SIM RACING + ATS/ETS (or IRL Racers?)

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
Nordschliefe is definitely worth it, though I would look into a day where it isn't a "public" day so you avoid motorcycles, wagons full of families, and cargo vans. Did it Sep 2019 right before the pandemic, I want to go back for Spa and a few other EU courses.

Here in the US though, I have done 2 NASCAR rovals/infields (Phoenix and Fontana) and a bunch of other local or Socal tracks.

Working on going to COTA, Road Atlanta, Sonoma, And Sebring soon. Have Laguna Seca and Thunderhill this year.
Yeah put me down for Spa anyday! I have a lot of time in the sim around Spa but it's one that always seems to stump me and I swear it actually shifts itself sometimes and corners will be a little softer, or just a few meters shorter than the previous lap like some sort of demonic track that is out to haunt me and my laptimes. I really wanted to go to USGP at COTA yesterday but this year was not meant to be so I'm pretty bummed about it and that is one track I want to tryout more than any other but it seems I won't be on the track myself for at least another 2-3 seasons.

Oh do you play around in the sim at all before hitting the track? I find it has been helping everyone out that I know races. Oh and go Kyle Larson go! He was one of the best sim racers I ever watched oh iracing and now He's one of the best drivers NASCAR's ever had :)

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Yeah put me down for Spa anyday! I have a lot of time in the sim around Spa but it's one that always seems to stump me and I swear it actually shifts itself sometimes and corners will be a little softer, or just a few meters shorter than the previous lap like some sort of demonic track that is out to haunt me and my laptimes. I really wanted to go to USGP at COTA yesterday but this year was not meant to be so I'm pretty bummed about it and that is one track I want to tryout more than any other but it seems I won't be on the track myself for at least another 2-3 seasons.

Oh do you play around in the sim at all before hitting the track? I find it has been helping everyone out that I know races. Oh and go Kyle Larson go! He was one of the best sim racers I ever watched oh iracing and now He's one of the best drivers NASCAR's ever had :)
What is that cell pack for? Intriguing

My favorite tracks that I can actually remember after a lap is Monza, Spa, and hockenheim old gp circ. Oh and how could I forget Donnington Park! I played a shitton of TOCA and whatever they called the series up until GRID 1.

I dunno if any of you ever heard of a game called Sports Car GT. It had a nice red/white/black BMW E36 GT on the box ( remember when games came in really nice boxes?). It was a budget title, published by EA back when they were doing good stuff still.
That was an awesome racer, I spent ages in that. It was my first game where I could set the race length to 24H. Real time. And I did... Can't remember how it went down exactly, I think I raced for like 6 hours, had a 20+ lap lead, then I had to go do human things and handed it over to the Ai, which lost all my laps in an hour and then the game crashed not long after. Fun times...

Reactions: CitizenDad

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
What is that cell pack for? Intriguing

My favorite tracks that I can actually remember after a lap is Monza, Spa, and hockenheim old gp circ. Oh and how could I forget Donnington Park! I played a shitton of TOCA and whatever they called the series up until GRID 1.

I dunno if any of you ever heard of a game called Sports Car GT. It had a nice red/white/black BMW E36 GT on the box ( remember when games came in really nice boxes?). It was a budget title, published by EA back when they were doing good stuff still.
That was an awesome racer, I spent ages in that. It was my first game where I could set the race length to 24H. Real time. And I did... Can't remember how it went down exactly, I think I raced for like 6 hours, had a 20+ lap lead, then I had to go do human things and handed it over to the Ai, which lost all my laps in an hour and then the game crashed not long after. Fun times...
I do remember SCGT and did NOT remember it was one of their first foray's into "driving games", but now that you mention it I am sure I did play it, and I recall the AI issues in that game were just something you had to live with if I am not mistaken.

That is a regular old battery that will start any honda motor I have but we use it just for the pilot's audio system which is pretty insane if I do say so myself. Competition level performance out of our daily driver SUV. Battery technology is so advanced that these things are rather affordable, super modular obviously, and they are safe as hell, but pack lots and lots of power :) I am slowly swapping out all of our batteries in everything to these bad boys. No real use in buying car battery's anymore, or marine batts, or any batts really LOL. 2-3 of the cells have more CCA's than most V8 OEM Batt's require, for a fraction of the cost, and they are lighter, easy to work on replace, and last much longer, as well as other advantages.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
So Forza Horizon 5 is out, how everyone's liking it so far?

For me it is not the best start. I'm using the ms Xbox pc gamepass version, and while runs and looks like a dream on maxed out ultra settings , online mode doesn't work. I do enjoy driving though, cars feel as numb as ever with a few exceptions, but it's good ol fun I'm used to.
Fun fact, I bought Mini Cooper jcw (modern) in the game and I swear it's slower than the base models I drive around via the car sharing service in my city lol

Szioul

Space Marshal
Oct 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Szioul
Broke 4.5 million players, so connectivity is kind of shit. Randomly disconnects, so trying to do any online modes is a crapshoot. I've also read that a lot of wheels don't work properly and Fanatec wheels even cause the game to crash. Oh, and the AI cheats harder than in previous games. The car list is very lacking compared to FH4. Other than that it's pretty good.

Edit: Hotfix announced for wheel, crash and connectivity issues coming this week.

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Broke 4.5 million players, so connectivity is kind of shit. Randomly disconnects, so trying to do any online modes is a crapshoot. I've also read that a lot of wheels don't work properly and Fanatec wheels even cause the game to crash. Oh, and the AI cheats harder than in previous games. The car list is very lacking compared to FH4. Other than that it's pretty good.

