Starting a YT Channel and planning on monetazion... any tips?

I_MIKE_I

Space Marshal
May 7, 2016
RSI Handle
I_MIKE_I
Well, since we have a fair amount of Content Creators in TEST, I wondered what opinion you guys have on making money with a YT channel.

I'm well aware that it's not easy to get a measurable income from it (2-3$ per 1000 ad-views I think was it?), even more so since I don't have proper equipment. But I'd be fine just earning enough to help paying PC Components, Games or Ships in SC.

Any one got some advice for me? :p

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Make any content you find interesting, and if others like it, you will do well!

1000 views will get you a few cents.
10,000 will get you $3-$7

I would not be planning retirement any time soon unless you are hitting videos in the 100k range regularly ;)

I_MIKE_I

Space Marshal
May 7, 2016
RSI Handle
I_MIKE_I
Make any content you find interesting, and if others like it, you will do well!

1000 views will get you a few cents.
10,000 will get you $3-$7

I would not be planning retirement any time soon unless you are hitting videos in the 100k range regularly ;)
Yeah, I mentioned ad-views... I'd expect maybe 1 out of 10 to view the ads, if not less.

That said, I'm currently unemployed... but I saved up some cash to get by. But it's quite tough deciding to upgrade my PC (most notably for SC)... not so much because I'm broke but it's easier to spend cash when it's coming in rather than slowly running out... ;D

Reactions: hardroc77

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Any one got some advice for me? :p
Yea.. don't use any copyrighted music, or rather any music that isn't CC or licensed lol.
Just made a thread about this a few days ago hehe

For monetization, video game footage is usually a hit or miss from what I've seen/read but I haven't heard any problems with CIG doing copyright strikes (maybe due to being crowd funded?) with YouTubers so that's a plus! And for revenue per view, it drastically changes... but an average is $1,000 USD per million views which my friend EpicWildlife told me a few years ago when we talked about it. The only way, unless you're 3rd world (no offense to those who are), to earn more than beer money from YouTube is to have a VERY successful channel where each video (preferably 2+ a week) gets 100,000+ views.. that's IMO the first major milestone as a YouTuber (your first 100,000+ viewed video). Because of the residual nature of the income, the more videos you have getting views every day the more your income. The more videos you have over 100,000 views, the longer your viewers are watching (engagement), the current season (whenever people buy more shit from online), the more diverse or specific your demographic is, CPM, all affects your monthly income as a YouTuber.

So how to get there..... Odds are against us mate, market is over saturated and videos/channels are under performing for SEO and click-ability and user engagement....

#1 Quality / engaging content
people are looking for either information or entertainment usually right?
And if you have/build a fan base, giving them what they want (your personality) + good information + entertainment is a super win.
Doing that isn't easy and takes thought/planning/and just doing it. Expect to spend hours on this.. unless you hire people. Notice the biggest YouTubers usually have "staff" they hire just to manage delivering new content. Linus Tech Tips for example.

#2 DO NOT CLICK BAIT
I know a lot of channels do this to get momentum on growth (view count and watch time)
but it won't get you long term success! Your YouTube seo will suffer with all the unsubs and dislikes and negative comments.

#3 Good thumbnails
Thumbnails that look great, stand out, and physically make people want to click it, is what you want to do.
If you don't have design skills (like me) look at what other channels do or hire a designer to make a template for you.

#4 SPEND LOTS OF TIME on developing your channel
Either you or someone you hire, needs to be constantly seeing what your viewers are doing (watch time, when they leave, where they came from, etc), and adjust what you do to tailor your videos to your growing audience.

#5 Which is actually NUMBER 1.. or should be... BE PASSIONATE about it. If you don't have the passion and the drive to make YouTube content because YOU love it.. and it makes YOU happy... don't do it.. because you'll just end up wasting your valuable time. Trust me.

P.S.
A lot of YouTubers fail here, but READ your comments! Even the bad ones, find merit in negative comments on how you can improve your videos unless it goes against the personality of your channel. AND... RESPOND to comments, engage your viewers who not only watched some (or all) of your video but also spent the time to comment on your video. Do not let people who spend that kind of time for you go unnoticed! Unless of course your channel grows so big that you can't possibly respond to all the comments. I think part of the reason my flashmob video kept getting new views is because I would reply and like to every positive comment and I think it may have helped the video's SEO on the platform. Because 90% of it's views were all from suggested views EG suggested by YouTube

Last edited:

I_MIKE_I

Space Marshal
May 7, 2016
RSI Handle
I_MIKE_I
Thanks @DirectorGunner that's a lot of good info.

1) I watch LinusTechTips for quite a while, but I kinda dislike how they throw in filler videos over and over and they've also started strechting the videos a lot. Then again, they made TechQuicky which is quite good for info.

2) Since I hate clickbaits myself, I won't do that.

3) I think LTT made a episode about that (why they changed their Tumbnails to more outstanding ones), but I'm not gonna overdo it.

4) At least for now, time is the only thing I have enough of...^^

5) Well, I do have around a dozen PCs around here which I got for free/cheap (or build from scrap parts) and I've spend somewhere between 300 and 400€ I think on SC... so I'd say I'm somewhat enthusiastic about that. ;D

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Well, my channel won't be about TEST... tough I might mention TEST when it comes to SC or other Games we're active in (are there any?).
What kind of stuff are you going to be putting on your channel then? Maybe I was misunderstanding your meaning. I thought you were trying to make a TEST youtube channel and centralize all the videos we have.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I think many people assume making money by youtubing and twitching is easy. Make a few videos get a thousand followers, be rich!!

You've got to put long hours in for shit pay. It's like working a real job except you start off on $0 an hour and have to work your way up!!

Egriz

Grand Pooh-Bear
Donor
Jan 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Egriz
Make sure it's something you enjoy and have a passion for. You're not going to be making money right away. The main drive should be your passion for the subject.

Reactions: hardroc77

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
I wish you all the best of luck, seriously. Some of our better streamers would be the best source of info. People like Captain Richard and Montoya are some of the best sources of info. Heed their words and have patience.

Last edited:
Reactions: DirectorGunner

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
I think many people assume making money by youtubing and twitching is easy. Make a few videos get a thousand followers, be rich!!

You've got to put long hours in for shit pay. It's like working a real job except you start off on $0 an hour and have to work your way up!!
Make sure it's something you enjoy and have a passion for. You're not going to be making money right away. The main drive should be your passion for the subject.
Amen and amen lol

Reactions: BUTUZ and hardroc77
Forgot your password?