Starfarer shadyness

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
So now I hear a rumor that the Starfarer will have ANOTHER $100 jump in price when it becomes flight ready (Totaling $400). I understand the first price bump to match the final size of the ship, but that big of a price leap for flight ready?? This is starting to smell a bit like greed. Hype train is in full choo-choo so they are trying to cash in on impulsive buyers. Watch how hard you push, CIG. You will start to see wallets snapping closed more and more. Please try to remember that you are selling pixels for $300, and there are limits to what most will put up with.

Source: (https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4bxrzt/starfarers_going_up_another_100_when_flight_ready/)

[Somebody please tell me that these redditors were mistaken!]

My $0.02

Xian-Luc Picard

Space Marshal
Jan 9, 2016
RSI Handle
Xian-Luc_Picard
So now I hear a rumor that the Starfarer will have ANOTHER $100 jump in price when it becomes flight ready (Totaling $400). I understand the first price bump to match the final size of the ship, but that big of a price leap for flight ready?? This is starting to smell a bit like greed. Hype train is in full choo-choo so they are trying to cash in on impulsive buyers. Watch how hard you push, CIG. You will start to see wallets snapping closed more and more. Please try to remember that you are selling pixels for $300, and there are limits to what most will put up with.

Source: (https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4bxrzt/starfarers_going_up_another_100_when_flight_ready/)

[Somebody please tell me that these redditors were mistaken!]

My $0.02
I agree completely... As I said in another post, it is a real kick in the nuts. The second increase doesn't seem justified and I fear for the price increases on the other big ships as the become ready. This went from a ship that was on the expensive side with moderate return in-game to a ship that most can no longer afford and doesn't really make sense to own unless you are Scrooge McDuck and just need to unload some of the gold coins you have stashed in your money vault.

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
The price will increase by $100 when 2.3 goes Live (within a week). The price may increase when it is flyable but that is not confirmed.
The price increase is due to the fact the the Starfarer is now 2 1/2 times larger then when it was in Concept.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
The price will increase by $100 when 2.3 goes Live (within a week). The price may increase when it is flyable but that is not confirmed.
The price increase is due to the fact the the Starfarer is now 2 1/2 times larger then when it was in Concept.
I get that. That was the original price increase to $300. I am totally fine with that and that makes perfect sense. So what would be their justification for increasing it ANOTHER hundred, just because its flight ready? I know they wouldn't add $100 worth of extras in the damn thing between hangar and flight. So what, pray tell, is the ADDED value between those two points?

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Better add a Snub if they're charging that much!
Yeah I could understand the bump if i got a parasitic Cutlass to go with my flying bomb. I don't even want to THINK about how they will jerk us around with the Carrack when it gets further down the pipe....

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
That's not cool. If they wanted to increase the price to $400, they should have just done that at the start. Now this forces a sense of urgency on anyone who was on the fence, while putting it even further out of reach of those who wanted it.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Yeah I could understand the bump if i got a parasitic Cutlass to go with my flying bomb. I don't even want to THINK about how they will jerk us around with the Carrack when it gets further down the pipe....
I'm WAY ahead of you on that one. Securing my Carrack now.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
I'm WAY ahead of you on that one. Securing my Carrack now.
Lucky Bastard! I wanted to get one, but if things keep going the way they're going; The massive rectal reconstruction surgery that will be required after getting wallet-raped by CIG to get one wont be covered on my medical insurance. THANKS OBAMA!

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
That's not cool. If they wanted to increase the price to $400, they should have just done that at the start. Now this forces a sense of urgency on anyone who was on the fence, while putting it even further out of reach of those who wanted it.
Yeah, it's creating a flurry on a certain market. Even I'm having trouble finding things and my Google-fu is bar none!

Reactions: Blind Owl

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
Reclaimers, Carracks, BMM will all go up in price by the time they work on them for sure. The Reclaimer is a VERY LARGE CAPITAL with 5 x more guns and power than an Idris, has the same Marauder jump drive and more shields and power plants then an IDRIS. It's also like nearly 200M WIDE. They haven't even begun to talk about it.

However, i think the Orion will not go up as much, but will definitely have multiple stages of progression price wise, since they will want many more people to own one.

So, thus I suspect the reason for price increasing is not to get more money - but to artificially increase it's value/inflation so more people jump on the starfarer and do not let go. I believe CIG NEEDS a lot of people to own it. As people have the tendency to keep going bigger and melting older packages like the starfarer, I think this was an attempt to get people to go back and reclaim the starfarer to have the same numbers they originally planned for.

I reason this because they didn't give us headsup, so they didn't cause more sales, but they did increase the demand and left the supply the same.,

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Reclaimers, Carracks, BMM will all go up in price by the time they work on them for sure. The Reclaimer is a VERY LARGE CAPITAL with 5 x more guns and power than an Idris, has the same Marauder jump drive and more shields and power plants then an IDRIS. It's also like nearly 200M WIDE. They haven't even begun to talk about it.

