Some fleet building help required

Makimera

Vice Admiral
Oct 27, 2019
RSI Handle
Maki
Im at that stage again where im not sure what to do with my ship buildup.
Wondering if anyone here could help me out with some input etc.
As im not sure if i have to many duplicate ships or not.

As a player i am normaly playing support/pve.
Since i suck at dogfighting and pvp in general.
- i like to chill playing, doing pve missions, like trading, bounty hunting.
- want to get into mining a bit more, but having a hard time learning it properly.
- in fleet ops im looking primary at beeing support, but willing to learn some combat as well.

Fleet im looking for is primarly support/trade/industry, with some combat alternatives.

On my buyback list:
VULCAN
CATERPILLAR & DRAGONFLY PACK

MY current fleet:

Standalone
Andromeda
(with redeemer upgrade)
Super Hornet
kraken
starfarer
(with merchantman upgrade) (with mercantman -> c2 upgrade)
orion
hull c
(with starfarer upgrade) (with gemini upgrade)

2948 pack 1
- terrapin (with hull c upgrade)
- Cutty Black
- prospector (with mercury upgrade)
- Hull b
- Carrack

2948 pack 2

- freelancer dur (with vulture upgrade)
- Tumbril cyclone rn
- Polaris
- Apollo medivac
- tumbril cylcone-tr

MY current planed changes:
- freelancer dur into prospector
- cyclone rn into vulture

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thanks in advance for any help you guys can give :)

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Interesting list of assorted ships. I see that you upgraded your Starfarer to a BMM, then to a C2. The C2 will be a great cargo ship that'll help with your cargo transporting needs that have to travel in & out of orbit. I'm suspecting that the BMM would also be a rather laid back ship since 1 of its key features is its internal bizarre / market place. For solo mining to just chill with, I'd suggest that you pick up either a Prospector or a ROC if not both. For the maximum amount of cargo that can fit through small jump points in the future, I'd suggest picking up a Freelancer Max. Ultimately, the best advise I can give is to sort things out now while waiting for the Anniversary sale that's usually at the end of Nov. Which gives you about a month & a half to make your decisions.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Interesting list of assorted ships. I see that you upgraded your Starfarer to a BMM, then to a C2. The C2 will be a great cargo ship that'll help with your cargo transporting needs that have to travel in & out of orbit. I'm suspecting that the BMM would also be a rather laid back ship since 1 of its key features is its internal bizarre / market place. For solo mining to just chill with, I'd suggest that you pick up either a Prospector or a ROC if not both. For the maximum amount of cargo that can fit through small jump points in the future, I'd suggest picking up a Freelancer Max. Ultimately, the best advise I can give is to sort things out now while waiting for the Anniversary sale that's usually at the end of Nov. Which gives you about a month & a half to make your decisions.
Spot on... what he said... ^^

CHEERS! 🍻

Makimera

Vice Admiral
Oct 27, 2019
RSI Handle
Maki
Thanks for the reply :)
The upgrades are not applied yet, just bought them for possible future upgrades, since i had an idea what i wanted but got a bit unsure again :)

But a freelancer, prospector and a roc. sounds like a good idea.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Thanks for the reply :)
The upgrades are not applied yet, just bought them for possible future upgrades, since i had an idea what i wanted but got a bit unsure again :)

But a freelancer, prospector and a roc. sounds like a good idea.
@Talonsbane is right. The Freelancer Max is a useful ship, because you can fly with a few friends or alone and not suffer. But don't risk everything all at once, a server crash can be painful. The Prospector can also be an incredibly good investment. No need to wait for friends, and what you can earn is stellar right now.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
In a recent government funded research grant, the general consensus by the wisest minds of test concluded:

BUY ALL THE SHIPS!!!

