Starfield - Discussion Thread

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
@Shadow Reaper, as @Lorddarthvik points out, there are serious flaws with this 'guide'.
First of all, they clearly used quite a few console commands to be able to do that, well if the goal is to get L100 then why not just use console commands to get that as well?
Second of all, the whole 'travel to the exact location Maka highlights in the video' exposes the lack of understanding of the game by both the author of the article and the person doing the video (resources on planets are not static, they are procedurally generated, so not the same between 'New Games' and players.)

As for a 'reason' to get to L100, the only one I can think of is ship building. All other equipment in-game seems to get unlocked by around L40, but ship components have hidden level restrictions going all the way up to L90+ (there are some really cool ship components you can unlock, but they require either certain skill levels, certain levels, both, or certain quests.)

As for gaining xp, exploring actually gets a LOT of xp, going to a new system (to you on that run), scanning all the planets in the system from space, going down to each of the planets and moons to scan everything, etc., nets a LOT of XP, many systems will net more than enough xp for a single level even at L50+ (even more xp for higher level systems), and considering how many systems there are you can get quite a lot of levels through just exploring.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I've just noticed that after a hard days work I get home and I do not think to myself ooooo lets fire up the PC and play starfield.

That's all the review needed I suppose.

Your mileage may vary.

I did play it for a couple of hours last night and my god in ship combat with those ladders almost made me turn it off.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
I've just noticed that after a hard days work I get home and I do not think to myself ooooo lets fire up the PC and play starfield.

That's all the review needed I suppose.

Your mileage may vary.

I did play it for a couple of hours last night and my god in ship combat with those ladders almost made me turn it off.
Why use ladders when you have a Boost Pack?

Reactions: Bambooza

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
@Shadow Reaper, as @Lorddarthvik points out, there are serious flaws with this 'guide'.
First of all, they clearly used quite a few console commands to be able to do that, well if the goal is to get L100 then why not just use console commands to get that as well?
Second of all, the whole 'travel to the exact location Maka highlights in the video' exposes the lack of understanding of the game by both the author of the article and the person doing the video (resources on planets are not static, they are procedurally generated, so not the same between 'New Games' and players.)

As for a 'reason' to get to L100, the only one I can think of is ship building. All other equipment in-game seems to get unlocked by around L40, but ship components have hidden level restrictions going all the way up to L90+ (there are some really cool ship components you can unlock, but they require either certain skill levels, certain levels, both, or certain quests.)

As for gaining xp, exploring actually gets a LOT of xp, going to a new system (to you on that run), scanning all the planets in the system from space, going down to each of the planets and moons to scan everything, etc., nets a LOT of XP, many systems will net more than enough xp for a single level even at L50+ (even more xp for higher level systems), and considering how many systems there are you can get quite a lot of levels through just exploring.
Oh I didn't know there were ship components locked behind levels still. It would have been nice if something mentioned that somewhere because I see basically no incentive, apart from getting some skills to unlock crafting customizations, once you are past lvl 30 ish. I'm only 30somthing and have seen all the armor and weapons by this point, at least it feels like it.

The exploration aspect, of having to constantly scan when you go somewhere is weak and annoying. I keep forgetting it even exists. The surface exporations is a tad better with having to scan (and probably kill) stuff. Fully exploring a planet does net you a survey data slate which you can sell to the right person for decent money. Also I keep forgetting that you can take randomly generated survey and other missions from mission terminals. There's already so many of these quests around just while you walk around the cities, it's kinda hard to find a reason to take those missions over the handcrafted ones.

Yesterday I tried to build an A class (no skill unlocks required) hauler home ship (not just a girder with boxes and engines attached but a proper ship) with 2500ish cargo space. It is possible, but even if you re-use some components from the Frontier (the free starter), you will still need around 60-70K credits, which is quiet a sum when you're just starting out, and the best I could manage for Mobility stat on the ships was 1. ONE. I doubt it could move, at all.
I didn't have the cash for better engines, or shields or reactor... If you can get up to a 100K+ credits it's much easier, you can throw a lot more engine at it and make it almost viable. It will be a flying brick (or soap bar in my case) but probably survivable, fit for the many exploits using such a high capacity ships.

