Switching to Linux

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
I was pretty excited about the upgrade to Windows 10. I had used Win7 for years and was happy with it but I wanted to modernize.
Day of the roll out, I downloaded Win10 and installed it. Since that time, I have had to reinstall Win10 about 5 times for various reasons along with all of my software which took about 6hrs start to finish. I'm done. Honestly some of these installs were my fault, some the damn thing just broke. Given all of the bugs that I've experienced and features that are either deactivated or not working as they should, I want to start the process of switching to a linux based system.

I'm probably going to use a dual-boot system with Windows 10 just in case I need to run something natively in Windows like Star Citizen. I have an extra SSD that I am using for games anyways so it shouldn't be a problem. I'll use Virtual Machine or Wine as necessary. I also use photo editing and video editing software and most importantly ArcGIS. Unfortunately, it is not available on Linux but I have alternatives and Win10. Same with Office 2013.

So I'll keep looking for software alternatives to what I use however I wanted to find out which version of Linux would be best to start with. I know this is a can of worms but I thought I would post it here and see what I got.

Last edited:

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
If you are really serious about moving to linux and trying to make it a main OS I recommend trying Zorin OS they even make a gaming version (pretty much has more features). It has a windows like feel in and can be changed if you are not into that, it I believe was based on ubuntu. The driver support is great, especially for GPU's. Wine runs well on it even its other versions so if you are experienced with wine it has all the features you want.

Reactions: Space Monkey

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
Yeah, I'm over it. I'll still use Windows when I need to but at least I'll limit my exposure to the bullshit. After a while, I might forget I even have a second boot. I'd rather support open-source anyway. It's either that or go back to Win7 or 8.

I was looking at Mint with Cinnamon but I'm really open to look at anything.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
The reason I recommend Zorin is because they try to give you everything you need moving from windows without needed to tweak and setup a shit ton of things :)

halfsane

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2014
RSI Handle
halfsane
I run linux as my main OS. I dual boot for SC and a couple of other games until Linux versions are out. I'd recommend Ubuntu Gnome. Stick with the LTS for now until you get your feet wet. Be sure to install the latest graphics driver PPA (xorg-edgers). Just remember, this isn't windows, things are meant to work differently. Good luck! I love it personally.

Quasaris

Rear Admiral
May 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Quasaris
I've been using Linux for many years, and sadly if you need specific programs such as cad/cam software, adobe suite, star citizen :) etc. you'll need to keep logging into windows.

The thing about Linux Mint is that it blocks certain types of security updates by default, It shouldn't be a problem since they are not essential.
Although I would use a full featured Ubuntu instead of Mint's chopped version.

If you go for regular Ubuntu and you want to keep Unity disable all the unity-amazon-spyware-crap for privacy and annoyance reasons, or even better get rid of Unity desktop.

You can either install Cinnamon instead of Unity (or any other desktop you like), or or follow @halfsane advice and give a try to Gnome Ubuntu LTS (it runs with Gnome3 desktop), it's a good option to begin with, that is if you don't want to tinker too much. Actually it's the one I'm using.

Have fun & luck.

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
I think I'm going with Mint with Cinnamon first but thanks for the heads up on the other Distros. Mint seems both customizable and easier out of the box and will probably make it easier for me to aclimate from Windows and Apple OS. I'll try for Ubuntu+Cinnamon after I get a handle on my software. I'm actually really surprised at the choices available out there for Linux. From my looking over-the-shoulder at the office server terminal way back in the day, I always thaught Linux to be a brick software. Utilitarian , hard to wield but does the job well. From the youtube vids I've seen, I'm happily surprised that I am now completely wrong. I don't do much programming other than basic html and python but I'm actually excited that I'll at least contribute by having Linux on one more machine and kick back a few coins when I can. This certainly feels much better than the whole Windows experience.

Shar Treuse

Captain
Nov 24, 2014
RSI Handle
Shar Treuse
Just to put things in perspective, a lot of people I know, myself included, give a new version of Windows at the very least a year to mature before switching to it. Personally I like to wait for the forst major service pack (plus a few months shakedown). Going with a brand new Windows on day 1 on your primary, non-test machine is just asking for the ramrod of OS sodomy.

If you are serious about making the move to Linux and not just "still working on getting over the latest MS BS", note that you aren't going to be able to play most games. That's about the only thing that is really going to get in your way. Everything else is just a matter of getting used to how Linux and the software that runs on it operates. Mint with Cinnamon is probably your best bet for getting into Linux, though if you every really want to get your fingers deep into the guts of the OS it will take a bit more effort than it would with one of the more traditional distros. You can get really hardcore if you want to by going with Slackware or rolling your own distro (those beards wouldn't fit on the paper), but that's for fairly advanced/experienced Linux users.

Any kind of programming on Linux is dead easy compared to Windows because you don't have to deal with the massive crap-pile of Microsoft libraries, whether you do lightweight stuff like HTM+python or hardcore C++ and such.

I'll warn you now, however; things are not going to be babys-arse smooth. There will be hiccups and bumps and minor tragedies as you figure out how things go. Fortunately recovering is usually (five nines) a lot easier than when you make a mistake under MS.

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
Just to put things in perspective, a lot of people I know, myself included, give a new version of Windows at the very least a year to mature before switching to it. Personally I like to wait for the forst major service pack (plus a few months shakedown). Going with a brand new Windows on day 1 on your primary, non-test machine is just asking for the ramrod of OS sodomy.

