Ship theft question

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
I am wondering if when the game is done, do they plan allowing pirates and crims to keep the ships they steal?
I would cry if I lost my tracker.
In the gamescon livestream Chris Roberts said he might be interested in pirating.
This is all going to be super cool in the end.

DeepDrum:
Pirate and Criminal hunter for hire.

Frisbeerocker

Commissar
May 31, 2014
RSI Handle
Frisbeerocker87
If you didn't get to keep what you stole, that would defeat the whole idea of piracy.

So yes, I'm sure you will be able to keep ships when you steal them. But there will most likely be more systems involved with that. If you are in a stolen ship, you will be flagged for security immediately. So you will have to get the registration on the ship changed. There will also be a issue getting insurance on a stolen ship.

There will no doubt be some interesting mechanics around piracy, but sadly CR hasn't discussed them in great detail yet.

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
By the way is that you doing a backflip in the gif?
Amoung other things I was a gymnast when I was youngster.
Family used to make me do a back handspring every birthday.
That was my 50th birthday and the last time I tried it.
Now at 60, it's not outside of the realm of possibilities but I value my neck too much to try again.
They were the only gifs I had in stock. I'll work on a newer more SC relative one.
The program I used to use is non windows compatible or so it said during the pre win10 testing so I didn't re-install (Paint Shop Pro 8).
What do you folks use to make animated gifs these days?

Reactions: Blind Owl

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
In the past they said the pirate would keep to to chop up or take to an outlaw system and and put a new ID on it (that would be pricey) but the owner would just use insurance just like you smooshed it in the wrong parking spot ;)

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
It will be interesting how they get the balance right here, from people having some loss they paid for in real money (even if it is temporary) and pirates having an incentive to raid (other than cargo). Note even today cars are cloned and re"numbered" but it is not invisible. If you catch a thief is there a system to lock them up for ten years game time or do we visage they will just be killed and respawned i.e. no loss? I understand bounty hunters going after them but pirates would want to kill the crew so there are no witnesses surely (rep not discounted).

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
wow printimus, they make it sound hard enough.
One can steal a ship that is empty can on enot?

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
So long as they make cutting tools and explosives available to open doors and such, I am hoping such things can be used on canopies. I know they are saying the intention was only ships with boarding collars can be boarded, but they have not addressed the situation where a smaller ship like a fighter, has been tractored into a Reclaimer. and we should/hope that methods that are discovered to work are not made public. Those who find creative solutions will want to guard their trade secrets.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
So long as they make cutting tools and explosives available to open doors and such, I am hoping such things can be used on canopies. I know they are saying the intention was only ships with boarding collars can be boarded, but they have not addressed the situation where a smaller ship like a fighter, has been tractored into a Reclaimer. and we should/hope that methods that are discovered to work are not made public. Those who find creative solutions will want to guard their trade secrets.
I reckon "we'll" end up with a few of those trade secrets.

Jethaya

Captain
Dec 17, 2015
RSI Handle
Jethaya
my 2 cents on stolen ships
i predict it will look a bit like stolen cars are today : in most case a stolen ship would go to a chop shop and its different parts will end up on a ship_depot store shelf somewhere

it should be possible to alter a ship registration but i hope they make that a difficult process
that way stealing a ship and altering its registration to keep it ...is close to the same truble as earning it legaly
(my 2 cents only)

i also hope the mechanics of the game will direct most pirates towards NPC's ships instead of player's

pirate life should be hard enough so we wont see 80% of the peoples playing the game go criminal
for me more then 20% ciminals would make the game be almost unplayable both for the criminals and for those less pvp inclined

Last edited:

Maxgerber5250

Grand Admiral
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt-Spicer
Let's hope.
Something is coming that will discourage you from self destructing to get a new ship.
x-ref: Gamescon vid.
In eve online that's what I did. I had a Brutix bpo I would mine all the low end minerals myself buy the high end mins, build the ships then take them out and blow them up for the basic insurance money. Alot faster cash return than putting the low end minerals on the market. Made billions that way

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
Amoung other things I was a gymnast when I was youngster.
Family used to make me do a back handspring every birthday.
That was my 50th birthday and the last time I tried it.
Now at 60, it's not outside of the realm of possibilities but I value my neck too much to try again.
They were the only gifs I had in stock. I'll work on a newer more SC relative one.
The program I used to use is non windows compatible or so it said during the pre win10 testing so I didn't re-install (Paint Shop Pro 8).
What do you folks use to make animated gifs these days?
an aurora doing backflips on the landing pad? seriously though, good job on the backflips.

MastahZero

Rear Admiral
May 27, 2016
RSI Handle
MastahZero
Well I could see this being a simple task, to have stolen ships be re-registered would have to cost a considerable amount of UEC comparable to it's legal UEC cost.

So steal a 890J? To make that bad boy legal would cost you either 100% or (Possibly) more of it's UEC cost (Only said more due to any Weapons upgrades made)

Like I would like to think that we are all still thinking of this as "Oh no thats my irl money getting stolen" when it's just a early access thing. Plus given some logic stolen ships, once destroyed are gone from pirates "Inventory" so unless they plan on stealing it just to "Grief" you they ain't gonna be able to do much with it anyway, since it should be a KOS ship which I anticipate that a quarter of the universe would be glad to steal/destroy.

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
@Mike
Nah, it wasn't very good. My head touched the ground.
Hey, I was tired, I started celebrating the night before. I won't mention the new girlfriend that stayed over. Tired, tired, tired.
Regarding ship backflips, I have to share this one.
My Tracker spawned at Port Oliser on an upside down Sabre welded to the bottom of the tracker.
I thought "WTF"?
I decided to see if it would fly and it did.
After a few thousand kilometers, I got an idea.
I stopped my ship and EVA'd outside.
I spun myself around and got into the Sabre section and then I rammed the tracker section into something.
I was left with a Perfect Sabre.
In effect, I guess, you could say I stole a Sabre.
Of course the "alpha" hung before I could find a target to shoot at.
Ahhh, my Tracker seat was way more comfy anyway.
No backflips are available in game. I just checked my 7 pages of emotes. Darn.

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
@Mike
Nah, it wasn't very good. My head touched the ground.
Hey, I was tired, I started celebrating the night before. I won't mention the new girlfriend that stayed over. Tired, tired, tired.
Regarding ship backflips, I have to share this one.
My Tracker spawned at Port Oliser on an upside down Sabre welded to the bottom of the tracker.
I thought "WTF"?
I decided to see if it would fly and it did.
After a few thousand kilometers, I got an idea.
I stopped my ship and EVA'd outside.
I spun myself around and got into the Sabre section and then I rammed the tracker section into something.
I was left with a Perfect Sabre.
In effect, I guess, you could say I stole a Sabre.
Of course the "alpha" hung before I could find a target to shoot at.
Ahhh, my Tracker seat was way more comfy anyway.
No backflips are available in game. I just checked my 7 pages of emotes. Darn.
if you ever want to try out a saber, let me know. you can borrow mine.

Forgot your password?