Why use ladders when you have a Boost Pack?
Cos some ships are built with 3 levels connected by a single ladder and it's basically impossible to boost up from the mid floor to the top unless you have a skip/power pack probably. I didn't managed to do it with a balanced pack, probably impossible with a basic pack. It is a dumb mechanic, it's soooo sloooow.

Last edited:

Brictoria

Vice Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
Yesterday I tried to build an A class (no skill unlocks required) hauler home ship (not just a girder with boxes and engines attached but a proper ship) with 2500ish cargo space. It is possible, but even if you re-use some components from the Frontier (the free starter), you will still need around 60-70K credits, which is quiet a sum when you're just starting out, and the best I could manage for Mobility stat on the ships was 1. ONE. I doubt it could move, at all.
I didn't have the cash for better engines, or shields or reactor... If you can get up to a 100K+ credits it's much easier, you can throw a lot more engine at it and make it almost viable. It will be a flying brick (or soap bar in my case) but probably survivable, fit for the many exploits using such a high capacity ships.
If you're willing to stagger the development of the ship (and "sacrifice" 4 skill points), the tier 2 "Tech" skill Payloads will allow you to increase the storage capacity, but needs you to run at 75%+ capacity as you level it up, which allows you to save funds to incease capacity as you level the skill, rather than trying to max out cargo from the beginning... If you go all-in on capacity to begin with, it does complicate levelling up the skill, as well as having the funding requirement you mentioned.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Oh I didn't know there were ship components locked behind levels still. It would have been nice if something mentioned that somewhere because I see basically no incentive, apart from getting some skills to unlock crafting customizations, once you are past lvl 30 ish. I'm only 30somthing and have seen all the armor and weapons by this point, at least it feels like it.

The exploration aspect, of having to constantly scan when you go somewhere is weak and annoying. I keep forgetting it even exists. The surface exporations is a tad better with having to scan (and probably kill) stuff. Fully exploring a planet does net you a survey data slate which you can sell to the right person for decent money. Also I keep forgetting that you can take randomly generated survey and other missions from mission terminals. There's already so many of these quests around just while you walk around the cities, it's kinda hard to find a reason to take those missions over the handcrafted ones.

Cos some ships are built with 3 levels connected by a single ladder and it's basically impossible to boost up from the mid floor to the top unless you have a skip/power pack probably. I didn't managed to do it with a balanced pack, probably impossible with a basic pack. It is a dumb mechanic, it's soooo sloooow.
There is a lot of variety in equipment, even if you think you've found everything. Not only are there the rarity modifies that give weapons special abilities, there's also tiers you unlock as you get higher, which are Calibrated, Refined, Advanced, and Superior (though superior is only for spacesuits, helmets, and packs.) That is also in addition to the variety of mods you can install on weapons once you've done the research to unlock them.

A Class for ships is quite limited, things start opening up once you get to B Class, but where it really gets interesting is C Class. Once you can fly it, the Narwhal is a great ship as it comes stock with a lot of components you won't be able to buy direction until L50+, and the location to buy it is really easy to find (unlike ships like the ships like the Dragonfire II.)

Making a lot of credits isn't that hard, clear out a couple pirate and ecliptic bases, pick up all the loot with a good weight to mass ratio or is useful to you, then go sell it to the vendors that typically have more credits on them (can also buy the stuff you need/want from them before selling), and you don't even have to do searching for them as there're mission terminal missions that'll send you to those bases. Just be careful what you pick up as these locations can have illegal goods (yellow marker instead of the red marker for stolen goods), these have amazing value to mass ratios, but limited places you can sell them (at least until you have shielded cargo and scan jammers.)