If you are serious about making the move to Linux and not just "still working on getting over the latest MS BS", note that you aren't going to be able to play most games. That's about the only thing that is really going to get in your way. Everything else is just a matter of getting used to how Linux and the software that runs on it operates. Mint with Cinnamon is probably your best bet for getting into Linux, though if you every really want to get your fingers deep into the guts of the OS it will take a bit more effort than it would with one of the more traditional distros. You can get really hardcore if you want to by going with Slackware or rolling your own distro (those beards wouldn't fit on the paper), but that's for fairly advanced/experienced Linux users.

Any kind of programming on Linux is dead easy compared to Windows because you don't have to deal with the massive crap-pile of Microsoft libraries, whether you do lightweight stuff like HTM+python or hardcore C++ and such.

I'll warn you now, however; things are not going to be babys-arse smooth. There will be hiccups and bumps and minor tragedies as you figure out how things go. Fortunately recovering is usually (five nines) a lot easier than when you make a mistake under MS.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm definitely not going to do away with Windows since I do want to play games and I use several professional software that are exclusive to Windows it seems. I'll try to find alternatives though where and when available. It'll still have Windows but I can certainly limit my expossure to it and with it the frustration that comes with the impression that I am limited in my choices. A lot of people including myself have been dissatisfied with Windows 10 but its seems like everytime a new version of Windows comes out there are issues. You can't please everybody I guess. I'm sure they'll get their act together evetually and the security and "spying" issues will be resolved one way or another internally or externally. It's well on its way already.
I've used some open-source software for Windows but at this point, I think I'm ready for more. Linux is just a natural progression for me and the release of Windows 10 was the impetus. Many people are clamering for an alternative to Windows and software that "listens to people's demand for the product" but this can't really happen from a company as large as Microsoft. There's just tto many to please and getting frustrated by that is just a waist of time and energy for me at this point.
I'm aware that this transition is not rainbows in the sky but I like the dynamic and open-source aspect of Linux. I've only had limited experience with open-source projects but I used Orfeo Toolbox and QGIS in the past and recently tried Inkscape all on Windows of course and I've been really satisfied with what I saw. I would like to see given what I use in my computing habits day to day how far I could implement open-sourced solutions.
I certainly like the fact that I'll be learning something new and that eventually someone might benefit from my experience. I actually have a couple of old Macbooks that might be good candidates for a Linux upgrade. It'll be fun!.. and in the end, that is already miles apart from what Windows is offering. : )

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
I have always been one of those guys who tried Linux, but, because of the gaming scene, could never stay with it. Back it the QUAKE days, I even had a full install of the Linux Quake 4, but still had to dual boot. And eventually would have to scrap one for the other due to shrinking HDD space. However, being older and wiser, I think it might be time to try this again, and downgrade back to Win7, due to the issues I keep having with my games, and PC in general.

So, I say to you, good @Space Monkey , Go For It, I might not be too far behind you, and since I know a bit about it already, I could also give you a hand.(Gotta see if I can find a way to get SC to run on Linux, cause it hogs fewer system resources than Windows)

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
Sweet! Well, I'm excited. I'm actually compilling a list of programs that I'll need to have on Linux and strategies for the programs that aren't available. I'll put it up but so far its looking really good. I'm pretty sure that the installs will be an experience but I'm looking forward to it. I have to keep Windows anyway but we'll see how far I can get.
For games, I've bought Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim and although I know these are good, at this point I'd rather play AC. No big thing to have them on Wine or a Virtual Box if I get to them eventually. I know for others this is really important but I really don't have a dog in that fight so someone else will have to do that. : )
For Star Citizen, dualboot with SSDs. It takes no time at all now to switch but cross fingers the Linux version won't take 10 years.
I currently have 2 240GB SSDs and a 1TB Drive and although they are not full I had a really bad experience with partitioning my drives last february and I prefer not to do that if I don't have to. I'll be buying another 240SSD soon for Linux.

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
So after many videos and articles on switching to Linux this weekend, here is what I came up with.

UEFI: I'll need to reconfigure my UEFI to allow for USB booting and disable all of the quickboot stuff for Windows optimization and allow for dual-booting of Linux and Windows. Kinda think of it, I haven't seen my BIOS loading screen since I've installed Windows 10. Hmmm

Audio Issues: I am using the GA-Z97X-UD3H motherboard and it rocks. However, it may have some issues working with audio inputs and outputs. I found this on the Ubuntu forum so I'll test it out and see if this is still an issue.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960: Apparently getting the 900 series to work is a thing. I found a forum post that seems pretty comprehensive to enable these GPUs.

i5-4690K: So I intend to install a virtualbox and depending on the CPU, there may be some virtualization issues from the operating system on the virtualbox to the actual physical hardware since the physical hardware is actually connected to the Linux OS. Luckily, my Devil's Canyon CPU has virtualization support and I just need to enable it in the BIOS. As I understand other K CPUs may not have this feature. Anyway, it'll make playing games and using Creative Suite in the Virtualbox possible. Hopefully. : )

Other than these particular issues, should I be looking at anything else? and consider other potential problems.

Lastly, for those interested, I found this interesting.
"Don't switch to Linux" -

Reactions: mromutt
Forgot your password?