Star Citizen hits $700M in funding

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I agree. It seems to me that the overhead is staggering in the game development sector. So numbers aren't as big as they seem. The one that stuck out to me was that Insomniac games sold to Sony for $229m, but Spiderman 2 took $300m to make. So the whole studio was valued at less than a single game's development. The $2b development cost for GTA6 that you mentioned is also another great example.

Honestly, I hope it takes even more money. I hope they never need to triage or compromise the potential of this game. It looks like I'm not alone either, if the consistently rising income numbers are any indication. Let the complainers complain. They will be there even if the game releases and comes out perfect. Let the vocal minority keep yelling while the silent majority continues to pump money into the dream.

At the end of the day, the game is easy to see now. You've always been able to see the trees, but now the forest is much easier to gauge. How many games over the last decade have released with far less than what is available right now in SC?

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
CitizenDad
I already shared/posted this vid to a few bigger groups and the feedback is already SOOOOOO much better than it was a year or two ago.

IDK if it's due to shroud, summit or whatever, birks, whoever the hell these new kids are that are playing, streaming Star Citizen but it's funny how much more positive the feedback is on this shit. My cryptobros are all like "how exactly do I get in on this", and I am just like uhhhhhI honestly don't think there is much money to be made off this game unless you sell video cards, joysticks, or are CIG LOL.

There is no way we can hit 800MM by this time next year right? Or what is the current "trend" sayin? I really have not paid too much attention to the funding part.

I hope next patch, update things play a lot better because it's been really rough trying to get homies to hop on and actually play with because of all the bugs and shit. $700MM and the slower updates and overall jankyness of 3.23 are killing that for us. $700MM and I can't even play on some of our non 4090 12GB 3090, 4080 big res rigs without vrammemory leak taking us down to 2-3 fps slideshow is super annoying. Can't believe funding and accounts are up so high even with all the jankyness LOL. Great problem for the community to have tho.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
My theory is that the ... delay ... with SQ42 especially ... is a 'legacy issue' with Chris Roberts. Chris was successful early on in his gaming career with Wing Commander. He's seen one of his mentors, Richard Garriott, go on to be less than successful with new launches. So is Chris -- supported by extreme funding -- taking his good old time making sure that SQ42 and Star Citizen is ... done better than 'right'? I mean at the funding levels they have, these games should prove to be awesome, right? What a challenge for developers with that kind of cash. It will be key what we see what SQ42 features they roll into Star Citizen -- What currently not revealed features do they plan to migrate into Star Citizen? (i.e., NPC crew?). Inquiring backers' minds want to know :-)

Last edited:

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Personally, I've been finding it hard to believe that CIG has continued to increase their annual income year after year like they have for all this time & won't be surprised nor take it as a bad sign if they have years that fail to out perform gaining income compared to the year before, because globally speaking, the economy has been going through some rough times. As long as CIG has the funds coming in to cover costs & hopefully a bit more, I'm happy as I know that progress will continue to thrive. Especially now that they've got the starts of the biggest things that have been holding the project back for most of this time.

• o7
Reactions: Garonman

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Not to shadow Montoya's video on the new found record of SC, but Luke have also made a very good video on the subject:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wef_x6bDbCw

I think of all the youtubers and streamers he got the point on why CIG is able to pull of something like SC: is not a game, is an hobby.
He mentions people possibly making fun of him for having expensive legos sets, I'd mostly jokingly ask how many of those legos he's accidentally found with his bare feet, because I know that is something that would happen to me a LOT if I happened to have a lot of legos around my home. Which I'd call fair.

• o7
Reactions: Garonman

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Guess my friends to the north love their tanned and oiled demigod. Make sure you use protection. I hear he's been around the stable a few times. Us Yanks are a filthy lot. Hercules...Hercules...Hercules!!!

kevin sorbo, kevin, hercules kevin sorbo
Across the cosmos as well, according to his classic SciFi show Andromeda.

Reactions: NomadicHavoc

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
@NomadicHavoc
Andromeda, from what I remember, was a very cool concept from Gene Roddenberry's notes. His initial vision of it was for it to take place in the Star Trek universe, but thousands of years later (races and groups like the Klingons, Vulcans, Ferengi, Borg, etc. had all long since integrated, new races were discovered, governments had risen and fallen, new forms of space travel had to be developed due to Warp travel no longer working, all that fun stuff.) The downsides were it lacked Gene Roddenberry (it started production years after his death) and there were disputes at the executive production level as to what type of show it actually should be leading to an overhaul of the flow of the series at the end of season two going into season three, so storylines that were developed through the first two seasons were abandoned and it started feeling like a completely different show that just happened to have some of the same main characters. I really enjoyed the first two seasons, but lost interest during Season Three and any attempts I made to pick it back up again failed as I just didn't enjoy it anymore.

Forgot your password?