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Hmm putting aside the upgrade kit that are not appplied yet I see a lot or redundant ship...
I'll suggest to sit down a moment and take a rational analisys of your inventory and asking why I need this ship.
For example: you have a Freelancer DUR, and explorer ship, and Carrack, another explorer ship with better capability. Why both? Is there a role that the DUR can fulfill then the Carrack can't?
for my point of view they fill the same role, one doing it better then the other and with more capability, so keep the Carrack and dump the DUR (and the Andromeda also)

Another example: you have both an Hull B and an Hull C: both are heavy trasport ships, both can't land on platfor while carry some cargo... why having both, what are the task that a Hull B can do that a C can't.... dump the B and keep the C.

If you are really looking for an optimization of your fleet then dump any reduntant ships an get something that fill some role that you DON'T have covered yet.
For example: how about a StarLiner, an Endeavor, eventually an Idris, a 890J, how about a Crucible or a Pioneer, a Valkyerie or a Prowler...
There are a tons of "support" ship (meaning not dogfighter...) outh there, aim to ght them intead of duplicated role ships.

Chip Hazzard

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2018
RSI Handle
ChipHazzard
Going on from what everyone else has put, but addressing some points I have taken from what you want to do.

You have put that you want to chill and do pve missions, including bounty hunting. So I would focus on a ship for that (as you don't have one in your line up yet). I would look at getting either a;
  1. Hawk - EMP, good firepower in the small ship, single prisoner pod.
  2. Avenger Stalker - Solo, 6 prisoner pods, bed. Is the flying penguin!
  3. Cutlass Blue - Can solo or go with some friends, Quantam Jump Inhibitor, 12 Prisoner pods (I think), but mostly.... FLASHING PURSUIT LIGHTS!!!
I personally like the Cutlass, you can stop the bounty from running, and you also have cargo space as well. I know that at the moment, most BH missions are kill on site ones, but looking forward to when they implement the capture state, so you can actually capture your bounty.

For fleet ops, I would buy back your Vulcan, as with the drones you will be able to repair/rearm/refuel fellow TESTies to keep the fighting going. You have an Apollo Medivac too, so that will be great to go in after we are all blown up, and try to pump beer back into everyone!

Other than that, I would take some of Cugino83's advice and consolidate some of your duplicated ships. You have lots of huge ships, so I would look at changing some so that they will fit through small jump points.

Anyhow, that's just my random thoughts on it. But it is all up to you my friend 🍻

Makimera

Vice Admiral
Oct 27, 2019
RSI Handle
Maki
Thanks, exactly the points you guys made that im trying to get fixed with my fleet :)
Feelt like i had to many doubles and trying to get feedback to improve it, since at one point or another il end up just having redundant ships that wont be used.
it's just tricky to know where to begin.

some of my doubles was made from the start to have smaller ships to start out with. so i didnt just sit with big once. but have something when i just wana solo a bit.
the ships i know i am going to replace is the freelancer dur and cyclones.

what im still trying to decide is if i want the merchantman or the a2 or if that would also become duplicates with my hull c.
but at the same time im waiting a bit since we dont know alot about the merchantman atm.
thats pretty much where i am with most my ships, where does it become to much of a duplicate.

really appricate all the feedback and pointers made so far :)

Chip Hazzard

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2018
RSI Handle
ChipHazzard
Thanks, exactly the points you guys made that im trying to get fixed with my fleet :)
Feelt like i had to many doubles and trying to get feedback to improve it, since at one point or another il end up just having redundant ships that wont be used.
it's just tricky to know where to begin.

some of my doubles was made from the start to have smaller ships to start out with. so i didnt just sit with big once. but have something when i just wana solo a bit.
the ships i know i am going to replace is the freelancer dur and cyclones.

what im still trying to decide is if i want the merchantman or the a2 or if that would also become duplicates with my hull c.
but at the same time im waiting a bit since we dont know alot about the merchantman atm.
thats pretty much where i am with most my ships, where does it become to much of a duplicate.

really appricate all the feedback and pointers made so far :)
Totally get what you mean with the smaller duplicates.

