Star Wars: Vader Immortal - VR game

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
It has been very long time since some new technology captured my attention like this Oculus Quest.

The last time was when I moved from my Razor flip phone to the iPhone 3.

Holding the iPhone 3 in your hand, looking at the screen with no physical number pad, you knew you were looking at the future.

I bought the latest Star Wars game for the Oculus Quest for $10.

I did not expect this type of immersive game play in a cheap game.

You start off in your ship and if you have a big room set up as your space, you can literally walk around in your ship! I really hope this is where Star Citizen will end up going! Imagine walking through the Idris! You would need to go to your local soccer field and look like an idiot running around with VR headset on, but it will be awesome!

If you are a Star Wars fan, I highly recommend you find a friend that owns a Quest and go play it. I have been waiting since the 80's to get my hands on a light saber and swing it around in the Star Wars universe!

The game was relatively short, this is just Ep 1 of 3, but if this is where gaming is going, you should be excited!

If you can drop $400 on a Quest, I say go for it. The only reason I would recommend to avoid the Quest is that this is the first generation of this standalone VR platform.

Like the iPhone 3, superior models came out in the years after. If you can wait it out, you will be able to get the next generation model (no timeline for that), it will blow you away!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Like the iPhone 3, superior models came out in the years after. If you can wait it out, you will be able to get the next generation model (no timeline for that), it will blow you away!
I'm imagining my 5 years ago self, running around a soccer field with one of those headsets... I was well over 120 pounds overweight. That would have been something to see. This might have made that process a lot more enjoyable, even if it did raise a few eyebrows around the neighborhood.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Thank's for the update on the quest.
I been looking in to the Quest a lot since your video and last post, and dang it's moved up very high on my to get list.

My thoughts have been intrigued, thus thinking like you so adequate put it.
This is a first gen and a next gen might not be far off and better.
So I set my sight on next gen and or what ever other version that might bump it up even another notch.

Thinking VR have just made a leap forward in the right direction.
This is starting to be really interesting but only if compatibility toward exiting game that support VR etc.. is a thing.

CHEERS! 🍻

Side note: I saw a review and test of the Quest they had tried to use a open field and in pure daylight it do not work at all.
Tho in very heavy overcast it kind of worked out side, it need light for area marking and such but not very bright light it seem.
But used in a gymnastic hall it seem to be a thing to run around in a game ha ha ha...

Last edited:

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
Haha, this is why I recommend that everyone at least try it out. My local Best Buy, for instance, runs a demo Rift unit. A couple other stores offer the same.

The problem is, nobody understands until they actually step into VR. Our gaming market has been saturated by overhyped trash and false promises for far too long. Add that to the sheer amount of failed VR attempts in the last couple decades, and it leaves potential buyers to naturally adopt doubts. "How could it be that good?" "There's no way it could be that immersive." "I've seen the videos and it doesn't look that special."

You just won't understand until you put on the headset and step into the world for the first time. It all becomes clear in that moment. Out the dozen or so friends and acquaintences that have tried VR at my house, all but one now have VR in their homes. The one that doesn't have it, has been scrimping and saving for over a year and a half to get it (and he's about to buy in because he finally has the cash).

I don't think I have ever seen a tech product so begrudgingly accepted by the masses. It seems like everyone fights it until they finally give in and try it. Then, it becomes an almost necessary life addition. It's happening though. Slowly but surely people are giving in and buying headsets. It's only a matter of time before the population becomes large enough for the AAA market to feel comfortable enough to adopt it into mainstream software development. It is almost there.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
So since I have a TPCast on my Rift, I decided to look back into the 2.0 version (TPCast plus/air). I ran across this article that honestly could change the game for all Quest buyers.

Streaming games has been a thing for a while, but it never really found a foothold. Not yet at least. This little device though could change that. If I'm reading this correctly, they are looking to turn a Quest into a full featured wireless VR headset. We live in science fiction.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
It has been very long time since some new technology captured my attention like this Oculus Quest.

The last time was when I moved from my Razor flip phone to the iPhone 3.

Holding the iPhone 3 in your hand, looking at the screen with no physical number pad, you knew you were looking at the future.

I bought the latest Star Wars game for the Oculus Quest for $10.

I did not expect this type of immersive game play in a cheap game.

You start off in your ship and if you have a big room set up as your space, you can literally walk around in your ship! I really hope this is where Star Citizen will end up going! Imagine walking through the Idris! You would need to go to your local soccer field and look like an idiot running around with VR headset on, but it will be awesome!

If you are a Star Wars fan, I highly recommend you find a friend that owns a Quest and go play it. I have been waiting since the 80's to get my hands on a light saber and swing it around in the Star Wars universe!

The game was relatively short, this is just Ep 1 of 3, but if this is where gaming is going, you should be excited!

If you can drop $400 on a Quest, I say go for it. The only reason I would recommend to avoid the Quest is that this is the first generation of this standalone VR platform.

Hey found this and this look to be a great addition when using the quest :D I'm hooked ha ha ha... saving up, now it's gonna happen. :P

And the HOW TO get it working streaming from PC to the Quest.

Last edited:

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I have not set up any SteamVR yet, but being able to play Elite Dangerous on my Quest? NICE!

My problem is my wifi needs an upgrade. My 5G signal is not strong enough in my office.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
I have not set up any SteamVR yet, but being able to play Elite Dangerous on my Quest? NICE!

My problem is my wifi needs an upgrade. My 5G signal is not strong enough in my office.
Happy me, I got my modem resting on top of the computer my 5G wireless can't get closer to me, now all that's missing is the Quest ha ha ha... 🤪

But a good compliment antenna should boost the signal, if you can't get modem closer.

CHEERS! 🍻

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

Vulgor

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Vulgor
I also purchased the Quest over the weekend and enjoyed Vader Immortal immensely! This is my first foray into VR and I am not disappointed. The only question I have is when does chapter 2 come out?

On a side note, Ultrawings is an arcade style flight simulator for $14.99 on the Quest. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in flying, even though it has simple graphics. Lots of fun!

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I also purchased the Quest over the weekend and enjoyed Vader Immortal immensely! This is my first foray into VR and I am not disappointed. The only question I have is when does chapter 2 come out?

On a side note, Ultrawings is an arcade style flight simulator for $14.99 on the Quest. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in flying, even though it has simple graphics. Lots of fun!
Awesome!

Im working through Apex Construct right now and really enjoying the experience.

Its so hard to describe VR to those that have not tried it, and showing it in a youtube video does nothing for the feel of being in the actual game.

I think we will start seeing a lot more excitement build for the Quest in the coming months. Many potential buyers are simply waiting to see what the reviews are like.

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
While I am sure it will happen later, I would recommend Beat Saber on mods alone that us lucky other VR headset users get. A music rhythm game is great excersise!

Reactions: Mich Angel
Forgot your password?