Star citizen resolution trouble

Duckforceone

Captain
Feb 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Duckforceone
So i have been having these troubles since i decided to install star citizen to try out the current iteration.

my troubles are these.

no matter what resolution i set it to run at, it seems to run at around 1024 x 768 or so...

a video here shows my troubles.

besides that, if i run on a different monitor, it tends to look like this (monitor 1680 x 1050)

it seems to run part of the game outside monitor.

UI get's squashed (notice how the ship text it out of screen)

Loading screen

Key bindings text are almost unreadable

my setup :
Windows 10
i7 6700K
Asus z170 pro gaming
32 gb ram
GTX 970 asus strix oc
gtx 660

Install game
Reinstall game
Verify game files
Change game.cfg
change user.cfg
running on different monitors (got 4 different ones)
Running on either graphics cards
Tried all the output ports on the graphics cards (DVI-D, DVI-I and HDMI)
tried different cables
unplugged all but 1 monitor (tried 4 different monitors)
checked DPI scaling settings
Tried all nvidia panel 3d settings
Tried downscaling higher resolutions
Set compatilbility mode on exe files
Set no dpi scaling on exe files
set run as admin on exe files
did a full reinstall of graphics drivers by cleaning out in safe mode

All other games run fine, just star citizen that runs like this.

Things i haven't done :
Reinstalled windows 10
Installed windows 7
Taken both graphics cards out and just using the 660.

anyone have any other solutions besides this?
official forums haven't been any help, neither have reddit.

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
update your graphics card or do not use 361.XX
could be other things. Like delete your user folder.
Run the game as admin.. re-run the install for all visual basic vcrests found inside game folder.
Check your own desktop settings in personalise there is something that makes the fonts and programs run at higher resolutions but look bigger (unless you think you reset scaling to 100%). This screws around with games when a machine is not fully updated. Could also be windows 10 deleted something and has not re-installed it, and its just a matter of time before its fixed on a reboot.
Create a ticket with CIG
create a bug report with them too. Same as your showing us.
Upi also have a 970 which has no more legacy support past drivers 344.xx (18 months ago)
so, most of the connection types your using are invalid, though i think nVidia is trying to support them, they are loosely effective, but not working for everyone.. this includes VGA, HDMI 1.4 and less and DVI iterations, RGB connections and coaxial or S port connections.

an eDP connection is all that is supported now, either HDMI 1.4b or DP 1.2+

the earlier versions of those might have small issues but not many people get them.

I mean, you can google the 15 million people having DVI issues in the last year.

I keep telling people I'm impressed it hasn't surfaced as public knowledge because larger corps refuse to comment on it for fear of backlashing for what they did unexpectedly.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrudeSasquatch

Duckforceone

Captain
Feb 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Duckforceone
update your graphics card or do not use 361.XX
could be other things. Like delete your user folder.
Run the game as admin.. re-run the install for all visual basic vcrests found inside game folder.
Check your own desktop settings in personalise there is something that makes the fonts and programs run at higher resolutions but look bigger. This screws around with games when a machine is not fully updated. Could also be windows 10 deleted something and has not re-installed it, and its just a matter of time before its fixed on a reboot.
already tried all of those unfortunately... :(
but thanks.. :D

Reactions: CrudeSasquatch

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
I'm not surprised no one has been much help. You've definitely covered a lot of bases troubleshooting on your own.

Does running the game in windowed mode change anything? If it displays in the correct resolution while windowed, what happens when you change your desktop res?

You say "Taken both graphics cards out and just using the 660." Are you running 2 970s in sli and have a 660 as a backup card? I would definitely try running the game on a single GPU and test each card to see if you have any trouble with a specific one or if the problem is only present when running cards in tandem.

Did you have the most recent SC build installed and working? If the last version worked then it's a compatibility issue with the client and your drivers in which case there's not much you can do other than open a ticket and report the bug.

You could try and install previous versions of your nvidia drivers to see if that makes a difference as well.

Reactions: Duckforceone

Duckforceone

Captain
Feb 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Duckforceone
I'm not surprised no one has been much help. You've definitely covered a lot of bases troubleshooting on your own.

Does running the game in windowed mode change anything? If it displays in the correct resolution while windowed, what happens when you change your desktop res?

You say "Taken both graphics cards out and just using the 660." Are you running 2 970s in sli and have a 660 as a backup card? I would definitely try running the game on a single GPU and test each card to see if you have any trouble with a specific one or if the problem is only present when running cards in tandem.

Did you have the most recent SC build installed and working? If the last version worked then it's a compatibility issue with the client and your drivers in which case there's not much you can do other than open a ticket and report the bug.

You could try and install previous versions of your nvidia drivers to see if that makes a difference as well.
yeah windowed mode changes nothing.
also tried running it windowed forced borderless

i mean taking out my 970 and using just my 660 as my main card

i have no older SC clients to test because i haven't installed the game for over a years before last week.

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
Hmm, yeah, try with just the 660 plugged in (and if you've had both cards in simultaneously I'd try with only the 970 plugged in as well). It might not hurt to do a clean install of the drivers for just the card that you're testing too. It's possible it's something crazy because of the two cards.

I'm running a single 970, but have a 660ti that isn't installed right now. When I get home I'll plug it in and see what happens.

Duckforceone

Captain
Feb 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Duckforceone
yeah i'll try that. And good idea to try uninstalling drivers through each card...

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
I didn't have any trouble with my 970, but I've been fighting a disk utilization bug in Windows 10 that's making my system unusable so I wasn't able to get the 660 installed. I'll have to revert to Windows 7 this weekend and once that's done I'll be able to try the other card. Assuming you haven't found a fix on your own by then.

Duckforceone

Captain
Feb 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Duckforceone
ok that is me out of solutions

I have now re-installed windows 10 twice, with different graphics cards, and different monitors, and different install options and orders.

i thought i finally had it, as one of my monitors were showing 59hz instead of 60 as the rest of them, but the problem persisted even on monitors that showed 60.
Even tried one of them that could go to 75hz, no dice.

i have tried making custom resolution settings, and all the rest i have described. I think i have roughly 24 hours spent trying out all sorts of settings and solutions.

i seriously give up.

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
ok that is me out of solutions

I have now re-installed windows 10 twice, with different graphics cards, and different monitors, and different install options and orders.

i thought i finally had it, as one of my monitors were showing 59hz instead of 60 as the rest of them, but the problem persisted even on monitors that showed 60.
Even tried one of them that could go to 75hz, no dice.

i have tried making custom resolution settings, and all the rest i have described. I think i have roughly 24 hours spent trying out all sorts of settings and solutions.

i seriously give up.
Man that really sucks. Unfortunately, I was not able to fix my disk utilization issue in Win10 so I was forced to revert to 7. On 7 with the same GPU's as you, I have had no trouble. It's impossible for us to know what the problem really is and you've definitely gone above and beyond what most people would do, so the only thing I would recommend at this point is submitting a bug report and include as much info as you can regarding system specs and driver versions.

Duckforceone

Captain
Feb 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Duckforceone
hehe yeah i'm about ready to throw something out my window...

thankfully there's only a short time until i can get my rocks off on the division...

well i do have 2 things left i can do.

install windows 7, or try my old motherboard.

Eliyahu

Space Marshal
Feb 3, 2015
RSI Handle
Eliyahu2
I know you reinstalled the game, but did you also manually delete all of the files and folders plus a restart before the new download? That might sound basic, but hunting down all files and folders and manually removing them has fixed a few games for me other the years.

It is seems to be a compatibility issue with the specific game. Not a hardware one.

Forgot your password?