SCANNING and MINING

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Time Index 31M explains exactly why you want a dedicated scan crew station or more. With 8 levels of scan dependent upon how wide an angle you scan, the time it takes to scan a large area with powerful long range scan is going to be long, and take serious attention. Ships with dedicated scan stations and scan crew are going to be much better at getting data far further away, and so see before they are seen.

Clandestine

Grand Admiral
May 12, 2018
RSI Handle
Clandestine
I think many more ships will be able to do such scanning with modules. I imagine the Orion is going to have one hell of a scanner too. It's probably a function of the radar, but I do believe it's imperative to have someone dedicated to it.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Scan all the things! Finally my terrapin will become more than just a lumbering pea shooter!! :D

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
While I agree that all the ships will have scanning of one sort or another, I expect that some ships will be much better at scanning so that you need other people in other ships. The exploration ships have scanning as their function, much like a mining ship has a mining laser and tractor beam for it's function. Other ships can shoot rocks and carry a tractor beam to haul them in, but the mining ships are specialized to that. So, Beta, LX, 315p, Freelancer DUR, Aquila, 600i Explorer and Carrack have to be good at scanning for exploration, whether it's a new jumppoint you are looking for or titanium ore. The other class is the scanning ships like the Cyclone TR, Tracker, Terrapin, Reliant Sen, possibly the Herald and the Endeavor with telescope array. I expect all those ships to have significant power and range capability over something like a Sabre or a Hull C.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
CIG has been very close lipped about hat they intend, but according to the current docs and official vids, there are two issues.

There are four scanner sizes planned: Small, Medium, Large and Capital.

There are 8 levels of "focus" if you like, where you narrow the 360* scan pattern and get enhanced range. No word if you can do this on the fly, or if this is hardware installed.

My guess is, ships that are specialized in scan such as the Sen, Tracker, Turtle and Carrack have an oversized scan module to start--so in these cases, the first three might have a Medium scan package and the Carrack would have Capital. One suspects they will require the focus level to be set in hardware, but we'll see. Could be very large, elaborate packages like the Carrack can reconfigure on the fly.

But this is all mere conjecture.

Forgot your password?