Small Ships all have Jump Drives now?

Jastorin

Vice Admiral
Oct 15, 2017
RSI Handle
Jastorin
Before this update, all ships larger than a Snub could fit a jump drive, but many didn't have them listed because they weren't fitted as standard. I recall CR saying a new player would start in a ship without a jump drive, earn UEC playing in their starting system, then buy & fit a jump drive once they've got the hang of the game and made some money. Not sure if that's still planned, but it would be a good way to make a semi-tutorial without limiting gameplay.
They can stay and learn how to play in the start system with a jump drive too. By having it they have the option to go join an org located elsewhere and learn from those players as well. Besides the stats are up for ships bought as pledges right now they might not come with the ships you buy ingame or get to start with after release when you are just buying the game unless they keep higher options that might but you pay more for it.

Reactions: Mich Angel

Jastorin

Vice Admiral
Oct 15, 2017
RSI Handle
Jastorin
Before this update, all ships larger than a Snub could fit a jump drive, but many didn't have them listed because they weren't fitted as standard. I recall CR saying a new player would start in a ship without a jump drive, earn UEC playing in their starting system, then buy & fit a jump drive once they've got the hang of the game and made some money. Not sure if that's still planned, but it would be a good way to make a semi-tutorial without limiting gameplay.
Also from my understanding squadron 42 is suppose to be the tutorial even though it’s bought separately once it’s out that is.

Edite: at least that’s the way I remember them pitching it back at the beginning.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
The official word from CIG is that every ship can mount a Jump drive, even if it doesn't come with some stock.

The only exceptions are (obviously) ground vehicles, and snubs (Dragonfly, Merlin/Archimedes, Nox, MPUV, X1, might have forgotten one).

Lorewise, Jump Drives are literally attached to Q-drives, they use some sort of radiation or wave generation to open up the wormholes and then travel through em. So you can't have a Jump Drive without a Q-drive, and snubbies are too small to mount a Q-drive.

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
Sorry if I'm repeating some of you, but most of your posts were TL;DR. Jump drive = Nicked (as in highly modded by Nick Croshaw) Q-drive. This would mean that Quantum Travel fuel and Jump drive fuel are the same. I can't speak to consumption levels, though. Jumping from Stanton to Pyro could cost as much as a QT from Hurston to MicroTech or from Olisar to the ICC probe. The only snub that can QT is the 85X because Origin. I was under the impression that all the true ships could Jump systems IF they had a Jump drive installed. A Jump drive is not cheap, probably at least twice the cost of a Q-drive, so why put it in an Aurora ES when it is only going to be used in-system. You start jumping through wormholes, you have to travel a ways and there are highway men laying in wait. Jump drives were only installed on ships that would be changing systems and just like many own a Dodge Challenger, but few own a Hellcat, so the same with Jump drives. The only small ships with jump drives were like the Aurora LX and the Mustang Beta and Delta. Give the Ship Matrix a few weeks to sort things out, I don't think they are as accurate as they've claimed in the rush to get a more realistic layout of the ships implemented.

Jastorin

Vice Admiral
Oct 15, 2017
RSI Handle
Jastorin
Sorry if I'm repeating some of you, but most of your posts were TL;DR. Jump drive = Nicked (as in highly modded by Nick Croshaw) Q-drive. This would mean that Quantum Travel fuel and Jump drive fuel are the same. I can't speak to consumption levels, though. Jumping from Stanton to Pyro could cost as much as a QT from Hurston to MicroTech or from Olisar to the ICC probe. The only snub that can QT is the 85X because Origin. I was under the impression that all the true ships could Jump systems IF they had a Jump drive installed. A Jump drive is not cheap, probably at least twice the cost of a Q-drive, so why put it in an Aurora ES when it is only going to be used in-system. You start jumping through wormholes, you have to travel a ways and there are highway men laying in wait. Jump drives were only installed on ships that would be changing systems and just like many own a Dodge Challenger, but few own a Hellcat, so the same with Jump drives. The only small ships with jump drives were like the Aurora LX and the Mustang Beta and Delta. Give the Ship Matrix a few weeks to sort things out, I don't think they are as accurate as they've claimed in the rush to get a more realistic layout of the ships implemented.
Could be or maybe they are giving them all jump drives for now for testing purposes who knows they have plenty of time to decide I don’t think jumps are coming for awhile yet.

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
Could be or maybe they are giving them all jump drives for now for testing purposes who knows they have plenty of time to decide I don’t think jumps are coming for awhile yet.
Yeah, I have a feeling they are going to finish Stanton before they open jumps to other systems, and I'm guessing Pyro first.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Yes think the next system will be Pyro since that is kind of the pirate system... would be nice if they open that up even if Stanton is not all finished

Last edited:

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
Yes think the next system will be Pyro since that is kind of the pirate system... would be nice if they open that up even if Stanton is not all finished
Heh, I didn't realize that Pyro is ungoverned, but Stanton-->Pyro-->Nyx and Delamar/Levski is really located in Nyx. Apparently the Levski hippie commune is near and dear to CIG's heart.

ShakyWater

Vice Admiral
Jan 4, 2017
RSI Handle
shakywater
The Aurora line, for example, has the slot for a jump drive but no drive as standard, apart from the LX which gets it in ship as default loadout.

A lot of small ships don't have a drive fitted, but can take one.
You know the next thing on the list is going to be giving jump drives to every Aurora.

Forgot your password?