However, i think the Orion will not go up as much, but will definitely have multiple stages of progression price wise, since they will want many more people to own one.

So, thus I suspect the reason for price increasing is not to get more money - but to artificially increase it's value/inflation so more people jump on the starfarer and do not let go. I believe CIG NEEDS a lot of people to own it. As people have the tendency to keep going bigger and melting older packages like the starfarer, I think this was an attempt to get people to go back and reclaim the starfarer to have the same numbers they originally planned for.

I reason this because they didn't give us headsup, so they didn't cause more sales, but they did increase the demand and left the supply the same.,
Great assessment. My three big ships will be Reclaimer, Carrack, and Starfarer. I'm happy I got them all at their base price, I don't wanna know what the Reclaimer will jump to!

Although the Carrack may not jump as much as you'd think. They will want a lot of people with Explorer ships as that's the main draw of the game for most. Although I could be wrong and they want people buying up DURs and Connies. It'll be interesting to see.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Official heads up? No, but they would have to be dense to not understand that every single thing they utter on their updates is going to be analyzed in a thousand different angles. A Jim Halpert-y gaze at the camera is all it takes to set the rumor mill on fire. They know full well what their marketing approach is, and I'm not convinced those little hints aren't designed to push sales. I have seen too many hero-Devs turn to evil in the past....I'm just hoping CIG doesn't go all Harvey Dent on us. I guess the coin is still in the air on this one. Let's see how they react to the outrage (which is plentiful on reddit at the moment)

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
In response to the thread title: The Starfarer would make a good shade place because it is so big. Put it down near a beach with the sun on the other side and enjoy the luxury of shade.

For serious, Ben confirmed the Gemini will rise 100 bucks too. I wonder what my Orion will finally end up being? Or my Reclaimer? Probably 2x as much as I paid for them.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Glad I have all those $250 and $350 CCUs in my hanger. And a Gemini now.

Still kicking myself about the Caterpillar. Damn I want one, lol.

Bigcracker

Space Marshal
Feb 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Bigcracker8789
Before I begin, I can not wait until the PU comes out and say "HAHAHA I stole your $400 ship from you"

The pricing of ships has really been bothering me lately. The blade was $250 for what? A Vanduul Gladius? Now the price hike of the Starfarer. I understand the ship got bigger than what is was supposed to be and understand that early backers always get things at a discount and that prices may change.But they should leave it at $300 forever and not change prices just because a ship is flyable or not.

Whaleman

Commander
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
whaleman
So, to make a completely logical argument here, the real money "price" of ships, i.e. the amount of money you have to back the game for to get a certain ship as a thank you is completely off the scale of what ships will have to cost in the end. Ship prices should increase exponentially with size, not increase in size exponentially by cost, that's just a pure basic for progression and balance.

Don't believe me? Look at it this way, in a normal RPG (as well as in real life usually) the time you have to put in to increase in level goes up with each level so that it feels like more and more of an accomplishment. Now compare this with the current state of SC ship prices:

Let's just make a really crude example where cargo capacity is a direct measurement of how much money a ship can earn you and let's put the base at an Aurora MR "worth" $20, Cargo Capacity 13. Say it takes you 1 standard unit of time to gain enough to upgrade to a Freelancer at 5.5 times the price and 4 times the cargo capacity. Just taking the next step from there you would gain 22 times the cost of an Aurora MR in the next standard unit of time, or 4 times the Freelancer. Now we're past a Starfarer even with the new cost, we can almost buy 2. But say we get one and use it purely for cargo hauling, it has over 255 times the cargo capacity of an Aurora MR, so you'd be able to buy two javelins with margin after one standard time unit with that. It just wouldn't work, even with increased upkeep for the ships and everything they are way too cheap relatively each other now and that price is not meant to represent the final price in game, it just can't be. And please make note here that I use cargo as an example and am not even touching the pure cargo ships, because the scale would be even worse then.

The low price now is a huge thank you to people who believe in CIG and back the game early and it will give us a huuuuuge head start once the game goes live.

Once ships actually gets done and able to fly they HAVE to increase the price of the larger one, otherwise the game balance will be broken beyond reapair. Once in game, the starfarer can't even be on the same scale price wise as auroras.

Also, it's a lot about starting balance, they have to keep the big tankers relatively rare as to not oversaturate the market.... if a ship becomes too common they HAVE to increase the price or not sell it at all again... and I think the price hike is the one that leads to the least complaints.

Remember, you're backing development, not buying the ships. The ships you get is a thank you and the value of them increase exponentially with how much you back at the moment, this is not how the final economy is supposed to work but is a token of appreciation. Unfortunately there's a limit of the appreciation they can show if they ever want the game to be balanced. It's not because they don't love us, it's because we showed them more love than they can handle.

Forgot your password?