Star citizen build coming together

Beef Squatch

Vice Admiral
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Beefsquatch
Okay I've finally got the funds together to build my SC compy. I have some funds but not enough to just go hog wild. I just need to hit the check out button but thought I'd run everything through here first. Here we go

Case: AzzA csaz-xt 1 w full atx tower.
MB : Asus crosshair v formula Z
Cpu : Amd fx 9590
Mem: 32gb kingston savage ddr3 1866
Gpu: 2 msi gtx 970s sli
Pwr: corsair cd series 750w

Anyone see any possible tweaks or hang ups in his set up?

Duvieilh

Ensign
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
EvasiveTractor
I would recommend holding off on building a PC just for Star Citizen. SC is going to be a lot more demanding than it is right now and the parts will probably be cheaper later on. What resolution do you play on? You should be fine if 1080p but if you want to play in 4k or record you'll probably need to upgrade to 980s or the next generation of the gtx cards which aren't out yet. Best of luck with your build, friend!

OldSchoolC

Commander
Donor
Mar 27, 2015
RSI Handle
OldSchoolC
I'm just hanging back with my I7 3770k and GTX 770 for now. I'm curious to see how it stands up to the oculus rift or htc vive. Odds are I'll be buying a new card after Star Citizen officially launches, so, next gen.

Your build looks good by the way. Not crazy expensive, decent value for the money. If its the best time to buy a PC really depends on what your current PC is and how long it can last!

Beef Squatch

Vice Admiral
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Beefsquatch
Unfortunately I can't wait, I have a toshiba Qosmio gaming laptop, which has the power, however the thermals don't allow you to go full settings without overheating. I can get about 30 minutes of war thunder before it alarms. That includes cooling mat.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
SLI 970s will power a single 4k monitor or any VR device no sweat on high settings, those things are beasts for price point, even with the 3.5 GB problem.

I would recommend waiting another few weeks/months and seeing what Radeon is going to bust out with the R9 300 series. 390x is rumored to just blow anything Nvidias got right now short of a Titan out of the water.

Overall a very solid build, going to be running anything you throw at it for a few years to come. My PC still has a 660ti from a few years ago, and that thing still chugs along at 60FPS High on anything except Star Citizen.

Beef Squatch

Vice Admiral
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Beefsquatch
SLI 970s will power a single 4k monitor or any VR device no sweat on high settings, those things are beasts for price point, even with the 3.5 GB problem.

I would recommend waiting another few weeks/months and seeing what Radeon is going to bust out with the R9 300 series. 390x is rumored to just blow anything Nvidias got right now short of a Titan out of the water.

Overall a very solid build, going to be running anything you throw at it for a few years to come. My PC still has a 660ti from a few years ago, and that thing still chugs along at 60FPS High on anything except Star Citizen.
I had a really horrible experience with radeons afew years back. It wasn't even the hardware, it was terrible drivers. I've sworn by nvidia ever since.

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
Poor PSU for the price. Not great quality.

Why go AMD 9xxx. They run as hot as the sun.

I would avoid the 970 right now. Memory issues as well as some SLI issues we've seen benching. 980s are fine if you want NVIDIA.

Do you need 32gb of ram? That's quie a bit unless you want to stream. 16 should be enough. If you want 32 you need a strong IMC on your CPU to run it all.

If you went AMD 9xxx you would need a proper cooler to keep that beast cool. That's an added expense there.

The case is meh. It's up to you. Right now the cases I love are phantecs cases or corsair has some nice ones here and there.

I would honestly say to grab a 4790k, a decent z97 mobo (can help later), a single 980/wait for AMD new card. A solid 650 psu for single card or 750 for SLI/CF. the i7 stock cooler is enough.

My build out would run about the same as the AMD building you live near a microcenter and be faster CPU, slightly less on the GPU but avoid all the 970 issues there are right now. If AMD drops the new card soon, it would tie the 2x 970 for the price.

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
I agree with RussianJ.

Also, another reason to go with one 980 over two 970s is that when it comes time to upgrade, you can just add another 980 instead of ditching both 970s, and at that point there will probably be much better sli support.

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
RussianJ is right about the CPU, I have one. It hasn't overheated yet, but I have a Corsair H100i on it, and it has been known to drown out those annoying sounds coming out of the speakers.

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
RussianJ is right about the CPU, I have one. It hasn't overheated yet, but I have a Corsair H100i on it, and it has been known to drown out those annoying sounds coming out of the speakers.
Was it you I told to stay clear of that CPU originally? I know I told someone here to go intel and they bought it anyways.

Forgot your password?