As for jumping up stacked up ladders, balance boost works for me, but I also have a few points increasing boosters (I'm over L60 and on NG+3.)

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Well, according to the internet the last 87.5 hours I spent playing this were literal torture, unenjoyable to the max, and just outright outrageously horrible.

Somehow, it doesn't feel like it.

Mind you, I did mod the game to make it into something palpable.

Yes it's watered down.
Yes the writing is on the level of "I'm 12 and this is deep, now where's my achievement bingbong noise". Much lower quality than ever before. Nothing can deny that.
But, if you stay with the main story, all the decisions they took with simplifying certain aspects will start to make some sense. Not the writing, but the general rhythm of it all.
It's no masterpiece, it's not the next coming of "insert deity/saint of choice". But neither was Skyrim or Fo3 or 4. Rose tinted goggles and all that...
It's kind of a mediocre game, I still hold my rating of 6.5 out of 10 and I think it's fair.

As is usual with these games, mods are not only a suggestion, but basically a neccessity.

The grapshics are xbox360 levels of horrible without a LUT mod. NaturaLUTS seems to do a good job of bringing back the black levels and injecting some color as well instead of the uniform vomit filter.

Looting better weapons, and combat in general, would feel meaningless without a mod that disables NPCs' leveled extra HP gains. Enemies are so spongy because they gain HP with leveling and they get an additional multiplier of health added, ranging from 5 to 20 per level. This makes them comically tough. By removing this extra gain, combat is more enjoyable, fast paced, modern. Headshots finally matter. But it also trivializes some encounters where you would have tried to stay out of combat otherwise.

The UI is freakin horrible. No one can convince me otherwise. I get the main screen's round design for consoles, but the inventory feels like it was made for a 640x480 monitor, the HUD is atrocious (the stealth meter looks like it was a total afterthought and looks like a debug element). StarUI fixed the inventory on day one basically, the mod that disables transitions and makes every UI interactions more snappy is also a must have imo, it's much more user friendly now, and I'm sure the rest will get modded soon.

Lockpicking is annoying. Not just because you have to think for a little bit and it gets repetitive real fast and you can't be bothered to think ahead... Because it's buggy. On several occasions I was shown spaces where there were non, or were seemingly no spaces while with auto-solve it turns out there was one.

The AI is as dumb as ever, but one huge improvement is that even when they got stuck running back and forth because the pathfinding bugged out, the quest marker and the quest still moved along. Feels like they have encountered these problems and worked around it with some extra checks instead of solving em outright. Also it's quiet refreshing to see that they atleast tried to solve pathfinding issues by making the NPC walk back to a reset point and try again, usually solving the problem.
What they haven't solved is how infuriating it can get, when your companion wants to talk to you, in the middle of a firefight, and you just really wanted to give them a better weapon or take some extra grenades you got stored on em. Instead you have to suffer through minutes of childishly bad irrelevant dialogue, exit and re-enter interaction with your companion, and if you are lucky, you can finally access their inventory.

Knowing where the story leads, investing any effort into building outposts feels absolutely unneccessary. Even without the context, I just couldn't find a reason to try building one. I have easily earned and spent around 800k credits just on building ships, without using outposts, without using any exploits.
Unless you count waiting 2 days for the vendor cash reset an exploit. This is something that I still don't understand why Bethesda keeps doing especially in this game. Why limit their cash so low when prices are inflated so high that unless something's worth a 1000 credits sale price, it's not even worth keeping around. There's no economy to balance, you will have to find a chair and wait a couple of minutes as 2days tick by and that's it. It's a totally unnecessary inconvenience. Haven't found a mod that fixes this yet, but once it's out it's basically a must have. I guess technically if you cheat your way under the map and find their stashes (yes, every vendor still has a box nearby under the map that contains their full inventory including credits) you could get too rich too fast. But then again, you can already add as much money as you want via console. So I just can't see a reason why keep doing this limitation on enjoyment.

