Exploration Ships of Exploration

Maclimes

Commander
Oct 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Maclimes
Quick question: The Ship Matrix on the RSI site lists the Terrapin as "Exploration". But general consensus seems to be that it's more of a combat scout than an actual exploration ship. It doesn't have any extended fuel tanks, jump drive, or anything of the like.

Will you be updating this list to mention the Terrapin (or at least acknowledge it's inferiority)?

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran
I will be updating this list yes. However it is not inferior in any way. In fact it is superior to every other single or double seat ship in the game when it comes to finding things.

"Surplus U4A-3 hulls are routinely available on the open market, making it a favored explorer ship among military veterans who opt to continue flying after their service, many of them having already come to know it’s reliability, ease of repair and never-say-die attitude. The Terrapin has an all-around reputation as a ship that can get travel beyond the most distant jump point… and bring you back safely to civilization."

"From a game design perspective, we view the new Terrapin as the first bespoke explorer ship. Much like the Prospector is the initial dedicated mining ship, the Terrapin will be a starting point for anyone pursuing a purely exploratory career."

"What will the travel range be like on a Terrapin?
Very long. The Terrapin packs much bigger Hydrogen and Quantum Fuel tanks to increase its operational range. It’s designed to stay out in the verse for as long as possible."

"Exploration involves a number of different possible activities, not all of which involve taking material things home. True to its original design as an intel and recon ship, the Terrapin is more concerned with finding, cataloging, and reporting critical information and discovering points of interest than it is about taking home incidental salvage, trinkets, or loose resources. The Terrapin’s great emphasis on scanning and detection – including the dedicated utility hardpoints for doubling down on extra scanning capacity – make it ideal for exploring and data processing larger volumes of space more efficiently than even many of its small-explorer contemporaries."

"It may not be able to bring back many souvenirs, but the real point behind the Terrapin is to locate valuable things for friends."

"Finding samples on trips, recovering some salvage, that’s all something that can be placed inside the Terrapin and brought back for the eggheads to study or someone to make a buck on the black-markets of GrimHex, but the Terrapin’s focus is on data collection, worth its SCU weight in gold. Selling the mining spot on a virgin world or finding the location of the most wanted pirate lord in 3 systems is what the Terrapin pilots are all about, and those are the paydays they are chasing."

This is not a ship like the 315P or the DUR. its sole purpose is exploration. Not its not a Aquila or Carrack where it can self sustain for months at a time and has all kinds of rovers and snubs to do so much more than find it to begin with. It is a ship designed to find things and make it back in one piece and not much ells. it is as they say above the first bespoke explorer ship. Yes other ships have been modified to explore as a secondary task. This ship is made for "exploring" i.e. going out there alone and finding things. No you can't do much else besides find things with it. But what more do you need when you are the only one who knows of it and have time to go get a ship better suited for exploiting what you found?

Maclimes

Commander
Oct 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Maclimes
Nice! I didn't see much of this info before.

Still, if they made a version that reduced the sensors and allowed them to be operated from the pilot chair, and opened up the back for cargo?

I'd buy one within seconds of announcement.

Reactions: Talonsbane

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Nice! I didn't see much of this info before..
Apparently, the Sept (?) Jump Point featured the Terrapin. I found the link to it in a discussion on these forums, where somebody was asking about the "ethics" of posting stuff like that (making something available for all that is really only for subscribers).

In any event, a) all info is being developed, and b) they (Chris Roberts & Co.) really do see the Terrapin as an exploration vessel, just maybe highly specialized? There was an article in the Jump Point about its use by the Imperial Cartography Center in charting out new systems, etc., so again, all the lore is really in the process of being developed.

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran
Nice! I didn't see much of this info before.

Still, if they made a version that reduced the sensors and allowed them to be operated from the pilot chair, and opened up the back for cargo?

I'd buy one within seconds of announcement.
Like they say you can put cargo and other items in it there just isnt grav or magnetic plates to "lock it down" so it doesnt move. If you can pick it up and fit it threw the door you can put it in. Just hope you dont lose artificial gravity when making that tight turn or rapid deceleration.

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran
I will also be revising comments and reposting this in Rock Raiders group forum like i did with the exploration guide. Also need to add new things now we know more about planets and rover/dragonfly.

Maclimes

Commander
Oct 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Maclimes
New testie here: Is Rock Raiders where the Explorers go? It's kind of confusing as to what groups are what (probably because the game is still years away from release, of course).

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
Awesome job Adiran. great read.

P.S. if I read all that does it mean I passed your class?

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran
New testie here: Is Rock Raiders where the Explorers go? It's kind of confusing as to what groups are what (probably because the game is still years away from release, of course).
Rock raiders is not the exploration division of Test. We are however housing a small contingint of explorers to aid in providing content for the mining, salvage and rec members of the division.

The oficial exploration division has yet to be anounced.

If you are interested in exploration i will always be hosting exploration activities in rock raiders and all are welcome. Come 3.0 ill be hosting fleets in game to explore the planets and the areas around them.

cmink

Vice Admiral
Dec 11, 2017
RSI Handle
cmink
If you are interested in exploration i will always be hosting exploration activities in rock raiders and all are welcome. Come 3.0 ill be hosting fleets in game to explore the planets and the areas around them.[/QUOTE]

Great thread. Much appreciated. Looking forward to getting out there with this group!

Forgot your password?