Star Charts for Sale :)

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd

Hey everybody, I've been making some large format, fully sized 18"x24" and 24"x36" Star Charts for Star Citizen. I've been lucky enough to have the support of TEST all the way through and have been able to push into the #1 spot on Citizen Spotlight and was even blessed with the Staff Pick from DiscoLando himself ;)

That being said a ton of people are asking if they can buy my maps because who doesn't want a huge awesome realistic map of a star system from a game that they love? Some people want to have them to look at. Some people want a PDF collection. Some people want to tack them on the wall or frame them. Most people see these as a way to bring a piece of the games lore into reality. They want to unroll the map of a system they're in, use a pencil to mark down when and where they found a derelict ship, draw the location of a new jump point they discovered, keep track of where pirate's attacked them and where they were always free and clear to fly.

Well for anybody in Test that's interested in both helping me make more maps and/or owning some for themselves for whatever reason, I've made a Patreon. I was told that this has caused issues in the past and I'm not sure exactly what problems they are but Seung has been kind enough to let me post it here for the sake of getting these maps into the hands of gamers! Making these maps is not someting I slap together in 20 minutes, I use my years of map drafting to do careful comparisons to ARK's map, I triple check them and then give them to others for QA, I put a lot of time and love into these and long story short, if they take up too much of my time and I don't have something to show for it then my wife will kill me (or make me stop).

You can special request a map of a certain system and I'll put it on my list of maps to draw, eventually I'll have a complete collection of all the available solar systems in SC but those will need to be updated as more data is added and the game grows.

Before we get into the buying of said maps I want to point out that the PDF's of these maps are available here in the forums for whoever wants to download them. This is free. You can also take the PDF file to a large format printer near your house and have them printed there, this is cheaper than buying them from me. Buying a map from me comes with extra benefits, one of which is my eternal gratitude for showing love to what I've created and for helping me be able to make more.

If you want to buy an existing map PM me and we'll get it worked out, they are $25 for one or $20 each for more than one. That's only when shipping inside the US. I ship them inside poster tubes so they are compact, you can use the tubes they shipped in for storage if you don't have them up immediately. If you donate $25 on Patreon I'll make sure you get a signed map shipped to you every month! I hand sign these maps so you get that extra bit of swag compared to someone who prints it themselves. I prefer payments to be in the form of trades on RSI and want to avoid using Paypal, this allows me to turn the revenue back out into SC related things like packages that I can donate to friends and family, ships for giveaway on my favorite streamer's pages and generally anything else that I would want or need to do with the funds. **coughsecondarynottestpirateaccountcough**

So, without further adieu, my Patreon link is below. It may be crappy looking now but it will be filled out as I go along, I'm trying to find someone who knows about setting this up properly so I can get it up to par :)

https://www.patreon.com/KingNerd

Levi
KingNerd

NeoHelios_SC

Vice Admiral
Apr 18, 2015
RSI Handle
NeoHelios_SC
KingNerd said:
My name is Levi and I draw maps for a living
I would freaking LOVE this kind of job! I'm a boring IT guy, but I've always loved maps since I was a kid. I imagine this isn't exactly something that is easily outsourceable since you have to be local to the survey team (assumption). In your experience, would you say that "Survey Technician" would make a good fallback career for when / if my IT job gets sent overseas?

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
I'm an IT guy and survey technician WAS my fallback job! So yes, learn AutoCAD and get fast at drawing. People will snap you up.

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
I can add color to the maps but it actually isn't really simple because I'm doing my maps in Autocad. I'm going to play with it here and there on certain maps but I'll keep putting out black and white maps while I'm at it :)

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth

Hey everybody, I've been making some large format, fully sized 18"x24" and 24"x36" Star Charts for Star Citizen. I've been lucky enough to have the support of TEST all the way through and have been able to push into the #1 spot on Citizen Spotlight and was even blessed with the Staff Pick from DiscoLando himself ;)

That being said a ton of people are asking if they can buy my maps because who doesn't want a huge awesome realistic map of a star system from a game that they love? Some people want to have them to look at. Some people want a PDF collection. Some people want to tack them on the wall or frame them. Most people see these as a way to bring a piece of the games lore into reality. They want to unroll the map of a system they're in, use a pencil to mark down when and where they found a derelict ship, draw the location of a new jump point they discovered, keep track of where pirate's attacked them and where they were always free and clear to fly.

