Results are only viewable after voting.

GameFleek

Seung's Bestie Testie
Dec 5, 2014
RSI Handle
GameFleek
LAST UPDATED: December 9, 2015
Written by Agent021

DISCLAIMER: These are our current specifications on paper. Some of this is likely to change during the 3D design and game balancing process over the next 24 months. Despite this, they should give a good indication of the relative features and abilities of the ships in the Star Citizen universe.

Welcome to the 14 edition of Ship Talk brought to you by Black Sunder, Adiran, and Agent021 of TEST Squadron Best Squadron. To see more reviews on Star Citizens’ favorite ships, check out the link below for our previous episode of Ship Talk #13 Ships of Exploration Part 1 of 3.

Where to Start

If you’re looking for the best ship to become a merchant or a cargo hauler in the Persistent Universe of Star Citizen, I’ve put together a guide to help you figure it all out. I’ll go through some price options and specs on the cargo focused ships we have so far. When considering the cost of these ships, keep in mind that all ships can be purchased in the game with UEC (game credits) and you do not have to spend actual money now. I will however list and compare these ships by cargo size with overall current pledge prices in mind.

Descriptions and Roles

First off, you have what is considered the “Starter” category. These ships are the Consolidated Outland Mustang Alpha, the Robert Space Industries Aurora CL, and the MISC Reliant. These are the dedicated hauler models in of their respected makes. Comparing these ships will leave you in a give or take situation. Let’s get into these ships in more detail to see if one is for you.

Structural and Propulsion

Where the Mustang is faster and may have more visual appeal in my opinion, it is more fragile and has less cargo capability at 10 SCU than the Aurora CL at 23 SCU. The cargo is held in a storage box under the ship for both the Mustang Alpha and the Aurora CL and it can detach when not carrying cargo. Also in this category of “starter” ships, you have the MISC (Musashi Industrial & Starflight Concern) Reliant. The Reliant is a mini-hauler designed with Xian technology similar to the MISC Freelancer. This ship carries more cargo at *30 SCU than the Mustang Alpha or the Aurora CL and is also the only multi-crew ship of the bunch with a max crew of 2. The MISC Reliant also can fly vertical or horizontal and has a wing-tip Omni-Orb turret for added offensive protection. This would be a good ship if you and a partner or NPC want to haul together and want to keep a low profile. Though it cost more, the MISC Reliant is the only option if you plan on having company along for the ride in this price range. Also noteworthy, all other RSI Aurora’s have 13 SCU (Standard Cargo Units) stock.

*30 SCU on the MISC Reliant is not confirmed and is subject to change as the ship is in a concept stage.

Weapons

So you run into a fight that you can’t escape from, now what? There’s good news and bad news. The good news is most weapons can be swapped out for another weapon you prefer as long is it doesn’t exceed the max weapon size of the hardpoint. The bad news is at this ship class your weapons will still be pew-pew and no big boom. Let’s start with the Mustang Alpha. The Mustang Alpha has 2x size 1 weapons on the wings and a size 1 front turret that holds 2x size 1 M3A Laser Cannons. That’s a total of 4 pew-pew weapons to hold off would be cargo stealers. The Aurora CL is next with 2x size 2 weapons up front, 2x size 2 fixed 9-Series Longswords on the wings. That means you get 4 pew-pews to keep the pirates away.

Finally in this category, We have the MISC Reliant. Unfortunately we have very little info on what will be final for this ships’ weapons but here’s what we have so far. There are 2x size 1 fixed M3A Laser Cannons up front, a size 3 mount for the Tractor beam that comes equipped or a size 2 weapon can be mounted gimbaled there as well, and 2x size1 launchers with 2 Taskforce missiles. What does this mean to you? Weapon strength balance is an ongoing process. The better weapon today may not be tomorrow. Combat with these ships like any other ship will come down to the pilot. That being said, I strongly suggest you avoid combat if you can.

Equipment

The only thing worth noting about Additional equipment is that the Aurora CL has an AT Jump Scanner and a Big Box for cargo. I would like to keep this review to facts only, but I have to believe that there will be some form of cargo box for the Mustang Alpha as well although it is not mentioned. The MISC Reliant seems to have the cargo contained inside so there is no need for an additional cargo container. Also of note is there is no mention of jump scanners for the Mustang Alpha or MISC reliant.

Final Thoughts

Consolidated Outland Mustang Alpha

Inspired by Consolidated Outland CEO Silas Koerner’s cutting edge vision, the Mustang Alpha is a sleek, stylish spacecraft that uses ultralight alloys to push power ratios to the limits, albeit sometimes unsafely. And now, with the optional Cargo Carrier, you can have the Alpha’s advantages without sacrificing carrying capacity.
  • Pros: The Mustang Alpha is fast and maneuverable and has decent offensive capabilities. The Alpha is the least expensive ship in the “starter” category
  • Cons: The Mustang Alpha is built cheaply and cannot take much punishment. It also has the least cargo capacity in its class.
  • Final thoughts: If you’re looking for a fast ship to haul some small cargo, this may be the ship for you. Remember to avoid a fight whenever possible as this ship won’t protect your ass too long.
  • Pricing: Consolidated Outland Mustang Alpha – Stand Alone Ship $30.00 or $45.00 with package

