Sweetspot for graphics vs performance

Cain Jr

Commander
Nov 23, 2023
RSI Handle
Cain Jr
Do you know of a guide on how to optimize SC for graphics without sacrificing performance?

At first I thought I had found it in the other Tech forum in the sticky thread about config files but it seems that thread died out in 2016.

My setup:
Processor 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-13700F, 2100 Mhz, 16 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16,0 GB
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Well the guys over at GamersbyNight have a bit of not-to-dated advice.
But as a rule of thumb, if you got a good CPU (you do) and good graphics (you do) and enough Memory (16GB is kinda on the edge, aim for 32GB) plus you SC Live folder sits on a fast enough SSD (make that a NVMe actually) then YOU are good to go.
The remaining problem should be the servers and there's nothing you can do about that. Except maybe pimp your Internet if that's possible.
The only graphics option that has any real impact are the volumetric clouds. Those can cripple your FPS if your Rig can't handle them.
Especially if you settled on a certain gaseous planet.
Not much impact in the deep, dark recesses of space where I usually lurk. :o7:

Cain Jr

Commander
Nov 23, 2023
RSI Handle
Cain Jr
Well the guys over at GamersbyNight have a bit of not-to-dated advice.
But as a rule of thumb, if you got a good CPU (you do) and good graphics (you do) and enough Memory (16GB is kinda on the edge, aim for 32GB) plus you SC Live folder sits on a fast enough SSD (make that a NVMe actually) then YOU are good to go.
The remaining problem should be the servers and there's nothing you can do about that. Except maybe pimp your Internet if that's possible.
The only graphics option that has any real impact are the volumetric clouds. Those can cripple your FPS if your Rig can't handle them.
Especially if you settled on a certain gaseous planet.
Not much impact in the deep, dark recesses of space where I usually lurk. :o7:
Thanks Mudhawk, I'll check that out!
Yes everything runs on a SSD.
And a very fast cable broadband connection.

Last edited:

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
Do you know of a guide on how to optimize SC for graphics without sacrificing performance?

At first I thought I had found it in the other Tech forum in the sticky thread about config files but it seems that thread died out in 2016.

My setup:
Processor 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-13700F, 2100 Mhz, 16 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070
With that hardware you shouldn't have any problems, as long as you have your game and OS installed on SSD drive or drives.
I would personally add 16GB more memory though. Also, memory frequency is the key -- use 3200MHz or higher. And you need to make sure you're actually using it at that speed ; )

You can set your RTX this way -- note the shader cache size, power management mode and texture filtering quality; with RTX 4070 you can safely set the 'Quality' filtering.

nvidia_control.png

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Southern_Cross_07

Commander
Nov 22, 2023
RSI Handle
Southern_Cross_o7

My setup:
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070
Hi! Welcome in.

My biggest change to get better performance - changing Monitors from 4K down to 2K (2560 x 1440)
Pushing the 4K on my newish RX 7900 XTX was a chore.

Mio Fujii

Commander
Donor
Sep 15, 2023
RSI Handle
Mio_Fujii
I came across a video on Youtube about how to set up your computer for SC. Can't recall the name offhand and not in a position to go look for it, but I would think you could find it easy enough. If I remember correctly it wasn't that old, maybe 6months or so.

Though I haven't messed with it personally, the DLSS system for Nvidia, AMD has one also but can't recall the name, is supposed to give you the performance of lower resolutions with the quality of higher resolutions.

• Glorious
Reactions: Talonsbane
Forgot your password?