So... I made some rudder pedals...

Slansickness

Space Marshal
Mar 14, 2015
RSI Handle
Slantsickness

Sorry for the fuzzyness in the pic, my wife wasn't here to help me, and aluminum is very reflective. I have been working on these for the last 2 weeks, finished programming the microcontroller today and have it working as a USB HID in windows.

Mostly aluminum construction with a few bits of steel for reinforcement and a couple bits of plasic to hold the sensors. I used magnetoresistive sensors for all 3 axes, nice and smooth response with no jitter. All I have left to do is improve the cable management, and I want to add some heel stops on the bottom of the pedals.

Slansickness

Space Marshal
Mar 14, 2015
RSI Handle
Slantsickness
Very nice! How much did it cost overall?
Only about $40 (and my lunch breaks for a week and a half), but almost all of the material came out of the scrap bin and I designed around what I had on hand. I bought the microcontroller for $16 , 3 sensors at $5ish each, and the magnets, which were like $.30 each but the shipping is expensive. The bearings and fasteners I had on hand.

Reactions: Space Monkey

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
Only about $40 (and my lunch breaks for a week and a half), but almost all of the material came out of the scrap bin and I designed around what I had on hand. I bought the microcontroller for $16 , 3 sensors at $5ish each, and the magnets, which were like $.30 each but the shipping is expensive. The bearings and fasteners I had on hand.
How do you think the magnetoresistive sensors compare to hall effect sensors?

Jhonon1

Space Marshal
Mar 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Jhon-On
11.5? That'd buy you a manual, or something desktop sized. Gotta shell out at least 30 for something approaching 'proper' size.

Slansickness

Space Marshal
Mar 14, 2015
RSI Handle
Slantsickness

Groundstain

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Groundstain
Last edited:
Reactions: Slansickness

Slansickness

Space Marshal
Mar 14, 2015
RSI Handle
Slantsickness
How do you think the magnetoresistive sensors compare to hall effect sensors?
I used NXP's KMA210's which are really easy to use. They have an integrated processor to read the MR sensor and filter it, The package is 3 lead through-hole, so its easy to use without a PCB. Leads are Vcc, GND, and 0-5V out, so in practice its just like using a pot. They MR sensors are more susceptible to stray magnetic fields than Hall effects, but I used neodyminm magnets in very close proximity, so in practice this wont be an issue. The center values repeat within 1 on the 10 bit ADC and the sensors resolution is listed at .04 degrees. I am very pleased with these sensors.

Jhonon1

Space Marshal
Mar 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Jhon-On
... or you could learn to hand code G & M code.
Bah that's not so bad at all, whats great is getting something NOT a Haas and doing it conversationally.
I'm working on controls older than I am, and even 23 years ago Mazak had some pretty useable software

Slansickness

Space Marshal
Mar 14, 2015
RSI Handle
Slantsickness
Oh, a knock-off EZ Trak, i used to use those! You have to put a rubber band around the Y-axis handle to keep the folding handle recessed when in auto mode. The springs break after like 2 days and then they fall out and hit you in the nuts with enough force to make your unborn children weep. Memories...

Slansickness

Space Marshal
Mar 14, 2015
RSI Handle
Slantsickness
Bah that's not so bad at all, whats great is getting something NOT a Haas and doing it conversationally.
I'm working on controls older than I am, and even 23 years ago Mazak had some pretty useable software
At my shop we have an old Bridgeport with a Heidenhein control and some unique version of what the Germans thought was good conversational code 30 years ago. I prefer G&M to that. I spend most of my time running a DX-32 though, they are super easy to run.

Jhonon1

Space Marshal
Mar 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Jhon-On
I haven't had the misfortune of either such terror, 30yr old German code or Ball-smashing, but i'm pretty new to the field.

Plenty of other stuff I've had to do is pretty terrifying though. Right now its Boeing wanting a bunch 4130/40 parts... uugghhh. Took 2 weeks to finish Roughing, and now I wait for them to return from heat-treating...

Forgot your password?