I think from the descriptions, and reading (and my thoughts on the ships), I would probably go with the Merchantman over a C2, as I think that you are covered with transport ships with the Hull-B/C, Starfarer and the mighty Kraken!

In my mind you do have a lot of cargo ships. But they all seem pretty big! I would maybe look at getting a Freelancer MAX, as more of a resupply ship for the Kraken or Merchantman (if you upgraded to it), as that would allow you to go through smaller jump points, land at smaller outposts etc.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
In a recent government funded research grant, the general consensus by the wisest minds of test concluded:

BUY ALL THE SHIPS!!!
Amen to that (said my empty wallet)...

Also, @Makimera i'd like to understand why you upgraded your starfarer to a bmm then to a C2.
@Talonsbane pointed that the C2 is great for a size large trading ship (true, that is what we all hope), but the BMM is (will be?) also a great ship for trading, and its potential will shine when afk trading i bet, plus larger cargo haul (for now) than the C2, will still be larger even if they downsize it like they did for Carrack.

C2 is like any ship that can haul stuff for cargo : you will need to physically be in front of your computer to move and sell stuff.

BMM is exactly the contrary, you haul some stuff to some place and you set your shop there, and just wait for the cash to roll in (selling to npc and players), and i bet you dont need to be in front of the computer once the shop is set (game still need to be running though). The same for the Privateer.

Personally i have both ships. I will use the C2 for everyday trade (alongside my Hull-E for bigger stuff) and the BMM to do afk trading.

Last edited:

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
I can't say much for the ships but if you want to learn Mining:

3.11's is in the research phase atm.

Makimera

Vice Admiral
Oct 27, 2019
RSI Handle
Maki
Amen to that (said my empty wallet)...

Also, @Makimera i'd like to understand why you upgraded your starfarer to a bmm then to a C2.
@Talonsbane pointed that the C2 is great for a size large trading ship (true, that is what we all hope), but the BMM is (will be?) also a great ship for trading, and its potential will shine when afk trading i bet, plus larger cargo haul (for now) than the C2, will still be larger even if they downsize it like they did for Carrack.

C2 is like any ship that can haul stuff for cargo : you will need to physically be in front of your computer to move and sell stuff.

BMM is exactly the contrary, you haul some stuff to some place and you set your shop there, and just wait for the cash to roll in (selling to npc and players), and i bet you dont need to be in front of the computer once the shop is set (game still need to be running though). The same for the Privateer.

Personally i have both ships. I will use the C2 for everyday trade (alongside my Hull-E for bigger stuff) and the BMM to do afk trading.
The reason i got the BMM upgrade was becouse it was something diffrent, alien and an alternative for my hull c when doing secure trade. So the main plan is to upgrade to the BMM.
But incase it would all go to shit with the the cargo size, i got the c2 upgrade as well, just incase.

overall my thougt from the begining was doing andromeda trading when starting, then go over to my starfarer, then end with the hull c as endgame trader.
But then i got carried away and got the hull b and carrack and well here i am with ships delux with no clear plan, more then it's shiny :D

Makimera

Vice Admiral
Oct 27, 2019
RSI Handle
Maki
quickly went thrue my ship list and if i would apply all my upgrades, i came up with this. So yeha, alot of trade related ships. From that perspective the hull b is definatly getting replaced. the cutty black is a big question mark, it's a very versitile ship, perhaps replace the hull b with the freelancer.

redeemer​
gunship​
super hornet​
combat​
kraken​
support​
carrier​
merchantman​
shop​
trade​
orion​
mining​
starfarer​
gas mining​
trade​
fuel​
support​
Hull c​
trade​
cutty black​
trade​
combat​
mercury​
trade​
data​
Hull b​
trade​
carrack​
trade​
exploration​
medical​
prospector​
mining​
vulture​
salvage​
Polaris​
combat​
medical​
apollo​
medical​
cyclone tr
vulcan​
fuel​
support​

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
@Talonsbane is right. The Freelancer Max is a useful ship, because you can fly with a few friends or alone and not suffer. But don't risk everything all at once, a server crash can be painful. The Prospector can also be an incredibly good investment. No need to wait for friends, and what you can earn is stellar right now.
As somebody that has learned this lesson the hard way, I strongly advise against ever spending more than 1/2 of your creds on any load of cargo to transport to sell elsewhere. If anything goes wrong, there's a massive chance that you'll lose ALL of that investment. In which the only recourse you can do afterwards will be to begin the grind from where you're at financially then.

