaring of public opinion.

Even with all of that, (as @Printimus said: ) we're still basically limited to complaining about it ineffectually. A quick google should give you some official government places to complain to, if you live in the EU. If you don't, um, i've no idea. Complain to people who do live in the EU, i guess.

Reactions: Bambooza

Cyril

Space Marshal
Feb 13, 2016
RSI Handle
Cyril
In many ways what the EU is voting on is far more dangerous that any of the stupid crap the US has pulled lately. Its actually a lot more like the dumb ass trade war trump is starting, in that it is largely aimed at punishing Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc. for not being EU companies.

If I were Google I'd block all search and news access from the EU Monday & Tuesday with full page banners about how to voice your opinion. That would make the awareness and the outrage epic in volume. Then again the EU would probably figure out a way to fine them for that too...

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
In many ways what the EU is voting on is far more dangerous that any of the stupid crap the US has pulled lately. Its actually a lot more like the dumb ass trade war trump is starting, in that it is largely aimed at punishing Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc. for not being EU companies.

If I were Google I'd block all search and news access from the EU Monday & Tuesday with full page banners about how to voice your opinion. That would make the awareness and the outrage epic in volume. Then again the EU would probably figure out a way to fine them for that too...
yeah, block google searches, cause thats HELPING the problem..... Are you even paying attention here?

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
All I can say is, I'm glad my family moved to the USA from Europe 150 years ago.

Reactions: Beerjerker

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
Net Neutrality was a lot different from the government being able to tell the internet how to act. It was directed towards ISPs, and basically told them to treat all data equally. Sure, it sets a precedent of the government deciding how ISPs treat data, but then, repealing it just lets the ISPs essentially run amok and tag everything with extra charges (it creates an unregulated free market controlled by a monopoly, which is a bad idea in almost any circumstance).
So Net Neutrality by itself was a good thing, however, the president it set was VERY VERY bad. It said the government could control data flow, and if it can control data flow it's only a small step to controlling the data itself. I myself think an unregulated free market is one of the best things for consumers and it breeds competition for your business. so the only issue I have is the word, "monopoly" and that too can be laid in this case at the hands of the Government (at least here in the states) as when a provider movies into an area they sign a contract with the local government that makes them the only provider in the area, this is what leads to monopolies (See Map), and it took the massive Google to start the break up by headbutting its way into the market.

You see almost total control given over by state, (not sure of the date of the map, but think it is a little out of date.)

Reactions: Sraika

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
So Net Neutrality by itself was a good thing, however, the president it set was VERY VERY bad. It said the government could control data flow, and if it can control data flow it's only a small step to controlling the data itself. I myself think an unregulated free market is one of the best things for consumers and it breeds competition for your business. so the only issue I have is the word, "monopoly" and that too can be laid in this case at the hands of the Government (at least here in the states) as when a provider movies into an area they sign a contract with the local government that makes them the only provider in the area, this is what leads to monopolies (See Map), and it took the massive Google to start the break up by headbutting its way into the market.
I get your point about the government controlling data, but i will say that the problem that Net Neutrality was intended to solve is that the ISPs are already controlling the data. It basically comes down to which one is worse, the government or big corporations.
I do agree that the issue with monopolies is also largely the governments fault, and also that Net Neutrality also doesn't actually solve it, merely alleviates some of the symptoms. I'm not sure there is actually a good solution, though.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
(it creates an unregulated free market controlled by a monopoly, which is a bad idea in almost any circumstance).

I was thinking about this with AT&T and COMCAST buying up everything this year. Perhapes the solution is to let them go through with these purchases and consolidations and then when they are complete hit them with Antitrust and Monopoly charges breaking them back up into many little companies like what happened to AT&T back in 1982.

Reactions: Sraika

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
I was thinking about this with AT&T and COMCAST buying up everything this year. Perhapes the solution is to let them go through with these purchases and consolidations and then when they are complete hit them with Antitrust and Monopoly charges breaking them back up into many little companies like what happened to AT&T back in 1982.
Y'know, that could actually work. I mean, i don't see the current government actually doing that, but we can always hope, eh?

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
I get your point about the government controlling data, but i will say that the problem that Net Neutrality was intended to solve is that the ISPs are already controlling the data. It basically comes down to which one is worse, the government or big corporations.
I do agree that the issue with monopolies is also largely the governments fault, and also that Net Neutrality also doesn't actually solve it, merely alleviates some of the symptoms. I'm not sure there is actually a good solution, though.
At the end of the day, I trust companies more than the government. yes NN solved ISPs controlling data, at the cost of government controlling data. companies go where there is money, governments where there is power, money is easier and better for the consumer. Just look at what happened when Google Fiber was coming to towns, everyone had to put their tryhard hats on, my internet speeds increased by so much just because Google was going to kick their asses if they did not. that is the free market. when you have the choice and the company has to make the product or service you want. and that will always. ALWAYS be better made, better quality and for a better price.

speed test.PNG

Thank you, Google for making TWC do its job.

Reactions: Bambooza and Sraika

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
At the end of the day, I trust companies more than the government. yes NN solved ISPs controlling data, at the cost of government controlling data. companies go where there is money, governments where there is power, money is easier and better for the consumer. Just look at what happened when Google Fiber was coming to towns, everyone had to put their tryhard hats on, my internet speeds increased by so much just because Google was going to kick their asses if they did not. that is the free market. when you have the choice and the company has to make the product or service you want. and that will always. ALWAYS be better made, better quality and for a better price.

View attachment 9930
Thank you, Google for making TWC do its job.

Google is also a good demonstration of Companies starting to flex their political agenda. While I has been commonplace for Media companies we are now starting to see it from Google and Facebook.

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
Google is also a good demonstration of Companies starting to flex their political agenda. While I has been commonplace for Media companies we are now starting to see it from Google and Facebook.
yes companies are becoming (more) political, but for me, it's about choice over forced. everything any government does, they force, at gunpoint. whereas a company has to earn your money, they want you to use whatever they make because they want to make money. so they can be as political as they want in my mind, I don't really care... even those sometimes I disagree with them, and sometimes it makes my life more annoying if they have a product I really like or want I will pay for it if it's the best product on the market. whereas the government does not have that need, they take your money, then throw some junk at you, they don't care if you need it, or if it even works.

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
Luckily this law will most likely be cancelled by the courts. Too much violation of privacy in it to stand.

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
I hope so.
Well even so. It will take some time for the courts canceling it. Which could be bad enough for some platforms - the uncertainty (did I write that correctly? - edit no I didn't) might already be enough. My guess is that this is the main intention of of this initiative. The lobbyists behind that want to shake up the market.

And (yet another edit) of course they also want to expand their borders like little children do

Last edited:
Forgot your password?