Skeleton Crew

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I want so much to see some great Disney Star Wars. IIRC, Skeleton Crew is one of the projects Kennedy was forbidden to touch despite she is technically an executive producer. Filoni and Favreau are likewise Executive producing and Jude Law is starring. I’ve always liked his work.

I don’t know these show runners: Jon Watts and Christopher Ford. They both have MCU credits from writing and directing Spider-Man: Homecoming, which I haven’t seen.

What looks to be missing is the feminazis influence. There’s a male lead. Looks like Kennedy was indeed kept at arms length.

So we’ll see what we see. If you’re interested in the whole “Jedi Padawans set adrift by Order 66” setting, you can find some development of the idea here below. This isn’t TableStory’s best work by a long shot. You could argue it’s their worst work to date, especially since they never really mastered the game rules set (ffg narrative dice), but it’s still quite good I think in part because the premise of the story is so compelling. “What happened to the Jedi Younglings who survived?” Coming of age stories are hard to manage well, but that’s where all Star Wars started. Let’s see how they do.

View: https://youtu.be/nifvrYEWrLQ?si=l_qAmCagpMK7u9W0

• Glorious
Reactions: Talonsbane

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Agreed! He has also done many other memorable roles, from Dumbledoor to Sherlock Holmes. He’s actually a tier above the actors normally hired into the franchise. The only actors I can think of with his level of accomplishment when starting are Sir Alec Guinness and Liam Neeson, who were of course eliminated in their only film. Star Wars wants cheep.

I doubt Disney will kill off the Defender character in the first episode so seems Law is in for the count, but then again don’t be too surprised if he dies. That is how one ups the stakes in a coming of age story—kill the mentor.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Ugh... another Star Wars failure... can't this generation come up with anything on their own - probably not because they are so woke they can't see the trees... if I see another Scream, Dune, Planet of the Apes, and probably over 100 more I am going to be permanently scared from their lack of creativity. Why is it easier to go with the movies of the past and not make a movie for the future - rhetorical question? It's not like this Generation could create another "Back to the Future" movie. Was the 80s the "Greatest Generation" when it comes to entertainment?

Woke does not sell if you want 100% of people to go - only 50%. That is the problem today: Everyone thinks they think LIKE them. They don't... viewership runs a vast spectrum of beliefs, and until people learn to serve the masses, they will fail with their movies and camel gay sex scenes.

Last edited:
  • o7

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I don’t think woke is even close to 50%. It’s closer to 15% and probably not even that. Remember, these people are loud. They’re not yet so common. Kathleen Kennedy started pushing her agenda back before anyone even knew the term, and she has really slidden into woke. She was at first just a radical feminist.

What seems derivative about this concept? If you study storytelling you’ll find there are only a set number of different plot types. Some say 21, others like Plato say just 7. No matter how you break it down though, all plots resemble previous plots. There’s no way to avoid this.

I personally love the Coming of Age plot type that is the structure of A New Hope. Applying it to a handful of kids seems fun to me. The focus should be on watching these kids grow, just as Luke did in the first trilogy. I wouldn’t discount this as derivative unless we see yet another Death Star. Rather, there are a thousand different directions they could go while connecting the story to Ahsoka, Mando and Fett. No reason to complain yet that I can see.We know next to nothing. Online, sources are arguing whether there are 4 or 5 kids, whether they’re Younglings or just kids, whether Jude Law’s character is a Jedi. Literally we know almost nothing.

One source quoting one of the runners said the kids as a group are modeled on The Goonies. That was an awesome film and if they focus on these kids being inept misfits, and turn the plot with points of gained competence, they could have a winning recipe. Handling humor like that is hard, but they might do it. Sometimes, watching someone incompetent become competent especially through things like courage can be a real tear jerker. There’s room for very powerful storytelling here. Room for courage and the like that we never see with woke blather.

Seems really early to complain unless you hate Jude Law’s acting.

I will say this: if the kids are instantly competent at things that make no sense, that would be disappointing. If instead the series is punctuated with allusions to learning sessions where one kid learns to astrogate and another hones some smart-ass sarcasm and toughness into authentic street sense, that will be good storytelling.

Why can’t this generation come up with anything new? Lack of courage. It’s an easy out to pretend it’s the general concept that matters and not its execution. Film makers hate being reminded that Jaws is a masterpiece because of execution. Putting the emphasis on execution removes all doubts about who is to blame.

Have you ever seen Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets? How about Jupiter Ascending? There is yet courage alive in Hollywood. It’s just sickly and rare.

Last edited:
  • o7

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Have you ever seen Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets? How about Jupiter Ascending? There is yet courage alive in Hollywood. It’s just sickly and rare.
Well, two movies I thouroughly enjoyed.
Two movies with a strong female lead by the way.
One movie (Valerian) that's soo NOT Hollywood.
A few american actors, true, but the rest ist pure sickly european courage. :-P
But back to the original topic.
I do have some hopes for Skeleton Crew. Might work.
But it's Disney and it's kids.
And on the Star Wars side I am old enough to remember Star Wars: Ewok Adventures – Caravan of Courage .
Though I honestly wish I didn't.
Oh well, we'll see once we see.
And Jude Law may have some talent for amusing nerfherding. Because it's elementary my dear Watson.. :o7:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Disney has killed Star Wars (and Marvel and Pixar).

