system help needed lol :-)

baal_15

Grand Admiral
Mar 18, 2017
RSI Handle
baal_15
please help i got a h110m pro-vd motherboard ddr4, i5 6402p , cpu 2.8ghz , 16gb , with a 1060 3gb gpu , game is lagging but just about playable ! any suggestions to improve game play is mostly appreciated as im not to clever with spec ,stats or tech ! was thinking if a ssd drive will improve on the lagging as my disk usage seems to max out 100% when i launch the game ? any advice will be great many thanks baal_15

Shiwaz

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Shiwaz
SSD is one of the highest recommendations i can give you for star citizen, so do yourself a big favour and get one asap!

Make sure to check some tech-sites for performance comparison, since not all SSD's are equal...

Maybe someone else can give a recommendation on a specific drive, make and model?

EDIT: Also, people seem to suggest a bare minimum of 16GB of RAM, but personally ive gotten along well with 16GB. My own SSD is old so maybe not the best suggestion, but its a Samsung 840 EVO 500GB and seems to work fine, but i have nothing to compare with.

Last edited:

baal_15

Grand Admiral
Mar 18, 2017
RSI Handle
baal_15
SSD is one of the highest recommendations i can give you for star citizen, so do yourself a big favour and get one asap!

Make sure to check some tech-sites for performance comparison, since not all SSD's are equal...

Maybe someone else can give a recommendation on a specific drive, make and model?

EDIT: Also, people seem to suggest a bare minimum of 16GB of RAM, but personally ive gotten along well with 16GB. My own SSD is old so maybe not the best suggestion, but its a Samsung 840 EVO 500GB and seems to work fine, but i have nothing to compare with.
i was told the 850 evo 250gb is ok but im not sure so if i may go for the 500gb version thanks for your advice it really does help me alot :-)

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I'm now averaging only 10.5-15 fps myself, but from what I've observed on Twitch, the current build of SC is rather unoptimized where RAM is concerned so it is very demanding on that. Also, as graphics heavy as SC is, you may want to eventually upgrade your Video Card when you can afford.

dubbzy

Admiral
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
dubbzy104
Make sure that the in-game graphics settings are all set to low. I'm not sure what the best settings for a 1060 are, so I would start with everything on low, check your performance, raise some things up a level, and repeat until you find a good combination of looks and performance.

You may also want to try increasing your page file size. This basically turns some of your hard drive space into slower RAM (in a very brief nutshell) instructions, and a little background info, can be found here: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2864547/manage-virtual-memory-pagefile-windows.html You can find other guides and recommendations for paging file sizes form your favorite search engine. NOTE: If you do get a SSD, you don't want to put a huge paging file on there.

At the end of the day, the Star Citizen servers can limit the performance, so don't expect to get higher than 30 frames per second. That being said, upgrading your system wouldn't hurt

Reactions: Talonsbane

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
You might want to go into the Nvidea control panel, and configure it for Star Citizen. You want the 3d settings tab. Start by having everything off, and configuring for performance over quality. In SC, you might even want to reduce your screen resolution as well as quality, and turn off VSync, and reduce everything to minimums. If it doesn't work you can always set them back.

Also... you didn't mention if your SSD is M.2, SATA or USB. USB is next to useless for this purpose. SATA if you have no alternative, otherwise chose M.2 if you can.

Reactions: Talonsbane

Toihva

Captain
Aug 13, 2017
RSI Handle
Dagnimaer
Few things:

First off, it is still alpha and as such they have LOT of stuff running in the background. Those debuggers etc are taken out prior to release, but will be there up til release. I've been in many Alpha's and Beta's, and everyone has been laggy. Come release, no issues that were really engine related.

Next, optimization is the last thing that is done for the game. So if you want 60+ fps and buttery smooth, non-crashing game play, just wait til release.

That being said, many have given great feedback:

Step 1: Get an SSD. Ideally 500GB+ would be best because as the SSD fills up, the SSD slows down. When you do get an SSD try and keep it only 75-80% full.

Step 2: Since you have the 3GB, try and grab a new video card. RSI's own website has stated minimum GPU is one with 4GB of VRAM. Yes, I know its hard to grab one at a reasonable price, but auto-notify is your friend. There are some deals out there if you are patient and look. Also, keep any eye out on forums any maybe think about getting used.

Step 3: Look at setting up a 16GB page file. Have heard a few testies saying how well it works with SC.

Forgot your password?