Scotch. Scotchy scotch scotch.

TexasSkulls

Identifies as an Aurora Missile
Donor
Jul 18, 2015
RSI Handle
TexasSkulls
Balvenie fan here. 14-year Caribbean Cask, or 17-year Doublewood, if you want to spend the extra dollars. BUT... above all else, don't ever let anyone tell you how you're supposed to drink scotch, and that you're doing it wrong any other way. At the end of the day, it's what tastes best to you and how you most enjoy it. Ice, no ice, chilled, room temperature, it's all preference...

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
Balvenie fan here. 14-year Caribbean Cask, or 17-year Doublewood, if you want to spend the extra dollars. BUT... above all else, don't ever let anyone tell you how you're supposed to drink scotch, and that you're doing it wrong any other way. At the end of the day, it's what tastes best to you and how you most enjoy it. Ice, no ice, chilled, room temperature, it's all preference...
Yeah haha I used to get flak because I like chilling mine before consuming it. For me it brings out the flavors I like :) Then again I like the middle price point stuff. Though I will admit I am more of a whiskey and bourbon guy, mostly whiskey.

Rainshine

Captain
Donor
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
RainingLight
Honestly, I think scotch is vastly overpostured for what it is. For sure, it's a decent quality whisky by it's design(since Scotch must come from Scotland so there's no cheap knockoffs), but in the end it's just peaty whisky.

I'm not sure how it got the reputation as a "classy" beverage, but it's pretty undeserved. It's good, but in the end it's just fancy whisky. Call me a savage and give me a mid shelf bottle of bourbon any day.

To be fair, though, I despise "wine culture" as well...bunch of namby, pamby, cookie-dough motherfuckers going on and on about "notes" and "hints"...they need a job.

Harkuno

Sticker King
May 14, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkuno
...but in the end it's just peaty whisky...
I can definately disagree with this - Not all scotch is peated; Take Bruichladdich and Tobermory for example :), although in the end it all boils down to personal preference and tastes.
...I despise "wine culture" as well...bunch of namby, pamby, cookie-dough motherfuckers going on and on about "notes" and "hints"...they need a job.
[TRIGGERED]
:D

Harkuno

Sticker King
May 14, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkuno
(regarding lagavulin, i think...) ...I've got to say, it's harsh, doesn't taste good at all and literally has a smokey taste/smell/feel to it like everybody says BUT I'm having problems smelling anything other than the alchohol or tasting anything in particular. I was hoping for a variety of flavors that I could try to sift through but the overwhelming harshness of the, I guess, iodine flavor of the whiskey made me almost a little queasy after the third sip.
Spirits in general can be difficult to smell, as the alcohol will dry your nose out and make it difficult to smell anything else. :)
If you're looking to get the aroma profile of something like a scotch or other similarly strong spirit, it's a good idea to dilute the spirit with water, about the same amount of water as there is spirit.

Otherwise, i pretty much agree with you on Lagavulin 16, I remember it being much nicer than what it is now (although I may have first tasted it from a bottle that had been bought a few years ago, which would let the whiskey mellow out somewhat).

dubbzy

Admiral
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
dubbzy104
While I enjoy scotch, I am definitely more of a bourbon / rye guy. As other people suggested, its all about testing a whole bunch of options and finding your preferences. It takes some time to figure out all of the flavors/sensations of a drink, but its also kinda easy to BS if you can get the basics (oak = vanilla tasting!)

and whats wrong with wine culture?

Reactions: Harkuno

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
While I enjoy scotch, I am definitely more of a bourbon / rye guy. As other people suggested, its all about testing a whole bunch of options and finding your preferences. It takes some time to figure out all of the flavors/sensations of a drink, but its also kinda easy to BS if you can get the basics (oak = vanilla tasting!)

and whats wrong with wine culture?
I have been wanting to get into rye, is there a good one you would recommend for someone new to rye? There is just so many to choose from!

Egriz

Grand Pooh-Bear
Donor
Jan 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Egriz
I have been wanting to get into rye, is there a good one you would recommend for someone new to rye? There is just so many to choose from!
Wild Turkey Rye or Bulleit Rye should be widely available and are both pretty good choices.

I enjoy bourbon & rye as well. Old Fashioned and a Manhattan are my go-to drinks. 2-1-2, stirred.

Reactions: mromutt

TheZekk

Space Marshal
Mar 23, 2015
RSI Handle
Zekk
I can't believe I missed all this scotch talk so far! I'll chime in more later today when I get to a computer.

I drink Macallan primarally. It's my favorite every day scotch, but can get pricy if you go past 12 year.

I just picked up a bottle of dalmore 12 that in looking forward to, and a set of tasters for different glenmorgannie variants.

Maxgerber5250

Grand Admiral
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt-Spicer
This is how you do it. You have to jump right into it with both feet. you have to slam the first two shots, the first two shots taste like shit anyway so get it over with. Then chase it with a sip of spiced Rum to cleanse the palate. Then give it about 15 minutes to breathe. After that drink it any way you like cause you won't give a shit what it tastes like. :D

Forgot your password?