Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
The sufficient term
A (men)
does NOT match the necessary term
in behavior to A (men)

Those are the two terms that have to match in order to make a valid conclusion C=B
This is called a mismatch concept.

So fight me!
... Somehow ... Why am I not surprised someone taking his LSAT would come up with
NOT A(man) --> A(man)
In logic that is a fallacy you would use to always return false. Since without any qualifier whatsoever, A(man) and A(man) must be exactly the same, not just in content but they must refer to the exact same thing. Even if A(man) is a woman, or a tomato or a herd of cattle. Because A(man) and A(man) are the same object.

Reactions: Bambooza

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
@DirectorGunner pls see spoiler, it got a bit long and we are getting really off topic with all the bacon ladies lol
I can't tell if you're being serious or joking?

The sufficient term
A (men)
in behavior to A (men)

Those are the two terms that have to match in order to make a valid conclusion C=B
This is called a mismatch concept.

So fight me!

lol, I've been busting ass studying for the LSAT, bring it!

Edit: I mean symbolically ofc, I will fight with words/logic. And digital space ship pew pews
Wait, your game has rules? I'm out!

So yeah, I'm just trolling lol I have no clue what this Logic thing is, unless it's some ios app that makes hard bass.
Seriously though, I don't know what the definitions of stuff like neccesary and sufficient and such are in this case, so I'm just talking out of my ass here =)
Now just to play along a bit more cos I'm quiet enjoying learning about this logic stuff:
From my laymens point of view you applied an arbitrary definition to "equal" and built your argument upon that. Although your definition is most likely the one that was original meant by it, without context, there is no proof of this.
So I did the same with a less likely definition I came up with, but in my case I applied my definition to both "men are" and "equal" thus explaining my argument. As it can be seen that in reality men are not pigs in every possible meaning such as in shape, size etc, so can one argue that women are not equal to men in every meaning of the word.
If I were some sorta judge or teacher or something, I would require both me and you to agree upon the meaning of "equal" first, as it defines the outcome of the argument.
So what did we learn today kids?
Context Matters!

I think I finally understand your arguments, and yes you are correct. But you were only correct assuming my description/math was correct, but I messed up! Lol
As for my original argument let's try this again by ignoring the arbitrary definitions, but accepting that those definitions are the same for both "are" and "equal", thus making both of those equal.
So we are left with:
A : Men
B : pigs
C : Women
The "=" sign : "are" or "equal" (this is where I messed up last time. If we accept whatever "equal" means is the same as whatever "are" means, it's the only way the maths makes sense. Of course if we accept that men are a 100% exactly the same as pigs, but women for some reason only equal men in an arbitrary factor, then it falls apart, but that's not what I'm arguing here)
A = B
C = A
C = B = A

Conclusion : we are all bacon?

Ps: I do realize that one could argue for ages over how "equal" is not the same meaning as "are" or "the same as" or "the equivalent of" because English words carry context within them, and while may translate to the same word in another language they are used in different contexts for different meanings. English is my second language so I do not know these well enough to make a valid argument.

Tldr.:
Logically and mathematically incorrect but much Better conclusion : pigs > men+women because Bacon !

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
NOT A(man) --> A(man)
Wait... what? lol
I didn't write ~A -> A
~ is one of the symbols you can use for not in shorthand

I wrote
The argument is in agreement with my point that
The sufficient term
A (men)
in behavior to A (men)
"in behavior to A" changes the term from "A" by itself
"in behavior to A" =/= "A"
eg
in behavior to a banana =/= banana
Many other fruits grow/behave like bananas, however, that does not mean those other fruits ARE bananas.

So then where did you come up with that I wrote
NOT A(man) --> A(man)

Also
Don't ad hominem me (your LSAT studying inferiority jab), attack the argument, not the source.

English is my second language so I do not know these well enough to make a valid argument.
Oh, sorry that makes sense now. I assumed English was your primary.
Yea English is stupid, same words can have contextually different meanings and even change meaning by how it's said.
like... Dude
It can mean something completely different just by how you say it.