SO yeah, there are some improvements over previous games, there are some elements that are unarguably sup par, and the rest... the rest just works lol

I wonder if I make it far enough into NG+ for their ways of doing things to make sense, before Phantom Liberty is out.

Edit:
View attachment 24865

As you can see from the above pic, only a small amount of players have gotten close to completing the game (all those shiny achievements are main story quests past the mid point), and even less "completed" the main story. I guess they found better things to do in game or just dropped out.
What you can't see, is that only 8.3% of the players completed the, lets call it the "mid point revelation" quest. Without having that reveal, that context to wtf is this all about, it's not really fair to judge the games design decisions.

This still doesn't change the fact the writing for almost every quest I've done so far was dogshit, so what this revelation, or call it plot twist if you have to, grants you is absolutely wasted.
But I enjoyed the journey to this point, and might do it again.
I find it interesting that you made a call out of the inventory system of starfall, when Star Citizen inventory is (imo) one of the worst systems I have ever seen. There is no doubt that SF inventory could be a lot better, but it’s a heck of a lot better than SC’s inventory.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I find it interesting that you made a call out of the inventory system of starfall, when Star Citizen inventory is (imo) one of the worst systems I have ever seen. There is no doubt that SF inventory could be a lot better, but it’s a heck of a lot better than SC’s inventory.
Yeah I kinda agree. I'm not happy with either, but somehow considering the gameplay style, SC's doesn't bother me as much as Starfield's archaic system. This probably because you can carry such a limited amount of stuff on your body in SC that managing it doesn't really become an issue, while in Starfield the main gameplay loop involves lugging around hundreds of items on you. Thus the default inventory screen becomes an issue. When you loot a pirate base it's hard to get an overview of all the stuff you got, what to keep, what's an upgrade, what to sell, what to outright leave behind. It's a core part of the gameplay. In SC it's much easier, just a couple of weapons on you and whatever few things you can fit in your backpack, if you even have one. As for the base/ship and more global inventory screens, yeah that's a mess. For a long time I thought my items were missing because I didn't notice the tiny arrows at the bottom to turn the page. Its a bad ui design that I hope changes soon.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Starfield is great fun, and it serves as a reminder of how impressive what CIG have done already really is. Full planets, no transitions, the makings of a robust auto-generated content system, and all while in a multiplayer environment. And my worries of aging graphics have vastly decreased. It will make the general population hungry for more space content. Delicious, full immersion, space content.

Not to mention the fact that Chris Roberts is going to sell StarEngine to outside devs and make 100x what star citizen will make him

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
The low amount of cargo I can haul in Starfield keeps annoying me. I have a B Ship now and managed to get 4 Containers on it for the tradeoff of a warning about low mobility. With a Cargo Trait +10% or so I have about 4,5 tons carry capacity. Not that it actually matters. You can't really monetize your cargo anyway as traders don't really have money. It helps a little now for outpost building. Which unfortunatly is also quite pointless. But I'm sure modders will make Starfield a better game yet.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
The low amount of cargo I can haul in Starfield keeps annoying me. I have a B Ship now and managed to get 4 Containers on it for the tradeoff of a warning about low mobility. With a Cargo Trait +10% or so I have about 4,5 tons carry capacity. Not that it actually matters. You can't really monetize your cargo anyway as traders don't really have money. It helps a little now for outpost building. Which unfortunatly is also quite pointless. But I'm sure modders will make Starfield a better game yet.
Ya I've given up on cargo and traders and inventory. It's really pointless and I think it was never flushed out like planetary effects because it wasn't a core game play element they wanted.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Ya I've given up on cargo and traders and inventory. It's really pointless and I think it was never flushed out like planetary effects because it wasn't a core game play element they wanted.
Yes, cargo is just your mobile stash to carry all the loot and keep weapons and armor you think you might need one day safe. A game mechanic you will give up on the moment you realize this game is built around doing NG+ which wipes all of it away and makes looting kinda meaningless.
By my 2nd run through I just looted every gun becasue my armor made their mass 50% of normal, and even then I only went for colored ones or upgraded ones that are worth a damn. Even then I only needed the money to fuel my ship building hobby, I already had one of the best ships in the game, the mighty PoopFalcon you get from completing the Western cosplayers' chain.
I spent a good 20 minutes repainting that thing black and gold with some shades of grey cos omfg, who thought that painting a warship BROWN was a good idea???