Robert Space Industries Aurora CL

Customized for mercantile and trading excursions, the Aurora Clipper is the perfect vessel for aspiring entrepreneurs and seasoned traders alike. Swapping a smaller power plant and armor capabilities for an expanded cargo capacity, the Clipper ups the ante for personal merchant craft.
  • Pros: The Aurora CL can take some punishment from an attack, which is good as it is the slowest ship in its class.
  • Cons: The Aurora CL
  • Final thoughts: This is a tough SOB for the price and the purpose. It’s slow like a brick, but it should get your cargo there in one piece.
  • Pricing: RSI Aurora CL – Stand Alone Ship $45.00 or $60.00 with package

MISC Reliant

Following on the success of the Freelancer “Built for Life” campaign, MISC has begun development of a smaller, introductory-class spacecraft that can be operated by a single pilot. Although roughly designed to compete with the RSI Aurora and the Consolidated Outlands Mustang, the Reliant is a very different animal. From the broad, sleek wings to the multiple flight modes and the second, fully-articulated crew seat, the Reliant is a small ship with a great deal of potential!
  • Pros: The MISC Reliant offers the most cargo capacity of this class and has room for a second crew member.
  • Cons: The MISC Reliant is not a finished ship and most specs are to be determined.
  • Final thoughts: We don’t have enough information on this ship to make a recommendation. It is still in development but looks very promising.
  • Pricing: MISC Reliant – Stand Alone Ship $50.00 (package not available)
Thanks for reading and stay tuned for our next cargo Ship Talk where we will discuss the entrepreneur ships! Please give feed back and suggestions and feel free to leave comments!

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
What i am waiting to learn is which ship that can navigate the smallest wormholes has the greatest cargo capacity. I assume the Hull A will qualify, but what about the Hull B?

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
I agree and think the size of ships for each jump size is key.
My personal thoughts are that the Hull A will fit through a small and there is a 50% chance the Hull B will too. Hull C is out of the question though. I can't remember the source but they said the Freelancer is on the low end for a Medium size jump point.

Reactions: GameFleek

GameFleek

Seung's Bestie Testie
Dec 5, 2014
RSI Handle
GameFleek
Hopefully this helps answer the question about jump points. It would appear the Cutlass and Scythe will be the largest ships that can currently go through the smallest jump point. We will definitely cover this topic in future Ship Talks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Black Sunder

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Very nicely written! I'm gonna have to jump on the Reliant badnwagon here, just because of that (hopefully) larger cargo capacity and the awesomeness of the rotating wing.

Jack Firebaugh

Rear Admiral
Jun 20, 2014
RSI Handle
JackFirebaugh
looks fun

Truthwatcher

Commander
Oct 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Truthwatcher
Going from the assumption that Ship size Category (and not dimensions) determine Jump Point size, I think the Reliant will be one of the better options for Small Jump Point cargo transport. For this reason I voted for Reliant.

However, as mentioned by many, since it is still early in its development, everything that is assumed is subject to change on a whim.

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
Is there an actual purpose to the Reliant's swingy wingy thingy, or is it like Nigel Tufnel's Spinal Tap amplifier that goes to 11? Don't get me wrong, I love the thing and I bought one, but I was just wondering. I actually look forward to giving the order, "Nigel,(that's going to be the name of my NPC co-pilot)rotate the obscenely expensive and heavy with no observable purpose swingy wingy thingy, and prepare for deep space!!"

BeerMonster

Commander
Dec 2, 2015
RSI Handle
BeerMonster
No Mustang love?
The mustang is probably the better fighter out of the 3 ships. However, it does carry the least amount of cargo between the 3 ships.

Maybe with the cargo expanders it might level the playing field abit, but the aurora also has access to these.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
The mustang is probably the better fighter out of the 3 ships. However, it does carry the least amount of cargo between the 3 ships.

Maybe with the cargo expanders it might level the playing field abit, but the aurora also has access to these.
Pretty sure cargo expanders are not a thing in Star Citizen like they were in Eve Online.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
Pretty sure cargo expanders are not a thing in Star Citizen like they were in Eve Online.
but the large cargo box that comes standard with one Aurora variant (I CBA to look up which) will bolt onto any of 'em

BeerMonster

Commander
Dec 2, 2015
RSI Handle
BeerMonster
There is a cargo module for all the Aurora models and the Mustang Alpha. Im not sure how much extra cargo you will get from it, as it is not confirmed yet but my guess would be an extra 50 - 100% over the default stock load. They will still probably fall short of the reliant in either case, since that is a dedicated cargo ship.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
but the large cargo box that comes standard with one Aurora variant (I CBA to look up which) will bolt onto any of 'em
That cargo box is how the Aurora has any capacity in the first place. It doesn't expand any per-existing cargo space.
There is a cargo module for all the Aurora models and the Mustang Alpha. Im not sure how much extra cargo you will get from it, as it is not confirmed yet but my guess would be an extra 50 - 100% over the default stock load. They will still probably fall short of the reliant in either case, since that is a dedicated cargo ship.
See above. The Mustang is the same way. It has no inherent space and relies on equipping a box.

BeerMonster

Commander
Dec 2, 2015
RSI Handle
BeerMonster
That cargo box is how the Aurora has any capacity in the first place. It doesn't expand any per-existing cargo space.

See above. The Mustang is the same way. It has no inherent space and relies on equipping a box.
Most of the information on RSI website in relation to the ship stats is incomplete and subject to change.

For example; all of the mustangs can apparently carry 10 cargo units at the moment (even the racers). Most of the auroras can carry 13, with the CL being able to carry 23.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to notice some of the information is most likely incorrect, so it should be taken with a grain of salt.

We can theory craft all we like, but we won't know for certain until it's actually in the game and finalised.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?