SC DisplayInfo question

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I thought it was all memory used by the game, both physical and virtual? My numbers are hitting a max of about 13xxx (19xxx) last time a checked, and I got 16GB ram. The 13xxx is the physical RAM usage, that seems clear as my task manager is showing about the same numbers for physical. I'm curious myself. Gonna go check...

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I think it's the total amount Committed to memory by SC.
My baseline Committed before running SC was 5.2-5.3 Gb
SC mem 1.jpg

After running SC, committed went over 23 gb, while that number in SC was showing 18xxx
SC mem 2a.jpg

SC mem 2b.jpg

Notes: I was running a disk to disk copy and PS in the background, thus the high baseline and drive usage. Also I'm running 2 monitors with the task manager open on one and the game on the other, so I could follow both committed and that number in brackets rising at the same time. Also note that I forgot to take a picture of the baseline before I ran SC so it's from after, but that shouldn't really matter in this case.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
First field is Memory in Use. Second (in parenthesis) is Total Allocated Memory. The values for the session peaks are also displayed, meaning 'the maximum memory used this session, and the maximum allocated this session."

The values do not indicate if virtual memory is being used or not. Your system is using roughly 24 GB of memory to play the game. ~10 of that is for execution, the other ~14 is reserved for variables and objects, for the total of 24 GB allocated.

This does not indicate that virtual memory is in use or not... unless of course the numbers are higher than your installed RAM. But your system may push things to virtual memory anyway, depending on what other demands there are on memory on your system. With 24 Gb in use by one program in a 32 Gb system, chances are pretty high there's a little bit of page-file use.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
First field is Memory in Use. Second (in parenthesis) is Total Allocated Memory. The values for the session peaks are also displayed, meaning 'the maximum memory used this session, and the maximum allocated this session."

The values do not indicate if virtual memory is being used or not. Your system is using roughly 24 GB of memory to play the game. ~10 of that is for execution, the other ~14 is reserved for variables and objects, for the total of 24 GB allocated.

This does not indicate that virtual memory is in use or not... unless of course the numbers are higher than your installed RAM. But your system may push things to virtual memory anyway, depending on what other demands there are on memory on your system. With 24 Gb in use by one program in a 32 Gb system, chances are pretty high there's a little bit of page-file use.
Thank you. Finally.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
What does the number in parentheses mean? I know the number next to it is physical RAM use because I can see it in task manager.

View attachment 9526
I can't tell you for sure what they mean, but I can tell you 2 things for sure.

1st, those numbers are far higher than I'd like to try counting on my fingers.

2nd, those numbers look like a decent target goal of drinks served to TESTies at a weekend long TESTcon.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
2nd, those numbers look like a decent target goal of drinks served to TESTies at a weekend long TESTcon.
Friend of mine just got back from 3 weeks vacation in Mexico with his wife and another couple. He and the other guy used it as an excuse to drink cheap beer. Actually my friend is an army vet, who just received his prosthetic arm from the VA after 12 years. It's a pretty cool looking terminator arm. It's all electronic and hooked up to nerves in his upper arm etc, he's learning how to use it. It has 80 psi pressure though when he squeezes the hand shut. So. The locals were giving him free drinks for every beer can he could open by crushing the can. I mean it costs a $1.00 a beer so why not , for some entertainment, get drunk, get free drinks.

He told me between him and his buddy, they had something around 600 drinks, a lot of which was beer. The last 4 days before he got home, he couldn't drink anything. Why is this relevant? He plays a little SC, but isn't affiliated with an org, and I am hoping to make him a Testie some day.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Friend of mine just got back from 3 weeks vacation in Mexico with his wife and another couple. He and the other guy used it as an excuse to drink cheap beer. Actually my friend is an army vet, who just received his prosthetic arm from the VA after 12 years. It's a pretty cool looking terminator arm. It's all electronic and hooked up to nerves in his upper arm etc, he's learning how to use it. It has 80 psi pressure though when he squeezes the hand shut. So. The locals were giving him free drinks for every beer can he could open by crushing the can. I mean it costs a $1.00 a beer so why not , for some entertainment, get drunk, get free drinks.

He told me between him and his buddy, they had something around 600 drinks, a lot of which was beer. The last 4 days before he got home, he couldn't drink anything. Why is this relevant? He plays a little SC, but isn't affiliated with an org, and I am hoping to make him a Testie some day.
Based on your description, your friend sounds like he'd fit right in. He loves beer & SC, we love veterans & those who serve in the military, sounds like a great match to me. I'll be most happy to welcome your friend. Cheers!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
If it's virtual memory, that's "paging file use". It's about 120 times slower than DDR4 RAM on a spinning HD, not so different in an SSD (which is just a bunch of high speed flash memory) So, if you use an SSD, using virtual memory isn't such a big deal. Memory is faster, but by a much smaller factor. If you're using a spinning HD, any action that takes 1 second in RAM, could take as long as 2 minutes.

Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?