Solo: A Star Wars Story

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
@Blind Owl

I didn't go in looking for an agenda either, but I felt I was being hit over the head with it. I don't know why it might have hit me harder, while others seemed to overlook it. Maybe I've just grown more cynical over the years.
Well we each are shaped by our experiences and lives, and we each experience and view things in our own unique way. That's what makes us so amazing. None of our perspectives is wrong, mearly different.

I'm sorry that your experience wasn't as positive as mine was. I wish everyone and viewed and loved this grandiose space fantasy as much as I did and do.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I wish i could be there with you Blind Owl, but for me there was to many story points that were jarring. Like a untrained Rey remains unscathed and really has had no challenges, no flaws no real character development.

They try to build up the importance of her family in VII and then discard it as meaningless in VIII. Her lineage is meaningless. Her choices are her own. Learning she is Rey Random means that she faces no consequences, no ramifications, and no burdens from her family heritage. She is free to simply live her life, with no long shadows to overcome and no dangerous risks to guard against. With Lucasfilm having consistently pushed the talking point that Episodes VII and VIII are about family, and Rey’s own motivations in those two movies centering in large part on her unrequited expectations and unanswered questions about her family, Rey ends up with that theme playing no part in her story going forward.

Nothing in The Force Awakens provides any reason for believing that Rey harbors any doubt in her commitment to doing the right thing. Then they try to show her doubting being the hero when she attempts to hand Luke the lightsaber a second time. When he refuses, she tells him that Ben Solo turning back to the light side is “our last hope.” The implication, then, is that Rey does not believe herself worthy of the role of hero in her own right.

I could go on but it really for me comes down to poor story writing and character development that is on par with the first episode. While the visuals and sound once again are amazing the story feels very much on rails with the characters having to make no decisions no turmoil and no responsibility.

While I can see the perspective of those who rail against the movie as some sort of SJW attempt to constrict their beloved story into something else for me its more just a beautiful picture that tells no tale.

Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?