Equal can mean a mathematical equal as in exactly the same,
or Equal can mean having the ability or resources to meet a challenge.
Women are not exactly the same as men, so I assume the meme is using the other definition of Equal as having the same ability to meet a challenge.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/equal
I looked up the definition just to be sure, as it is something I understood but took for granted.

To follow up...
This part
A = B
C = A
conclusion
C = B
your structure is absolutely correct.
The structure is valid.
But that doesn't mean an argument will be sound, an argument can have a valid structure but still be unsound.
Let me re-arrange it
C=A, A=B, now it's easier to see C=B

However, this is not valid C = B = A
The B = A conclusion part would not be valid based on the two logic statements prior to it
B = A is bacon logic

Yes, bacon is delicious!
Let's go have a Bacon and beer

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Wait... what? lol
I didn't write ~A -> A
~ is one of the symbols you can use for not in shorthand

I wrote

"in behavior to A" changes the term from "A" by itself
"in behavior to A" =/= "A"
eg
in behavior to a banana =/= banana
Many other fruits grow/behave like bananas, however, that does not mean those other fruits ARE bananas.

So then where did you come up with that I wrote
NOT A(man) --> A(man)

Also
Don't ad hominem me (your LSAT studying inferiority jab), attack the argument, not the source.

Oh, sorry that makes sense now. I assumed English was your primary.
Yea English is stupid, same words can have contextually different meanings and even change meaning by how it's said.
like... Dude
It can mean something completely different just by how you say it.

Equal can mean a mathematical equal as in exactly the same,
or Equal can mean having the ability or resources to meet a challenge.
Women are not exactly the same as men, so I assume the meme is using the other definition of Equal as having the same ability to meet a challenge.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/equal
I looked up the definition just to be sure, as it is something I understood but took for granted.

To follow up...
This part
A = B
C = A
conclusion
C = B
your structure is absolutely correct.
The structure is valid.
But that doesn't mean an argument will be sound, an argument can have a valid structure but still be unsound.
Let me re-arrange it
C=A, A=B, now it's easier to see C=B

However, this is not valid C = B = A
The B = A conclusion part would not be valid based on the two logic statements prior to it
B = A is bacon logic

Yes, bacon is delicious!
Let's go have a Bacon and beer
The complicated contextual meanings what gives English it's "taste" that I like very much. It's tough to get right though 😂

I did some "math" with a bit more complocations, and it pretty successfully proven to me that you are ofc correct in your original statement.
I ended up with Men = 2x behaves like
😂😂
Had beer, out of bacon, didn't eat wife. Gonna sleep now.
Cheers and good luck with your tests!
🍻

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Cheers and good luck with your tests!
🍻
Thanks! The test is so fing hard for me... I am struggling with getting anywhere near the score I want.
imagine for three decades learning the wrong way to think/read and trying to fix it all within a few months.

I'll buy you a drink later

• Glorious
Reactions: Lorddarthvik

ShakyWater

Vice Admiral
Jan 4, 2017
RSI Handle
shakywater
Have you ever seen soccer (or football depending on your nationality) players faking injuries? That's what this reminds me of. It's just a small group of people just waiting to misunderstand, misrepresent, take out of context, and generally twist the narrative to suit their offended status. In all likelihood, they were offended before they even saw anything offensive. It never ceases to amaze me how far certain people will go to find a way to be offended.

Basically, this is what I see...

That's a good way to see it.

To me it looks like the kids who come to their, "then they'd be sorry," moment. The kids' way of punishing the mean people is for harm to come to the kid or for people to think it might (I'll run away, then they'll be sorry). It's the response of a kid with no other way of exerting power on the mean people other than becoming a victim to make the mean people feel sorry for what they did.

This is just grown people who never grew out of it.

Reactions: WaterShield
Forgot your password?