Star Citizen breaks $40M record in year-over-year funding

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
I agree with the core point of your video -- BUT--
CIG have spent more than $40Million PA in recent years, so they will have to either cut costs or get extra income.
What those figures do not show is any extra income, EG the new investors and partners.
One point that people seem to miss is that SQ42 if released on the new generation of consoles in 2020/21 ( which will be possible as they are just PC's in a smaller box) has the potential to generate hundreds of millions, I think that is why the new investors came on board.

IMHO, Our hopes of a long lasting PU is dependant on the success of SQ42 on PlayStation 5 and the next X box.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: Michael

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Any thoughts?
Rarely.

You are correct, the have had more expenses than income, which is why they only have $14M in reserves and not $20M in reserves.

They are paying very close attention to their burn rates here, and with current reserves they are comfortable at been able to produce the game with 500-550 employees and be able to draw $5M to make up the shortfall for the next three years. At that point SQ42 should be out and income will come from those sales.

Should SQ42 suck badly, then there is a problem. Thankfully we do not have to wait for a release date to figure that out because there will be plenty of beta testing and leaks to give us a good indication of how the game will play.

Chris also said he has other options, which is a vague answer, but the implication is bringing in additional private investment.

If one investor came in with $45M, its well within reason that he can get double that from VC's if he wanted.

Bottom line is that there is always a risk!

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
IMHO, Our hopes of a long lasting PU is dependant on the success of SQ42 on PlayStation 5 and the next X box.

Any thoughts?
I'm sorry but, you say what ??

You do understand SQ42 might be a single player "stand a lone game" but don't miss understand this as it is totally separated from the persistent universe ( PU ).
For SQ42 is very much part of the the persistent universe as of a way in as a automatic citizen.

Which if you chose not to play SQ42 before entering PU you will not be a automatic citizen, this is going to have consequence on your ability to interact with various NPC traders, factions etc...
And PU is and have always been a PC game only, there have been no official statement yet that suggest it be anything else.. (opinions and theory crafting does not make it so)

CHEERS! 🍻 👀

Fun fact: reddit is not the best place to get accurate fact about Star Citizen.

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
I'm sorry but, you say what ??
Mich I may have been too brief in my post. I was discussing finances only,
I was not discussing the relationship between SQ42 and the PU in terms of game play and use of assets ETC. Sorry for any confusion.

My thoughts are that if we want a PU that lasts for say 10 years, we need to bring in new players and therefore cash as most of us have already bought the PU and SQ42. That means that SQ42 (and maybe the PU) need to be released to console to bring in millions of new players. If we just keep the players that we have already then the opportunities for cash inflow are reduced, I do not want to be buying ships and game updates with real world cash for the next 10 years.

The PS5 will be a high end PC complete with SSD lots of RAM and an 8 core AMD chip . I think that CIG and the new investors intend to market SQ42 and maybe the PU to those millions of console users. And I think that will be a good thing.

Last edited:

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Mich, you always have the best memes & pic posts. The "skins" post still haunts my dreams. You, sir, are a GLORIOUS human being...
Oh!.... Naaaa... I'm just to stupid to know any better..... 🤪

But this have been a great inspiration to me.....

CHEERS! 🍻

(thank you)

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
OFF TOPIC, I was in Stockholm two weeks ago and visited the Vasa museum, it was one of the best museums I have been to.

I think the builders and crew were the original Testies.

For those who do not know this huge warship sank on her maiden voyage after less than a mile in 1628.

Last edited:

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Mich I may have been too brief in my post. I was discussing finances only,
I was not discussing the relationship between SQ42 and the PU in terms of game play and use of assets ETC. Sorry for any confusion.

My thoughts are that if we want a PU that lasts for say 10 years, we need to bring in new players and therefore cash as most of us have already bought the PU and SQ42. That means that SQ42 (and maybe the PU) need to be released to console to bring in millions of new players. If we just keep the players that we have already then the opportunities for cash inflow are reduced, I do not want to be buying ships and game updates with real world cash for the next 10 years.

The PS5 will be a high end PC complete with SSD lots of RAM and an 8 core AMD chip . I think that CIG and the new investors intend to market SQ42 and maybe the PU to those millions of console users. And I think that will be a good thing.
No worries ;) I got you and did get that part to. 😉 🍻

But don't see why PS5 etc.. would change and make it earn more, no one own it yet and there is no indication how many will buy that rather than a PC or Lap-Top either, so it's just a assumptions even if it is a good assumption it's is nothing more than that. And if the new PS5 etc.. is being a compact powerful enough PC in a box sold as "console" it is still just that a PC not a console any more and as such they should be ale to play it as such a PC game.

I have strong doubt they ever port it to a console as such as we know console to day, and if console manufacture make new one more like a compact powerful PC to make up for the fact that console never really came up close to the performance of a PC. That does then make new consoles nothing more than very compact PC's in reality even if sold as "console" and compact powerful PC we already got from Lap-tops that are more than capable to handle very demanding games. (yes those lap-tops are insane expensive I agreed.)

CHEERS! 🍻

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
OFF TOPIC, I was in Stockholm two weeks ago and visited the Vasa museum, it was one of the best museums I have been to.

I think the builders and crew were the original Testies.

For those who do not know this huge warship sank on her maiden voyage after less than a mile in 1628.
Yes isn't that one amazing accomplished they made by saving this ship and restoring it, I remember from my younger years it was still just started with the restoration of it and I been there several times seeing it as I grew up. Sadly I haven't been there for almost 20+ years due to life, guess it's time to take a trip soon and see how much it change from what I remember.
I live about 5-6 hours away from where it is, taking the freeway at my own leisure 4 hours 🤪

CHEERS! 🍻

Last edited:

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Okay the memes are much more fun! Will people continue to keep paying $40 million a year in at the current rate of shown progress (i.e. very little). I do hope squadron 42 is amazing and therefore it sells loads to new people but it also might be true that it has reached most potential backers already.

sanforce

Commander
Jun 3, 2019
RSI Handle
sanforce
At this point, there are "only" 2.3 million SC backers. Recent games like Red Dead Redemption 2 have sold well over 20 million copies in a relatively short amount of time.

I have numerous friends that are very interested in this game but won't spend money on a crowed funding and incomplete project. If the game comes out and it's good, then we've probably only scratched the surface of potential players.

Forgot your password?