Well for anybody in Test that's interested in both helping me make more maps and/or owning some for themselves for whatever reason, I've made a Patreon. I was told that this has caused issues in the past and I'm not sure exactly what problems they are but Seung has been kind enough to let me post it here for the sake of getting these maps into the hands of gamers! Making these maps is not someting I slap together in 20 minutes, I use my years of map drafting to do careful comparisons to ARK's map, I triple check them and then give them to others for QA, I put a lot of time and love into these and long story short, if they take up too much of my time and I don't have something to show for it then my wife will kill me (or make me stop).

You can special request a map of a certain system and I'll put it on my list of maps to draw, eventually I'll have a complete collection of all the available solar systems in SC but those will need to be updated as more data is added and the game grows.

Before we get into the buying of said maps I want to point out that the PDF's of these maps are available here in the forums for whoever wants to download them. This is free. You can also take the PDF file to a large format printer near your house and have them printed there, this is cheaper than buying them from me. Buying a map from me comes with extra benefits, one of which is my eternal gratitude for showing love to what I've created and for helping me be able to make more.

If you want to buy an existing map PM me and we'll get it worked out, they are $25 for one or $20 each for more than one. That's only when shipping inside the US. I ship them inside poster tubes so they are compact, you can use the tubes they shipped in for storage if you don't have them up immediately. If you donate $25 on Patreon I'll make sure you get a signed map shipped to you every month! I hand sign these maps so you get that extra bit of swag compared to someone who prints it themselves. I prefer payments to be in the form of trades on RSI and want to avoid using Paypal, this allows me to turn the revenue back out into SC related things like packages that I can donate to friends and family, ships for giveaway on my favorite streamer's pages and generally anything else that I would want or need to do with the funds. **coughsecondarynottestpirateaccountcough**

So, without further adieu, my Patreon link is below. It may be crappy looking now but it will be filled out as I go along, I'm trying to find someone who knows about setting this up properly so I can get it up to par :)

https://www.patreon.com/KingNerd

Levi
KingNerd

hold on a second, are these accurate ?

Reactions: Schattenjagger

NeoHelios_SC

Vice Admiral
Apr 18, 2015
RSI Handle
NeoHelios_SC
I'm an IT guy and survey technician WAS my fallback job! So yes, learn AutoCAD and get fast at drawing. People will snap you up.
Sweet! AutoCAD always did appeal to me; I should give it another look. Speaking of speed, I was the fastest & most accurate in my class when it came to isometric drafting in high school & early college. We were pretty low tech, but mechanical drawing was tremendously fun; heck I might have gone all the way if I hadn't joined the military, but being young & taking much for granted, the thought of spending all those years behind a desk in college after twelve years of primary school didn't really sit well with me at the time. Those plastic triangles bring back fond memories, strangely enough. Even to this day, I STILL write in all-caps, ha ha. So much has changed, I'm sure, but thanks for the inspiration!

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
As an update I've added Pyro to the list, will have Bremen and possibly a second new one up this coming Friday :) I received official word back after asking 3 times and the consensus is that I haven't been told no but I also haven't been told yes. So with that being said I've decided that they have given me the "Go ahead and keep making these, sell some, if you get out of hand or someone complains too hard then we'll have to tell you to stop". So my patreon is still running and I'm still making maps, also, here's a link to my Etsy https://www.etsy.com/shop/StarscapesMapping and we'll see how long that lasts!

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
How's sales coming along ?
I'm tempted to buy the Pyro one, and maybe just frame it haha
Sales are going slow, I have some people that are awesome and supporting my patreon but I'm mostly taking all the money I'm making from that and just throwing it back into the maps by sending out maps for giveaways :)

If you want a map of Pyro I have an extra and they are shipping out Monday! Now's your chance ;) PM me

Forgot your password?