Slave 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
You won't mind me holding this crazy generation that contributes so little and stands in judgement of an entire world it fails to understand, as horrifically broken for its severe lack of humility and grotesque entitlement.

No. It's Slave 1. Its owner is a villain. I think the children can just get over themselves.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Next time they'll ban using the word Titanic because PoC also died on it...
The land of the free becoming the land of the ever offended censors. Shame.

It is the ship of a bad person and that's the point...

Btw, a good tip for the Lego-lookalike enthusiasts among us:

Do NOT order "fake" Lego from AliExpress around the holidays. Although there is No legality by which Lego could stop anyone from making small plastic toy bricks, because every patent on it has expired, they still Will Sue You!
As they did two of my friends last Christmas. They both settled it of court for a hundred bucks or so, over a 30-50 dollar set from Ali. Ofc they had to then hand over the "illicit goods" and pay for the official destruction of these as well.

The problem is that Lego licences the right to make lookalikes of real world buildings and vehicles and stuff, and if the "fake" set you import is even remotely associated with one of these (like a Saturn V rocket or Stadium set), they can indeed sue you because they hold the licence to Exclusively produce and sell these plastic brick lookalikes.

So yeah, order out of season, and be prepared that you might still get sued.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
To be fair to Lego, they spend a huge amount of money marketing the things they want people to make, so even though the patent on the bricks may be expired, the patent on the Lego Slave 1 is not. And in fact the piece I read noted that older Slave 1 Lego sets that retain the pre-censored name will now explode in value.

I just gotta ask, who in their right mind could object to a nasty name for the ship of a nasty fictional character? Don't you need to be a very special kind of stupid? What is next? Do we all go down to the marina and search for coarse and vulgar writing on the backs of the boats? And here at TEST, we have had threads with ship names. So if you're playing a pirate character, will the woke mob come a huntin' you for calling your ride "Mr. Piddles" in support of all those who can't uriunate without a bag? Will the Pee Challenged rise up and throw down their oppressors?

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Disney is changing the name of Bobba Fett's ship because it offends woke sensibilities. It is now going to be called "the bounty hunter's starship" or some such. Even affects lego merchansizing.

Crazy. . .
This nonsense has gotten out of hand.
Disney is taking a financial hit from their wokeness. Vote with your wallet and help speed the process.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I actually track the changes in the Star Wars franchise at Disney and there is real hope there. Kathkeen Kennedy has been demoted, and Dave Filoni and Jon Favraeu have been given oversight to virtually all things Star Wars. I think Kennedy is restricted to The Acolyt series, and has been told she cannot make her Acolyt "the most powerful force user of all time" which is where she was heading.

Long story short is, Dave and Jon are trying to stay true to Lucas' vision, and have no "woke" in them. Gina Carrano could be coming back. It's her call. We should know in September. Either way though, Rangers of the New Republic is likely dead, which is a terrible shame.

I think it was Carrano's firing for purely unethical reasons that finally caused Disney to realize they were headed off a cliff.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Let me share a example of something a bit like this which I have seen happen in my life time...

Meet the Gollywog:

1625142679533.png

It was a childs toy which used to be hugely popular in the UK. It's a black person.

It was so popular from the late 1800's through to the late 90's it became a regular character in advertising through that time and was even the mascot of the countries leading Jam and Preserve making company, it was a character which easily sold a brand. Generations of people grew up with it in their lives.

It's unclear if it was originally intended to be a depiction of a black person or if the black-face Minstrel shows of the era inspired or imitated it but either way that connection to it being a black person was established early on. The Gollywog was still around in my youth and yes, we even had one in my house which I played with as a child - it was a toy, I was a kid, kid gonna play with toy. But tellingly, when I was a kid there were no other dolls of people with black or dark skin. If you had a toy that depicted a black person at all, chances were high it was a Gollywog.

After a while, as people will, the name was shortened in common usage to either 'Golly' or 'Wog'... but the term 'Wog' it became a slang insult aimed at black and darker skinned people... and not in a "I think you look like this toy how silly" kind of way, it was in a "I'm shouting this word while setting fire to your house" kind of way.