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
Yes, cargo is just your mobile stash to carry all the loot and keep weapons and armor you think you might need one day safe. A game mechanic you will give up on the moment you realize this game is built around doing NG+ which wipes all of it away and makes looting kinda meaningless.
By my 2nd run through I just looted every gun becasue my armor made their mass 50% of normal, and even then I only went for colored ones or upgraded ones that are worth a damn. Even then I only needed the money to fuel my ship building hobby, I already had one of the best ships in the game, the mighty PoopFalcon you get from completing the Western cosplayers' chain.
I spent a good 20 minutes repainting that thing black and gold with some shades of grey cos omfg, who thought that painting a warship BROWN was a good idea???
You can multi-select ship parts (press Ctrl) and color them alll at once ;)

• o7

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
You can multi-select ship parts (press Ctrl) and color them alll at once ;)
I was trying all kinda key combos, then I watched a youtube vid about ship building that mentioned this, tried it again, Nothing. It simply didn do nuffin. Had to do all my ship edits part by part.
No I haven't changed my key bindings or had any mods that would touch the ship builder UI or key assigment. So yeah, "it just works!" lol

Reactions: Ploeperpengel

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
My 200 hour review of Starfield, is that it is enjoyable but was not worth the wait!

A decade on from the magnificent Skyrim It has not advanced our hobby in any way.

For fairness I have visited every system ( not every planet) but have avoided the main quest so far ( I can not imagine that when I do the main quest it will change my view)

I met Sarah but only to unlock wider travel. ( not a spoiler, your ship is limited on where it can travel to until you go to the lodge)

I think I will play for another 100 + hours. So it is good but like the JWST it is the same stuff as before , it just looks a bit better.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
My 200 hour review of Starfield, is that it is enjoyable but was not worth the wait!

A decade on from the magnificent Skyrim It has not advanced our hobby in any way.

For fairness I have visited every system ( not every planet) but have avoided the main quest so far ( I can not imagine that when I do the main quest it will change my view)

I met Sarah but only to unlock wider travel. ( not a spoiler, your ship is limited on where it can travel to until you go to the lodge)

I think I will play for another 100 + hours. So it is good but like the JWST it is the same stuff as before , it just looks a bit better.
Agreed, it wasn't worth the wait. Good thing I didn't wait for it.
The moment the 2.0 patch dropped for 2077, I dropped Starfield from my playlist, and uninstalled it since.

When i competed the main quest and went into NG+, it didn't change my rating and overall impression of the game. It did however made me understand the flow they were aiming for, and changed my playstyle accordingly. It was kinda freeing.

The biggest issue I think is that everyone, was expecting another Skyrim or Fallout just better, and it looks like it up to a point, but it isn't that.
This is kind of a mix of a roguelite with the NG+ mechanic, and a looter shooter with some base management and crafting that was shoved into it. And it also has a minigame you can play on the loading screen between planets, that is spaceflight.
The actual gameplay feels like playing Destiny on an empty server, with much worse combat, but on maps that change ever so slightly as you visit planets, and you have to sit through ugly NPC's talking to you before you can go shoot stuff again.
All in all, even when the DLC comes out, I'm not coming back cos a 120 hours was more than plenty to waste in this shallow puddle.

Forgot your password?