SQ42 System Requirments

Toihva

Captain
Aug 13, 2017
RSI Handle
Dagnimaer
Ok, with the SQ42 having official minimal system requirments, how close does everyone think this will be for SC?

* Windows 7 (64bit) with Service Pack 1, Windows 8 (64bit), Windows 10 - Anniversary Update (64bit)
* DirectX 11 Graphics Card with 2GB RAM (4GB strongly recommended)
* Quad Core CPU
* 16GB+ RAM
* SSD strongly recommended
-Source: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/squadron42

A few sites are claiming GTX 750ti/R7 360x as minimum GPUs.

Me, personally, think this will be the requirement for SC as well since both are based on the same engine. Only thing they will add for SC is high speed internet as a requirment (and cuz we live in 'Merica, they will have to put that though everyone pretty much knows its an online game).

And like most of us, we don't go for Minimal, we go for Recommneded or better. So where I think the Recommended is gonna end up, for both SC and SQ42 are:

CPU: More recent CPU such as i7-4700 or Zen 1600
RAM: Honestly think 32MB is gonna be recommended, and at today's prices ouch.
GPU: This is gonna be hard, but thinking something in the 970/R9 390x or something, maybe even faster.
Storage: SSD as a must and maybe even NVMe based.

Your thoughts?

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Ok, with the SQ42 having official minimal system requirments, how close does everyone think this will be for SC?

Me, personally, think this will be the requirement for SC as well since both are based on the same engine. Only thing they will add for SC is high speed internet as a requirment (and cuz we live in 'Merica, they will have to put that though everyone pretty much knows its an online game).

And like most of us, we don't go for Minimal, we go for Recommneded or better. So where I think the Recommended is gonna end up, for both SC and SQ42 are:

GPU: This is gonna be hard, but thinking something in the 970/R9 390x or something, maybe even faster.

Your thoughts?
I hardly think that 32 MB of RAM will run this game :P

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
I'm waiting to see what my fellow TESTes recommend once they've had some time in the PTU

with my budget I only get one chance to do it right every few years

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD

Your thoughts?
I'm thinking...
CPU: Doesn't need to be recent, as long as it's powerful. I'm thinking anything with 4 cores @3.4GHz or faster will do the trick nicely.
RAM: 16GB will probably be okey on the recommended machine as well, keeping in mind that the current size of my SC folder is 30.5GB and not all of that will be loaded into the ram at the same time. I'm not seeing 32GB even when the game size doubles or triples.
GPU: For the recommended setup, I'm thinking RX480/GTX1060. More powerful cards, even if they're previous generation, will work better. But here, the cards need to be somewhat recent to have all that fancy graphics tech.
Storage: SSD will be fine, even HDD if you don't mind spending 5 minutes in the loading screen, this won't really affect FPS. Unless you run out of RAM I guess. Hmm...

Toihva

Captain
Aug 13, 2017
RSI Handle
Dagnimaer
I'm thinking...
CPU: Doesn't need to be recent, as long as it's powerful. I'm thinking anything with 4 cores @3.4GHz or faster will do the trick nicely.
RAM: 16GB will probably be okey on the recommended machine as well, keeping in mind that the current size of my SC folder is 30.5GB and not all of that will be loaded into the ram at the same time. I'm not seeing 32GB even when the game size doubles or triples.
GPU: For the recommended setup, I'm thinking RX480/GTX1060. More powerful cards, even if they're previous generation, will work better. But here, the cards need to be somewhat recent to have all that fancy graphics tech.
Storage: SSD will be fine, even HDD if you don't mind spending 5 minutes in the loading screen, this won't really affect FPS. Unless you run out of RAM I guess. Hmm...
Can agree with everything save the CPU. I have a 4c/4t and talking with others, those that have extra threads aren't having as much of a time. Given that they are going Vulcan, more threads will be better since that API will utilize more threads in an optimized manner more so than DX12 and especially DX11 (which is the requirement for SQ42).

Also, given there are no loading screens I do think an SSD will be on the recommended list over an HDD given that the HDD has to find the info via physically spinning platters.

Toihva

Captain
Aug 13, 2017
RSI Handle
Dagnimaer
I'm waiting to see what my fellow TESTes recommend once they've had some time in the PTU

with my budget I only get one chance to do it right every few years
As far as upgrading, depends on which platform you go with. If you choose AMD you can go AMD side and be set til about 2020 as far as MB's go. Intel, not so much since it seems every new CPU brings a completely new chipset AND socket.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Can agree with everything save the CPU. I have a 4c/4t and talking with others, those that have extra threads aren't having as much of a time. Given that they are going Vulcan, more threads will be better since that API will utilize more threads in an optimized manner more so than DX12 and especially DX11 (which is the requirement for SQ42).
Ah, well, if you got 4c/8t at @3.4 GHz, I'm thinking you'll be just peachy. Really haven't tried 4c/4t, so I wouldn't know how that performs.

Also, given there are no loading screens I do think an SSD will be on the recommended list over an HDD given that the HDD has to find the info via physically spinning platters.
Well, there is at least one loading screen. If they're planning on running the game entirely without any noticeable loading screens, well, the recommended spec would be 5 x 3200 MB/s m.2 NVMes in raid0, and even then someone might notice the 1 second loading screen.
Hmm...
Now I kinda want to buy me some 3200 MB/s NVMes and run them on raid0.

But yeah, SSD will likely be recommended, just saying, an HDD won't really affect your FPS, just the time in the initial loading screen, which there will be.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
As far as upgrading, depends on which platform you go with. If you choose AMD you can go AMD side and be set til about 2020 as far as MB's go. Intel, not so much since it seems every new CPU brings a completely new chipset AND socket.
I love that I can count on my mates for insightful advice

and shitposting

the trick is knowing which is which

Toihva

Captain
Aug 13, 2017
RSI Handle
Dagnimaer
I love that I can count on my mates for insightful advice

and shitposting

the trick is knowing which is which
This is all honestly. AMD is planning on keeping with the AM4 socket until 2020 UNLESS I think its DDR5 and PCIe 5.0 or something, not 100% sure, from what I was told it is mainly to do with the Pincount/layout or something. Basically, AMD stated they will move to new socket when it is truly warranted and not because it's a new generation of CPU.

Reactions: Talonsbane

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
This is all honestly. AMD is planning on keeping with the AM4 socket until 2020 UNLESS I think its DDR5 and PCIe 5.0 or something, not 100% sure, from what I was told it is mainly to do with the Pincount/layout or something. Basically, AMD stated they will move to new socket when it is truly warranted and not because it's a new generation of CPU.
DDR5 is scheduled for 2020. Can't remember about PCIe 5.0, but I hope it comes together with DDR5. (Really, them releasing something like a year apart from each other would be kinda stupid, because most builders would just wait for the final piece anyways.)

Toihva

Captain
Aug 13, 2017
RSI Handle
Dagnimaer
DDR5 is scheduled for 2020. Can't remember about PCIe 5.0, but I hope it comes together with DDR5. (Really, them releasing something like a year apart from each other would be kinda stupid, because most builders would just wait for the final piece anyways.)
Well, I think the standards have been set out, but comes with manufacturing etc. But I do know what you mean.

Reactions: FZD

BluePilote

Space Marshal
Jun 25, 2017
RSI Handle
BluePilote
Ty for the info

Forgot your password?