There were attempts to distance the toy and its century in popular culture from the negative connotations, calling them "Gollys" wherever referenced rather than "Gollywogs", pop culture attempting to retain them as an innocent mascot and advertising buddy everyone grew up with... but the connotations only became stronger and stronger. As more normal depictions of darker skinned people became more common in every day life, the Gollywog became more and more dated and the term 'Wog' grew even stronger an insult until it became impossible to ignore.

When the time came for the Gollywog to be a thing of the past, people in their 40's, 50's and 60's who had grown up with this thing being nothing more than an innocent toy were up in arms that it was "Political Correctness gone mad", the equivalent cry of "Woke" at the time, and that people were trying to erase their childhood... No one was trying to erase their fond memories, but in the modern era more negative memories were being created by the existence of the Gollywog than fond ones... so go the Gollywog did. Toys were no longer produced, memorabilia became discontinued, and even that leading Jam and Preserve company dropped it as a Mascot - and it was only 20 years ago in 2001 can you believe? The depiction of the Gollywog became unacceptable.

Today my kid Baby 'BobFace has a dolly of a black person, here they are sat on my TEST chair:

1625156458131.png

Compare the above picture to the one at the top of this post and imagine if the Gollywog was still the only kind of toy you could get in the UK that depicted someone of darker skin. Yeah.

Today, I have not heard the word "Wog" used for about 15 years, and the last time I heard it was from the lips of a 90 year old who is either now 105, or dead. The world moves on, things do become unacceptable, and after a time they do go away no matter the outcry of those who see no harm in it at the time...

So that's an example I have seen of something like this happening before.

Do I think not putting the name of the ship Slave 1 on the side of the box of Lego is an overreaction? Well... yes I do... To me it's a harmless descriptive term, a baddie name for a baddies ship and I can't associate the harm having that on the box has to do with anyone or anything... but I can see that may be a similar viewpoint to those people in their 30's, 40's and 50's who were crying foul when the Gollywog was being removed from pop culture in the late 90's early 2000's. I grew up with Star Wars. I loved the ship, I found its name and the way it flew and landed interesting compared to the Xwings and Millennium Falcons of the series... but someone out there remembers slavery was something which lasted centuries and caused real world changing and life changing harm to hundreds of thousands of enforced slaves... and one day someone will work out a way to make people realise the seriousness of that slave trade effect on the world and that it's effects last on to this day, and on that day anything with the word on it, even just a Star Wars toy, will look as dated and offensive as the Gollywog.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Also, I find it very strange no one has realised this before but have you noticed how the name of the ship, Slave 1, doesn't logic?

Okay, to explain this please think of The Queen of England.
She is Queen Elizabeth the Second, in other words she is the second queen of England who has the name of Elizabeth.
Before Queen Elizabeth the Second Queen Elizabeth the First was not referred to as Queen Elizabeth the First, she was only known as Queen Elizabeth because there was no Second to be the First to...

For Boba to call his ship number 1, it either assumes he thought he'd get another ship with the same name and call it Slave 2 or that he was the tinyest bit simple and didn't understand how numbering in a temporal sense works... When you have number 1 of a chain that doesn't exist yet, you don't need to call it number 1...

What's the Lore on this did he have two ships at the same time he called Slave and needed to number them or something? If so that dude had no imagination, bro.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Also, I find it very strange no one has realised this before but have you noticed how the name of the ship, Slave 1, doesn't logic?

Okay, to explain this please think of The Queen of England.
She is Queen Elizabeth the Second, in other words she is the second queen of England who has the name of Elizabeth.
Before Queen Elizabeth the Second Queen Elizabeth the First was not referred to as Queen Elizabeth the First, she was only known as Queen Elizabeth because there was no Second to be the First to...

For Boba to call his ship number 1, it either assumes he thought he'd get another ship with the same name and call it Slave 2 or that he was the tinyest bit simple and didn't understand how numbering in a temporal sense works... When you have number 1 of a chain that doesn't exist yet, you don't need to call it number 1...