The only way Disney can make great Star Wars is to fire the entire C-Suite, both at Disney and Lucas Films, fire Filoni and the entire creative staff, and hire writers that know how to tell a great story. Wishing and hoping isn't going to make it happen.

No, I won't be watching it. In fact after reading the audit, and how Disney screwed US military families staying at Shades of Green, this is the most Disney is getting out of me in the foreseeable future.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
There have always been strong female lead characters. Authentic feminism expanded their role, but it came way after Eoywn, not before. The contribution of radical feminism has always been the emasculation of men. That is really the difference between authentic feminism (Gloria Steinem and the National Organization of Women), and third wave Radical Feminism ( Mary Daly, teaching women to tap into hatred and rage). It’s the dark side stuff that gave us Luke gulping green milk and spilling it all over his soup catcher. Kennedy did this to deprecate Luke. Kennedy has never been content with strong female characters. Her stories always have to emasculate the men that came before. That’s totally toxic.

Last edited:
  • Glorious

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
The only actors I can think of with his level of accomplishment when starting are Sir Alec Guinness and Liam Neeson, who were of course eliminated in their only film.
Possible hope for Star Wars to someday cast Sean Bean in some epic role? Which we all know will result in his demise, as his film career will imply.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
What is this “Shades of Green”?
Resort at Disney World owned by the US Army Morale Welfare and Recreation Fund. It is one of the non-Disney resorts in the former Reedy Creek Improvement District, now CFTOD. The army runs it for military members, their families, retirees, and veterans. It sits a block and a short walk (before Disney eliminated pedestrian traffic) to the monorail station at the Polynesian resort.

Now, to get from Shades of Green to the parks, you have to take a bus, or an Uber.

BTW Disney doesn't own that road.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
What is this “Shades of Green”?

Prices have gone way up. It wasn't that long ago that the most expensive room for E-6 and below at both Shades of Green and Hale Koa (Which is the only hotel on Wakiki Beach) was less than $30.

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I can’t dispute with you any of this. Disney’s leadership has been truly evil for more than a decade. However, Iger is leaving next year and when the Disney Board of Directors goes to find his replacement, if they have a couple non-woke wins on the board, that could influence their decision.

Disney is a special microcosm where memes and philosophies go to thrive or die. All the evidence they have now for a decade is that Post-Modernism, CRT, DEI and Woke are morally and spiritually bankrupt, and that they lead to fiscal failure.

I will always hope the House of the Mouse will get its act together and realize properties like the theme parks, the MCU and Star Wars are inherently successful, and if something other than success comes from them, there is blame to be assigned and ways to fix it. They need to start by realizing they are to blame for shoveling this trendy shit down people’s throats, and if they give that up, return to the classics and what works, they can find success once more.

That would be best for everyone, IMHO.

I try my best not to wax philosophical here in the forum but let me remind again, all these problems we see at Disney are symptoms of our age. The profound skepticism about everything is at root of it all, just as it was during the rise to power of Hitler. It’s the big lens we look through. Either you are clear eyed and believe in truth corresponding to reality, or your eye is clouded and like Pontus Pilate asking Jesus “what is truth?”, you can’t make sense of the world past arbitrary presentations of power. If you see life as nothing other than a power struggle, you’re going to see life like Kathleen Kennedy and try to write that filter into everything you touch. This is how Hitler convinced a nation to commit genocide. The ONLY answer to this is to respect truth.

This is btw, why issues like transgenderism have become battlegrounds. If someone can convince you to look at a man and call him a woman, you have obviously given up the notion of objective truth. Concomitant to this is that if you grew up in a society which is profoundly skeptical about the objectivity of truth, it seems harsh and unkind not to pander to people’s delusions. Thats of course not true. The opposite is true. If you care about people you don’t want them wasting their lives playing pretend in games that have to crash eventually into reality. So it really is all bound up in what we think of the nature of truth and reality. This profound skepticism is for most people still new, but for many youth it is all they’ve ever known. It is a civilization killing mind virus. It is anti-intellectual (you’ve heard math is racist?) and Hicks here traces it back as anti-enlightenment.

In the mid seventh century, not half a century after Islam was born, that originally vibrant and academic civilization was intellectually decimated by such a mind virus.The Arab world has suffered vast anti-intellectual sympathies ever since. In Asia and much of Persia, Buddhism and many parts of Hinduism taught and teach that reality is an illusion, and that attack on truth has disabled countless academics and fields of study as well. In Western Civilization, the Church has always taught “the truth will set you free”, and perhaps that simple meme is more responsible than any other for the astonishing heights climbed by the West’s science, math, medicine, technology, etc. That is all up for grabs for as long as the mind virus grows.

View: https://youtu.be/1cuxEmy_Ipo?si=0aDVq5EhryU5drld

Last edited:
Forgot your password?