Semi SC/Lumberyard Related | Kingdom Come Beta "RTX" 8K Tech Demo

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Anything that doesn't have procedurally generated winds which make the trees and grass move realistically isn't much of a tech demo for me nowadays. Just looked like any other engine with the GFX turned up to ultra +.

:/

Spoiled by Chris Roberts

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
Anything that doesn't have procedurally generated winds which make the trees and grass move realistically isn't much of a tech demo for me nowadays. Just looked like any other engine with the GFX turned up to ultra +.
[CRANKY BOOMER RANT]

I remember playing Wing Commander on the first PC I built, a 16Mhz '286 with a 320X480 monochrome monitor

you kids today are so spoiled with your fancy modern setups, you take so much for granted ...

Bah Humbug

Get off My Lawn

et cetera

[/CRANKY BOOMER RANT]

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik

:/

Spoiled by Chris Roberts
It actually does have it. Not calculated per blades of grass but it does have proc winds that look okay...

It's a nice tech demo for their engine and setup and stuff but they didn't wanted to end up as cyberpunk did later, so they dialed it back for the release. Smart move imo, the release looked perfectly fine and played Allright even on my older rig without 8k rtx...

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
It actually does have it. Not calculated per blades of grass but it does have proc winds that look okay...

It's a nice tech demo for their engine and setup and stuff but they didn't wanted to end up as cyberpunk did later, so they dialed it back for the release. Smart move imo, the release looked perfectly fine and played Allright even on my older rig without 8k rtx...
The graphics looked a bit too glossy as if they were pictures or in this case scans of real trees and plants that did not have the correct shaders applied to them. But the biggest issue I had was with the engine graphic pause every so often.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
The graphics looked a bit too glossy as if they were pictures or in this case scans of real trees and plants that did not have the correct shaders applied to them. But the biggest issue I had was with the engine graphic pause every so often.
Hmm, maybe it's because I played a "certain" version of the game (before buying the goty version) I didn't encounter momentary pauses much if any. I do remember it chugging on ultra pretty hard, but I was on my 1060 back then.
Yeah now you mention it, I did have the same thought about the textures being "just photos".
You are correct about the scanned nature of things, I remember seeing some video about them using that tech. A lot of the vegetation was simplified down to the usual 2d sprites to save on poly count as it would have been absurd to use 3D scans. The shaders felt a bit primitive yes, with sprites it's not that easy to get em to look 3D while keeping them realistically matt. I think with the shear amount of vegetation and stuff on screen they just opted for a simple fast shader that delivered okay results and that affected most other things as well. Anyways, it didn't bother me as much as most "99999K hyper super realistic retexture packs" that ruin the consistent look of the world...
I would love to see how those assets would look in full 3D scanned form, with the power of the new Unreal engine micropolygon thingy, this could be doable today!

Reactions: Bambooza

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Still never got far in this game, always been on the fence about going back into it.
Get the save-game-anywhere-anytime mod (unless they added that option already in a patch?), it makes things way more fun and manageable for grown ups who actually got shit to do instead of wander around fo hours to find a bottle of goddamn schnapps. Think of it as Skyrim but hardcore for the first 10-15 hours or so. Then when you get geared up and leveled it turns into your regular action RPG and you can start to explore and do whatever.
Wait a sec, I never actually finished the main storyline, I think? It got a bit boring once I had everything and yet frustrating cos sometimes random bandits with rusty swords could still stunlock and beat me in my shiny max level armor. But this was waay back when, since then they patched it to hell and back so ymmv.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Hmm, maybe it's because I played a "certain" version of the game (before buying the goty version) I didn't encounter momentary pauses much if any. I do remember it chugging on ultra pretty hard, but I was on my 1060 back then.
Yeah now you mention it, I did have the same thought about the textures being "just photos".
You are correct about the scanned nature of things, I remember seeing some video about them using that tech. A lot of the vegetation was simplified down to the usual 2d sprites to save on poly count as it would have been absurd to use 3D scans. The shaders felt a bit primitive yes, with sprites it's not that easy to get em to look 3D while keeping them realistically matt. I think with the shear amount of vegetation and stuff on screen they just opted for a simple fast shader that delivered okay results and that affected most other things as well. Anyways, it didn't bother me as much as most "99999K hyper super realistic retexture packs" that ruin the consistent look of the world...
I would love to see how those assets would look in full 3D scanned form, with the power of the new Unreal engine micropolygon thingy, this could be doable today!
I was trying to remember why it looked off and then I remembered it's because it looks like Mega scan which floods the objects they are scanning with lots of light before taking lots of pictures of real objects to create 3d mesh and texture packs. It creates this unnatural lighting condition while useful in creating the texture needs to be filtered to make it fit well in the game or the light just doesn't seem to be coming from the right direction.

Here is a tree asset from Quixel Megascans.

1628725732639.png

1628725811347.png

Because of how they illuminate the object to be scanned if left alone creates this unatural lighting condition that I was seeing in Kingdom come.

Unreal 5 takes the same assets but with in their lighting engine its able to correctly shadow the objects.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ParMLadMTaQ

Forgot your password?