Second Account for "Bad guy"?

Reebourne

Space Marshal
Jul 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Reebourne
Hi fellow Testies.

I have been debating starting a second account to take advantage of the Argo referral. And have been thinking on if I will need a Good Guy and a Bad Guy account. If I want to take advantage of all content.
I am not sure if the standings would contradict each other and make the process harder. What are you guys doing? or are you only playing one style? or was there a way of having 2 characters on one account?

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Hi fellow Testies.

I have been debating starting a second account to take advantage of the Argo referral. And have been thinking on if I will need a Good Guy and a Bad Guy account. If I want to take advantage of all content.
I am not sure if the standings would contradict each other and make the process harder. What are you guys doing? or are you only playing one style? or was there a way of having 2 characters on one account?
We don't know how or if you will have multiple chars in one account. Most of those I know have done as you are suggesting and simply gotten a second account and in fact, this often allows one to play both accounts at the same time if desired. But for the bigger question is will you want to? The way SC is shaping up it's going to have so much content, factions, reputation, and such that dividing your time between two accounts might just feel anticlimactic and thus you'll end up just playing one char all of the time. Factor in the increased skill and inconvenience of being hunted being a bad guy seems like something most will end up not wanting to deal with.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I think it's going to become pretty common for players to have one account for long duration exploration, infiltratioin, etc involvements tht only take plac e 1-2 times per week, and then another character they play daily. Some exploits that happen off in the far reaches and not daily deserve their own characters.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Welcome to the TEST party? (I question this as you didn't mention your main / other accounts name to know who you are or tell anything about yourself.)

I've got a pair of accounts. My main account will be mostly running around doing various things out & about through the Verse, a lot of which will be with you wonderful TESTies. The other I'll be keeping in a starting area that I'll be using to help teach & train new players the ins & outs of things free of charge to be as good of a TESTie as I can for the long term benefit if the Verse. I've been in quite a few MMO's through the years, some have had more toxic natures than others towards noobs & that can kill a new players enjoyment of the game from the start.

CIG has stated that they eventually plan on having the reputation system reflect on you how the actions of those around you go. Thus if you're known to associate with criminals, it'll lower your favor-ability with lawful factions to some degree. What we'll end up with is anybody's guess though as I doubt they imagined that there would ever be an org this size that they'd have to try to penalize all of its members over the actions of a small percentage of them, especially since at least as many that plan on being criminals will be doing positive things with the majority being neutral to some degree.

Reactions: Bambooza

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Has anyone figured out how to play two instances of SC on the same machine?

I've heard some people say to set up a second user and play through them, but that hasn't worked for me.

Another I've heard is creating a virtual machine to play off, but I'm not terribly experienced with that.

Any ideas?

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
I've been in quite a few MMO's through the years, some have had more toxic natures than others towards noobs & that can kill a new players enjoyment of the game from the start.
I like you! :D Fortunately, this type of more welcoming, helpful attitude is something I've really liked in Elite, from Fuel Rats to PvP engagements that only fight to an agreed upon level of damage rather than total destruction, etc. And so far I think the SC community on the whole has been quite on the positive side as well, which will hopefully continue!

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Interesting idea having a second account for a "bad guy".

Will we need that at TEST? Or will we just be baddddddddasssss all the time?
I've seen so many people extremely concerned about reputations and ability to travel to places, but I think this game will be fair in its design that you can be on either side of the law and access all everything there is without the need for a second account or character.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Has anyone figured out how to play two instances of SC on the same machine?

I've heard some people say to set up a second user and play through them, but that hasn't worked for me.

Another I've heard is creating a virtual machine to play off, but I'm not terribly experienced with that.

Any ideas?

With kernel level anti-cheat coming in? Probably not going to be a thing.
Frankly, even if you could ... the experience would be extremely unpleasant in a game this CPU intensive.

Cloud computing might make this possible however. Just run a second account from a remote PC on a second monitor.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Be aware that we have been told (years ago) that “associating” with criminals will impact your reputation. So don’t think you can do a whole bunch of bad things with your pirate toon, then leave the loot in a pre-determined area for your “good guy” to pick up, reclaim, etc. and get off with no impacts to your rep, eventually, the “game” will figure it out and people will see you associate with some shadowy characters and your rep will start to suffer on your good gal tool.

if you keep them separate though and don’t use one as a pass though to the other (including loaning of ships), then you should be fine.

however, don’t think that using a separate email will save you from a ban against your person though if you violate the TOS that bad (meaning they really don’t want you playing anymore). your address may be the same, the credit card number might be the same, the name in your credit card may be the same, IP address, MAC address, processor serial number, etc., and they could just ban it all if you screw up that much. They collect a TON of info when you play.

If you are really looking to do stuff that will get your household banned, you are going to have to take a lot of precautions. I would advise you to think twice, then rethink again…

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
the bigger motivation for acquiring a second character will be the 'realistic' travel times

suppose I find a lucrative asteroid belt to mine somewhere in the boonies

and TEST is doing fun stuff as a group halfway across the 'Verse

I don't want to spend my limited play time shuttling back and forth so I buy a second char

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
the bigger motivation for acquiring a second character will be the 'realistic' travel times

I don't want to spend my limited play time shuttling back and forth so I buy a second char
Indeed this can be an issue and one I really hope they continue to pursue the solution in agent smithing. Even with it not benefiting your char it still eliminates the need for needing to buy/craft multiple accounts/chars.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli

I really hope they continue to pursue the solution in agent smithing.
I was about to mention the agent smithing too. They have restated their intention to do this recently, I believe. So there is hope it'll actually be done.

Forgot your password?