What's the Lore on this did he have two ships at the same time he called Slave and needed to number them or something? If so that dude had no imagination, bro.
I was under the impression that the lore had the ship as Jengo Fett's ship, originally. Maybe dad had plans.

But we all know that the "rule of cool" is the likely culprit.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
You won't mind me holding this crazy generation that contributes so little and stands in judgement of an entire world it fails to understand, as horrifically broken for its severe lack of humility and grotesque entitlement.

No. It's Slave 1. Its owner is a villain. I think the children can just get over themselves.
Hate to pick the low-hanging fruit here and equally dislike generational rhetoric, but...Ok, Boomer. First of all; Who do you think is making these functional decisions? Did Disney hire a new 20-something VP? Of course not. They looked at the marketing landscape for a character that CERTAINLY isn't currently being billed as a villain in modern times and have decided that the optics for selling toys with "Slave 1" plastered on the box is not a fantastic idea. (Go figure!) The reason you have a long "the bounty hunter's ship" name is the fact that they have not released its NEW name yet. If I were a betting man, I'd assume that there will be something within the STORY of The Book of Boba that will explain this change in a fashion that will make sense to the narrative. Call it character growth. If everything remains the same for the sake of nostalgia, then Star Wars will get stale real quick. I get where the worries are coming from, considering all the horrible things that Kathleen Kennedy did to the franchise, but Star Wars is in new hands now. Dave Filoni has not made a single bad call yet, in my opinion, and he is the man hand-picked by George to continue the story. My suggestion, as an avid Star Wars fan myself, is to wait and see how it all pans out. Was the factor that started the conversation around the ship's name rooted in real-world politics? Sure. Does that mean the in-lore reason for the change has to suck? Absolutely not. To borrow terminology from the other side of the fence: Don't be such a snowflake about how YOU want Star Wars to be and just embrace the festering trend of capitalism that drives the direction of that creativity.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Btw after the last thread got closed, I gotta say it really saddens me that in general you basically can't go about talking of SW and other big franchises without a newly attached ideological burden, and thus end up arguing politics instead of creative visions and experiences and wholesome stuff...

Also, I don't think "Bobby Fetts ship" will sell as well as the original well known established name would sell, because the people willing to pay for it are not the loudmouth oversensitive 20something twitterite dozen of people who demanded the change in the first place. As is the case with every get woke go broke "strategy", this will fail hard. Lego is always expensive, the people who actually buy this stuff are 35+ and mostly in their 40s or 50s, they want to buy Slave I, not some random named set. If the price point was like 20% of what it will be, then sure, name wouldnt matter...
So.no, I don't think the marketing department at Lego.and Disney made the right call from a capitalist viewpoint either.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Btw after the last thread got closed, I gotta say it really saddens me that in general you basically can't go about talking of SW and other big franchises without a newly attached ideological burden, and thus end up arguing politics instead of creative visions and experiences and wholesome stuff...

Also, I don't think "Bobby Fetts ship" will sell as well as the original well known established name would sell, because the people willing to pay for it are not the loudmouth oversensitive 20something twitterite dozen of people who demanded the change in the first place. As is the case with every get woke go broke "strategy", this will fail hard. Lego is always expensive, the people who actually buy this stuff are 35+ and mostly in their 40s or 50s, they want to buy Slave I, not some random named set. If the price point was like 20% of what it will be, then sure, name wouldnt matter...
So.no, I don't think the marketing department at Lego.and Disney made the right call from a capitalist viewpoint either.
Fair enough, I suppose, but the nature of the post itself was political at the get-go so it's not like I pulled some liberal rant out of my grundle and heaped it on you while you were discussing the finer points of Toshi station's power converter prices. I just don't respond great to overgeneralized bellyaching and felt like speaking up for that straw-man being paraded about. Also, get 100 paying Star Wars customers before all this (random grab-bag of ages and involvement) and ask them all "What is Slave-1?" Maybe about 40 of those random people would know what it is. Of those 40, a small number of them would give a quarter of a shit if you changed the name. There have been GRAVE missteps by Disney with the Star Wars lore over the past decade, true, but this isn't necessarily one of them. Specialty collectors who care about the continuation of that ship's designation are a much smaller market than the mountain of rabid eight-year-olds who have parents who will balk at the appearance of "Slave-1" on the side of little billy's favorite new toy (Aurebesh or not). Oversensitive? Yeah, maybe. But that's the market, baby. Save the high-price Slave-1 branded ships for the High-end Black Series style product line with a more mature target consumer. Artificial Scarcity breeds $$$$. At the end of the day, let's all just pray for more good Live-Action Star Wars. Take heart, ye faithful, for Filoni will deliver us from the bosom of the destroyer known as Kennedy and bring forth a new age of severed hands

