SC crashes regularly in big hubs

Doppelwopper

Ensign
Dec 21, 2023
RSI Handle
ImpulsOne
Hey dear readers,

so my SC crashes regularly after playing some time or staying too long in/ reentering big Hubs (Planets or Space Stations).
I tried numerous troubleshooting tips (SMT on/off, clean reinstall, stuff like that). FPS while in those problemparts are about 30~40ish with 2560 x 1440 resolution. (In space/ on planets FPS stabilizes at around 60~90)
Specs are:
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X (8 core 3,8GHz - 4,5GHz)
RAM: 32GB
GPU: GeForce RTX 3060ti

After a crash log file reads as follows:
"[browser][error]": "Star Citizen process exited abnormally (code: 732823393) : Command failed: C:\\Program Files\\Roberts Space Industries\\StarCitizen\\LIVE\\StarCitizen_Launcher.exe -no_login_dialog -envtag PUB --client-login-show-dialog 0 --services-config-enabled 1 --system-trace-service-enabled 1

Didn't find anything online so far.

I'd be really glad for any kind of help since, at this point, it's almost impossible to enjoy a sweet Session of mining and selling!

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Your PC has better specs than mine & definitely runs better based on your FPS stats, so I'd have to ask what sort of drive you have it loaded on as Deroth did before me.

Personally, I have my Star Citizen loaded on an SSD all by itself so that there's plenty of space & no worries about file sizes.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Yeh it's a bit of a weird one as it should just work nice whether your in space on your own or down on a big city.

Could be your graphics card overheating or something - have a look at your settings try bumping the fan speed up on the GFX card.

Another thing you could do to test the GFX card is run Furmark for 20 mins - if it doesn't crash then it's fine.

Doppelwopper

Ensign
Dec 21, 2023
RSI Handle
ImpulsOne
I changed the shader cache from "driver" to unlimited and no chrash so far (been hoping on and off space stations)
I'll try new babage in a sec.
CPU and GPU are around 90~95% usage, the CPU wiggles around 60~80°C (most of the time constant at 60ish) and my GPU stays pretty constant at 75°C aswell, still think it could be the GPU since some people had problems with the 30XX series

• o7

Doppelwopper

Ensign
Dec 21, 2023
RSI Handle
ImpulsOne
So, I landed on a couple of mining stations on microTech and everything was fine. GPU was chill, CPU was chill, some freeze frames tho here and there.
After that I was pretty confidend and flew to New Babbage, requested a Landing Pad and a couple meters before seeing the open hatch, freeze, sound cut off and there it was, my desktop.
I don't really know where to look for now, I see the spike in "3D" but i don't really know what that means.
Any thoughts?

crashspike.jpg

• o7

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Also run cinebench on repeat mode to see if your CPU is stable.

• o7

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Just in case that your GPU and your Gaming SSD are innocent...
What's the situation on your sysdrvive? Usually drive C:.
For some reason or another SC hosts the shadercache under %localappdata% . So C:\Users\Your-name-here\appdata\local\star citizen or somesuch.
And if the shadercache goes corrupt for whatever reason, down goes your game.
So how about you chkdsk the drive just for laughs and giggles.
Using tools like ChrystalDiskInfo might help too.
Oh, and I know this sounds absurd but... your system disk isn't mechanical, right?
Or one of those ssd/mechanical hybrids that where all the rage once.
Another question, this time about the SSD you got. That wouldn't happen to be a Samsung 870 QVO or another drive with QLC (Quad Level Cell) Chips?
Those models are fine enough and cheap too. Only they suddenly loose speed when their cache cloggs up from bigger data streams.
Oh well, some many possibilities.
And that's just the file system... :-P

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I'm at a loss to further help other than to ask if you've deleted your User file from SC & emptied your trash. With all the recent updates we've had recently & with how that can sometimes be an issue, it's all that comes to my mind. Sorry that I'm not more help.

Reactions: Mudhawk

Doppelwopper

Ensign
Dec 21, 2023
RSI Handle
ImpulsOne
Thank you all for your time and all those suggestions!
I remembered alot of stuff in the process of trying to fix SC and I'm very glad because of this.

In the end someone in the SC discord read my chrashfiles and told me I was running out of RAM and indeed I gave my system a limit. Everytime I exceeded that Limit SC went haywire.
After chaning the (vram I think) setting to systemmanaged I was able to not only play for 6 hours without a crash but I was landing left and right in all those big locations.

So in the end it was again a Layer 8 problem ^^"

Thanks everybody!

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Thank you all for your time and all those suggestions!
I remembered alot of stuff in the process of trying to fix SC and I'm very glad because of this.

In the end someone in the SC discord read my chrashfiles and told me I was running out of RAM and indeed I gave my system a limit. Everytime I exceeded that Limit SC went haywire.
After chaning the (vram I think) setting to systemmanaged I was able to not only play for 6 hours without a crash but I was landing left and right in all those big locations.

So in the end it was again a Layer 8 problem ^^"

Thanks everybody!
That's wonderful & I'm happy that you're able to enjoy your SC experience all the more now.

Question for you, have you submitted an introduction post yet? I'm sure that I'm not alone in looking to get forward to learning about you my new friend.

Reactions: Mudhawk and Deroth
Forgot your password?