Slave 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Back to the Disney thing: the CEO of Disney fired Brie Larson today. She was supposed to play the uber-character Maeve in her own series, but seems she was demanding pay right off the charts and Disney CEO Bob Chapek fired her. She will still play the role in The Acopyte unless that too gets cancelled.

For the CEO to step in and intercede at this level is most uncommon, but Larson is almost universally hated by the people at Marvel, and that is spilling over to Star Wars now. Generally people think she is nasty, entitled, a poor actress and full of herself.

I think like the woke mob, one day Larson will wake up and realize all she was never thankful for.
Brie is only good enough to play Mary Sue Characters.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
I thought this thread was about a starship being renamed. Let's keep it focused on that, eh?

Disney made a good call on this one, IMHO. Not because of woke B.S., but because Slave1 was about as dull a name as anyone could pick. The change is an opportunity to do something more creative.

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
There it is! DING DING DING! Judges? That is confirmed, We have reductio ad Hitlerum on our hands with this thread and it is starting its loooong dive into crazytown.
Perhaps you're unaware of the historic precedent for this observation. Disney fired Gina Carano because of a comic she reposted on social media, that noted that Jews were first beaten on the streets of Germany by the German people, not by Nazis leaders. Germany didn't get round to gassing 6 million people until they'd been consumed by hatred for each other for years. That hatred is the thing Gina courageously stood against, and that hatred is what woke is all about. Here in the US during the last year, we have had more than 550 violent riots (declared such by the police) and 76 major cities burned. That is what woke is all about and to refuse to see history's lessons is to refuse to open your eyes.

The tactics used by the Browncoats in fascist Italy, and Blackcoats in Nazi Germany in the years leading up to WWII are EXACTLY the same tactics being used by Antifa today.

If you don't understand what cancel culture is, and how it is the enemy of tolerance, you become the enemy of tolerance. If you don't understand what Dr. Martin Luther King meant when he said "I have a dream" but instead cling to notions that we are all only members of various groups struggling for power, not individuals who should be judged by "the content of our character", then you become the enemy of all true civil rights. The Marxist program is to set people against each other by virtue of group association (tribalism), instead of the individual character and responsibility that is foundational to all Western Civilization.

Gina understood this and was fired by Disney for it. They later offered her the role back as Cara Dune, and she has until September to decide. Hence the conflict and issue being played out that Disney is teetering on the brink and starting to see that woke is a dead end, philosophically and financially. Renaming Slave 1 is a symptom of this struggle. Wise men note that erasing history and forcibly reforming language virtually guarantees we will repeat history's mistakes. In order to not be a villain, you need to have some idea what villains are.

Last edited:

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
As someone who's actually worked on Disney productions (I had access to copies of the Screenplay sides with my name watermarked on it), let me tell you the House of Mouse runs a tight ship.

Speculation about 'Woke' culture, power struggles within Lucasfilm, and evil talentless SJWs like Brie Larsson is just that.....speculation. The simple truth is that people in the know do not tweet details, create full YouTube videos and post on places like Reddit, 4Chan, etc. Those who do are hacks and trolls fishing for hits or insignificant production assistants who boast that they're line producers but are in fact glorified security guards who watch over crew parking lots. I for one never post anything on social media about my work. I worked with one low level idiot who posted minor details about a Star Trek movie we worked on, she's still banned from all Viacom/Paramount productions.

Last edited:

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Hmm yeah this thread is gonna end well. 🤨
It ends right here.

Closing argument is if you love capitalism then you must love that the Disney marketing department has analyzed their preferred market segment and decided that not calling a ship Slave 1 is a better strategy towards showing shareholders great profitability.

If you are highly offended by the name change and crying and shaking in your boots, stop being a snowflake and realize that times change and so do the norms of what was once acceptable.

I too grew up in the generation that only knew that ship as Slave 1, but I will not be losing any sleep over it and I will not be blaming some fictitious woke culture boogey man and pointing at every single person who is not directly aligned with my exact political beliefs as the cause of this horrendous decision that plagues my waking hours!

This is all about the dollars and the mouse knows how to get those dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot your password?