I'm guessing it will all not matter once Boba dies and Mando renames HIS new ship. Then you can equally do fanservice by having in-universe characters react to it by its former notoriety. That is my zero evidence prediction.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The most offensive thing to me about cancel culture, or the notion that children with no ethics training, no time in church, no objective values, no sense of history and no understanding of the world around them; are going to correct everyone who went before them and not only dictate the language we must use, but the terms of the conflict they're going to foist upon the world, even by violence if need be.

It is the sheer magnitude of the ignorance, arrogance and entitlement that staggers the mind. There is just no answer to such people. It does explain however, the kind of mindset the Germans must have developed as Hitler came to power--entitlement. The most terrifying thing of it all is this generation in America has access to the most powerful weapons of war in all human history, and today's ignorant and irrespnsible children have the power to force their insanity on the whole world, not just Disney.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Back to the Disney thing: the CEO of Disney fired Brie Larson today. She was supposed to play the uber-character Maeve in her own series, but seems she was demanding pay right off the charts and Disney CEO Bob Chapek fired her. She will still play the role in The Acopyte unless that too gets cancelled.

For the CEO to step in and intercede at this level is most uncommon, but Larson is almost universally hated by the people at Marvel, and that is spilling over to Star Wars now. Generally people think she is nasty, entitled, a poor actress and full of herself.

I think like the woke mob, one day Larson will wake up and realize all she was never thankful for.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
The most offensive thing to me about cancel culture, or the notion that children with no ethics training, no time in church, no objective values, no sense of history and no understanding of the world around them; are going to correct everyone who went before them and not only dictate the language we must use, but the terms of the conflict they're going to foist upon the world, even by violence if need be.

It is the sheer magnitude of the ignorance, arrogance and entitlement that staggers the mind. There is just no answer to such people. It does explain however, the kind of mindset the Germans must have developed as Hitler came to power--entitlement. The most terrifying thing of it all is this generation in America has access to the most powerful weapons of war in all human history, and today's ignorant and irrespnsible children have the power to force their insanity on the whole world, not just Disney.
There it is! DING DING DING! Judges? That is confirmed, We have reductio ad Hitlerum on our hands with this thread and it is starting its loooong dive into crazytown.

I posit that the ethics they hold are seen as wrong by you because you don't share them. They didn't go to church because they couldn't get over how their parent's so-called religion of love was most concerned with who to hate. You see their values as nebulous because you cannot relate to them on account of never putting forth an honest effort to try and see things from another perspective. You see them as uneducated because they refuse to regurgitate the whitewashed version of history that YOU were fed during the height of the cold war. And nobody is "foisting" a thing on you. If a company knee-jerks themselves into bankruptcy by attempting to placate the masses, that's their fault. But the golden rule of capitalism is: Serve what the people want. I'm sorry that the things you want to see and believe are falling from vogue, but that is the march of history my man. I'm sure there are plenty of octogenarians out there who lament their inability to publicly utilize all the fun cultural terminology they grew up with, but you would still probably balk if they dropped the hard R while in line at Dairy Queen. That is the slow march of progress. Not all inconvenience is injustice, and not all change is unfounded. Lead, Follow, or Get the hell out of the way.

$0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot your password?