Edit: Hotfix announced for wheel, crash and connectivity issues coming this week.
Now that I played for quiet a while, I see what you mean with the Ai. It's absolute bs. Tuned my Taycan to 0-100kph in 1.9sec, and it gets beaten by every single other car on race start while having the best launch stats in the game lol
On avarage and even lower difficulty! It's ridiculous. It's so transparent when the ai let's you have a chance, like on the last few corners, and when no matter what you do you can only keep up. It's just baaaad. Honestly at this point idgaf about the ai competitors, I just set it to novice ai and have fun drifting every corner while staying in first place.

I haven't had a single moment when the game was online, and I played every day since day one. I tried all the tips, turning off VPN and firewalls and stuff, nothing. It just won't do online and that's it.
There are some other bugs I found, I installed race slicks on 3 cars, and they all show up as off road cars.
But the most annoying bug is that I don't get my wheelspins when it says I got a wheelspin for level up or otherwise. I get to do single spin about every 3rd or 4th notification, no matter what I'm doing at the time.
Edit: wanted to add that unlike in previous games the off-roading/rally racing is pretty fun in this one. I love my little nugget of a Pug 207 rally car, it's so fun to slide around!
Also I had zero issues with performance apart from the known memory leak, you just gotta restart it sometimes when it starts chugging for seemingly no reason. The game crashed once though.
What's annoying is the characters never shutting up! I turned down the volume apart from tires engine and environment and put on some podcasts instead. Cutscenes can't be skipped which is also annoying but not that bad. Radio stations are modern trash music with very few exceptions but I'm used to that by now, FH didn't have decent songs since 2...
Photo mode is set up great from the getgo, I wish it was this easy to take decent looking shots in SC.

So with all the above issues, it took me quiet a while to get the second one of the cars I really wanted, the Divo. It's rather slow compared to the Jesko but I just love the shape so much!

1636938286228.png

1636938248258.png1636938225907.png

TLDR.: DO NOT GET THE GAMEPASS VERSION! If you really want to buy this game, get the Steam version, I heard it at least gets the hotfixes and was able to get online, unlike the gamepass version.

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Well shit I'm super glad I didn't even bother to download Forza.

So who else gonna use the Anvil Spartan with their Sim Racing Rigs? Or am I the only one??

Hey I have some extra GPU's and Fanatec CSL DD's if anyone wants them let me know! USA shipping and BC only :)
It's still fun I think, but only for fun. Not for anything serious. If you like bumbling around in really good looking arcade racers, doing skids and jumps all day, I gotta admit the devs lived up to their name. It's the best car playground really, but it is a playground.
Since then I managed to get online and play properly. Most of my annoying bugs seems to be fixed.

Anyways, as for sim gear, I imagine using a wheel for yaw control while flying a reclaimer or 890 or similar slow handling ship could be funny, like sailing a real boat, but as far as I'm concerned driving ground vehicles with anything but KB is kinda pointless for now. Their handling is just sooooo junk.

F UUuuuuuuuu, I want one of those video cards! Too bad I live on the other side of the pond and have zero BC to give lol

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Haha and I meant using the sim racing rig for the ground vics like The Spartan and stuff haha.
Well, it could be fun too, only way to know is to try right?
I don't even bother turning on the gamepad nowdays when I'm just doing a quick run around to use ground vehicles lol
I'll be curious to see how it will go for you with the wheels n pedals!

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Soo, I happened to have an itching for some racing so I tried to play AC, again. With my brand new XBox controller no less, expecting it to be much better than my old abused 360 controller. It was better but...
Again I find it freakin impossible to finish a lap around the green hell in anything faster than the Abarth or less grippy than the 919 without kissing the barrier. It's just not happening. The twitchiness is insane. I tried all the controller setups, gammas, speeds whatever... tried limiting max angle on cars... It never works. It's either set so slow that I can't correct a slide or I can't turn when fast due to speed correction and so on. It just cant be done.
Obviously I refuse to use any sort of fake ass stability control/assist bullshit, that's the whole point of a sim racer, but I doubt that would help with my issue of fighting the controller instead of fighting for a win...

I wanted to do this for a long time, l used to think it was a bit unnecessary, but now I'm finally pissed off enough to do it, and actually buy a proper wheel+pedals.
What's a decent pro-ish entry level setup for the price these days? So non of that overpriced plastic shit like thrustmaster sells with a ferrari logo for 3 tiems as much as it's worth, but something actually nice quality, like a VKB joystick.

I'm looking for something that's:
- minimal footprint for the wheel hub (I got literally no space)
- preferably the more rotations the better, 900degrees + , more would be nice for ETS and such
- obviously with ffb
- optional but would be nice: removable steering wheel (for storage and upgrades/repairs)
- flappy pedals so I can change gears

- 3 pedal foot setup so I don't forget how to use a freakin clutch lol I've been driving an auto for the past 3 years...
- maybe an H shifter would be fun if there is a cheap but decent option later down the line

Also, is it okay to buy these used maybe? What model should I be looking for?
I'm willing to put some money into a setup that can be re-sold later, but the cheaper the better.
I'm not expecting this to be less than like 300-500 bucks, but I can't justify spending a 1000+usd on a set. I just wouldn't use it enough, also I'm browsing real cars for that kind of money at the moment lol...

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
Fanatec is about the best you will get, but the price is a bit much, Next Level Racing has a fold-able cockpit that you could attach the wheel and pedals too as well so you can store it when done.

And remember, slow is smooth, smooth is fast!

"If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you’re no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

"Sometimes you’ve just got to lick the stamp and send it" - Daniel Ricciardo

Forgot your password?