Stock Market for a newbie

Bigcracker

Space Marshal
Feb 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Bigcracker8789
I am looking for a hobby and instead of going to the track or placing the random sports bet I want to try stocks. Exciting right? 1st problem I have no idea what the hell is going on or even where to start, all I know is I seen the movie wallstreet and the wolf of wallstreet. So I want to ask any friendly testies know any good books to read or somewhere to start small?

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I have some stock investments. Disclaimer: I also don't have any idea what the hell is going on, and nothing in this message should be taken as advice that you should follow simply because I said something. Look at it like this: I"m a monkey in an orange space suit, talking to Marvin the Martian's head. K?

But I'll say this: If you want to be a day trader, then that is an almost totally different discipline than an investor - and there's a whole grey area between day trader and investor. It depends on what you want to accomplish.

Investors make a bet on a stock , and typically it's a long term investment you just leave alone for the most part. To get started is typically easier. You can start off by investing in high risk funds, for example. You get the benefit in a volatile market of the fund manager's experience. I say this because you can invest small amounts.

Day traders on the other hand, typically invest very short term, say starting literally at 9 AM, by making some purchases, selling and buying throughout the day based on their strategy, and ideally at the end of the day having nothing in the market, and a profit in the account. You get the benefit of the excitement of the hunt. They and almost every other type of short term trader usually have a big disadvantage.

That is that generally the trades that make the money in stocks are made in milliseconds or even nanoseconds after the conditions that triggered it are met. If you don't have the kind of resources available to you to match that, then don't do this with anything more than some beer & pizza money. It will melt faster than an ice-cream on a hot summer day in Houston.

What I discovered is that human nature doesn't allow you to react without emotion, and you need to approach this with a pure logical mind. We don't come equipped with one. But computers do, so people have invented some interesting algorithms to tell them when to buy, and sell. Unfortunately, the programs are usually very very good at telling you when to buy something, and very very bad at telling you when it's time to sell. Instead, on that end, they're very good at telling you when it's already too late. I should know, I wrote one of these algorithms.

Books: are useless, except maybe for the bare mechanics of how the stock market works. Mostly books are written for the author's benefit, and not the reader's benefit. You know how to make a million, right? You either start off with a two million investment, and invest it in the stock market until you have only 1 million left, or write a NY Times best selling book on how to make money.

The other thing though, something that might give you some tools is a course. You can find them on places like Udemy. They have published prices like 199.00 and stuff, but at these places, everything is always on sale at anything between 85 and 95% off. You get one added benefit that books don't give you. That is there is a live rating of the course from it's students. You want the highest rated course, you can get for 10.99-14.99. EDIT: Some of the courses you can get at places like this are colllege level, and many are written by boni fide experts.

OR on the other hand, what's wrong with the race track? For the money, you might even be better off going to a BINGO hall, or buying lottery tickets over investing.

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
OH... If you're really interested in this, then there's a tool you might want to look into. It's called a Stock Trainer. It allows you to pretend to invest, and shows you how you do, without actually making an investment.

If anything, they give you a feel for how things work, they report real stock prices in a real way - and you'll get a sense of the complexity of trading. You get a chance to learn from the mistakes you'll make, without any risk. Then once you think you have it figured out, you can switch to the real thing. The tools are generally very close to identical to the real thing, so that'll lower your interface learning curve.

Stock trainers are available for Windows, Mac, iOS devices and Anderoid devices... maybe even Linux.

Also, for what it's worth, my grandfather was actually a rather famous economist. A Rhodes Scholar, and professor at Cambridge College in the USA, became vice-president of a major global corporation who was chauffeured around in a Rolls, and flew in private jets back in the '60's. You know what he invested in? A pension plan, his stamp collection, and he became a master woodworker in his spare time.

Last edited:

Doyzer

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Doyzer
Stock Trainer is a great idea.

I would also watch CNBC to get an idea of how the markets work. Options actions is an interesting show.

I would pass on Day Trading, I am pretty sure that ship sailed in the early 2000's. Many stocks went up fast even though they had zero profits/revenues.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Disclaimer: don't do what I'm about to describe. Seriously . Don't .
But if you just wanna play with your money, you can lose it all, I mean try CFD trading, like plus500 and such platforms. Betting on bitcoin to go down is a pretty good win at the moment. I've been doing that for 6weeks now and after almost losing all my beer money, I managed to make back half of it. So not a good deal for someone like me who has no idea what he is doing.
These trading platforms usually come with apps that have built in training /game money options so you don't have to invest your real money unless you are sure that you are ready to lose it all.

Tldr : I'm talking shit here, listen to the others, they make sense!

Last edited:

orac_zen

Space Marshal
Mar 16, 2016
RSI Handle
orak1
I started using stash last summer. here is my referral code if you decide to try it out. we both get $5
Buy individual stocks now. Here's $5. Try this out:
https://get.stashinvest.com/davidk8177

It lets you do small amounts over time like weekly. Most of the funds are ETF's but there are some major stocks like NVidia, amazon, etc. You can also do retirement or investment.

Reactions: Bigcracker

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
There really is two kinds of stock trading as @Vavrik pointed out. As for Day Trading I am not sure you can make a go at it with brokerage fees on beer and pizza money as well as compete against bots who have direct dedicated network access to the market floor. The best bet is as it has been to do the research into a company and its C-Officers, figure out if they are making the right kind of investments into their own future and then buy up stocks to sit on for months if not years. Once you get a feeling for finding out growth companies you can start to leverage that by short selling companies you feel are making mistakes and miss steps that will jeopardize their future.

Forgot your password?