For example: you have a Freelancer DUR, and explorer ship, and Carrack, another explorer ship with better capability. Why both? Is there a role that the DUR can fulfill then the Carrack can't?
Actually, there is something in the exploration role that the Dur will be able to do that the Carrack can't. The Freelancers have been stated to be the largest ships that can fit through the smallest jump points when those are available. While the Carrack can use a snub ship like the Pisces, those are limited in functionality & range compared to the Dur for exploration as well as other purposes.

Chip Hazzard

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2018
RSI Handle
ChipHazzard
Actually, there is something in the exploration role that the Dur will be able to do that the Carrack can't. The Freelancers have been stated to be the largest ships that can fit through the smallest jump points when those are available. While the Carrack can use a snub ship like the Pisces, those are limited in functionality & range compared to the Dur for exploration as well as other purposes.
I would agree with this. I love the DUR, and use it more than any other ship in my fleet. It has quite a bit of cargo, so you can bring back stuff from exploration. Has pretty good firepower as stock, and has a refinery to be able to stay out for longer (not quantum unfortunately). I think it would make a good solo/small jump point exploration ship in your fleet, for when you don't want to man your Carrack!

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
If you suck at dogfighting, but want to fly PvE missions like bounty hunting, then you want the most capable fighter-bomber possible, which is the Sentinel. I noticed that nothing you noted smacks of stealth. I would recommend you learn how to strike from the unseen, inky, black of the void, so you can PvE without dogfighting. That means you want a stealth missileboat, and there is none better than the Sentinel.

In stealth turn everything off but one reactor, one cooler and the missiles. You'll be the quietest ship in all SC, and have medium radar and sensors to guide your missiles out way past where you can be detected. In combat turn everything on, including the EMP. Suddenly dogfighters that want to brawl at close range will keep their distance, and even large ships are properly considered fair game. Toy with adding the Absolution distortion scattergun for taking down Carracks. Try the Revenant on a gimble. (The M7A has the same pips as the BRVS.) Two stage trigger, laser on primary and squeeze the rest of the way when the gattlings come in range. This is the only fighter carrying a gun good to 6km (S5), so you can snipe opponents that can't hit back. When the modules come out, you can swap the Harby bomber package in (50% greater missile loadout) and the Hoplite package (6 marines).

There's so much you can do with this ship you won't want to fly any of the others.

Last edited:

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
If you suck at dogfighting, but want to fly PvE missions like bounty hunting, then you want the most capable fighter-bomber possible, which is the Sentinel. I noticed that nothing you noted smacks of stealth. I would recommend you learn how to strike from the unseen, inky, black of the void, so you can PvE without dogfighting. That means you want a stealth missileboat, and there is none better than the Sentinel.

In stealth turn everything off but one reactor, one cooler and the missiles. You'll be the quietest ship in all SC, and have medium radar and sensors to guide your missiles out way past where you can be detected. In combat turn everything on, including the EMP. Suddenly dogfighters that want to brawl at close range will keep their distance, and even large ships are properly considered fair game. Toy with adding the Absolution distortion scattergun for taking down Carracks. Try the Revenant on a gimble. (The M7A has the same pips as the BRVS.) When the modules come out, you can swap the Harby bomber package in (50% greater missile loadout) and the Hoplite package (6 marines).

There's so much you can do with this ship you won't want to fly any of the others.
Yeah confirm that either you're good or bad Sentinel kick ass.. what a flying stealth tank ha ha 🍻

Forgot your password?