"Spectrum" by CIG

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
Interesting. A nod to their internet provider?
It could possibly a means to fulfill a contractual obligation. I'm sure that they're getting a trade discount by doing this kind of advertising/advertorial (they did that commercial for TWC a year ago) because business internet connections from TWC are absolutely highway robbery. In my area a 10/3Mb connection for a business is $700 per month from TWC and fiber connections start at 6 grand a month. Incorporating the name wouldn't be immersion breaking for us players and could help meet their end of the trade bargain.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
It could possibly a means to fulfill a contractual obligation. I'm sure that they're getting a trade discount by doing this kind of advertising/advertorial (they did that commercial for TWC a year ago) because business internet connections from TWC are absolutely highway robbery. In my area a 10/3Mb connection for a business is $700 per month from TWC and fiber connections start at 6 grand a month. Incorporating the name wouldn't be immersion breaking for us players and could help meet their end of the trade bargain.
Damn. That's fucking ridiculous. Niche breakdown though. Thanks.
Real world-wise, I can see this being the case. Lorewise, Spectrum is the medium that all the Lore dispatches are presented on. It's the TV/Interwebs/last stop comm shop of the UEE.

@epilecticCricket, great rundown.
Ooooooo, lore. I reckon I should get reading some. Eventually. Maybe.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
I've got one of the cheapest plans from Cox.. the Natzi's of ISPs in the west coast for Las Vegas. They're the ONLY cable line provider... they "own" all the conduit to run new fiber lines IIRC. When my neighborhood was newer, I was seeing average 60 down 15 up for burst... after they "upgraded" the speeds for free.. I've had way slower uploads. And my speedtest grade dropped from A to B+.

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
"1Gbps Fiber network" no wonder it's slow/laggy. 1Gbps can be saturated easily as connections scale AFAIK. 10Gbps and 100Gbps are attainable internally.. right? so.. cheaper tech?
I wonder if there are plans, in the works or in the future, to upgrade to higher speed? A lot has been developed in two years.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I wonder if there are plans, in the works or in the future, to upgrade to higher speed? A lot has been developed in two years.
The article is talking about their external internet access (wan) speed of which 1Gbs is good particularly if it is uncontended (no one else sharing it) as leased fibre lines tend to be. Now they're hosting most of the game and content on amazon web services they probably are not going to need more than 1Gbps as all they'll be using it for is browsing, streaming, youtubes and occasionally uploading game files to amazon.

Their internal network (LAN) will probably (should!) be running at 10Gbs which aught to provide PLENTY of bandwidth for the devs. I've counted 800 megabytes a second real time file transfers on my 10GB network, which is the equivalent speed of downloading an entire copy of star citizen from scratch every 30 seconds. The disk drives of the PCs/Servers involved are likely to become the limiting factor here.

Either way. More Mb/s is always good! You have to balance it against cost though.

Forgot your password?