Take action to defend Net Neutrality! Keep things as they are right now!

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
If you head off to www.GoFccYourself.com it will take you directly to the page where you can submit a comment to the FCC. Just click "Express" and tell Ajit Pai that you support strong net neutrality rules backed by Title II oversight of ISPs. DO EEEET! Thanks, Jon Oliver. FOR THE INTERNET! FOR THE MEEMZ!
(Seriously tho. Participate, or shut the hell up when the internet gets as bad as cable TV subscriptions)

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
ust click "Express" and tell Ajit Pai that you support strong net neutrality rules backed by Title II oversight of ISPs
Ajit Pai does not give a shit. He has decided he wants NN gone, no amount of internet complaining will change his mind.

We need to hit up Congress, they need to understand that they will be voted out of office if they support this.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Just did a Google search on Ajit Pai's federal disclosure form...it looks like he has (combined) between $101,000 and $265,000 of Verizon stock in his 401k.

http://altgov2.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Pai-Ajit-V.-final278.pdf?189db0

Of course, the *real* value of his kissing up to the industry will be realized *after* he leaves his government job and cashes in all the favors he is doing now for Verizon.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Ajit Pai does not give a shit. He has decided he wants NN gone, no amount of internet complaining will change his mind.

We need to hit up Congress, they need to understand that they will be voted out of office if they support this.
True, HE is a turdgoblin that will ignore this, but flooding his inbox helps make a statement. I have already contacted my representatives several times and will continue to do so. I think this is the kind of issue where I can truly say:
?

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Great stuff. Thanks for this call to action. I would like to add just one small explanation.

This is not a case where capitalism fails and we need regulation. It is because this situation is not an example of free market capitalism it needs regulation.

Normally, competition between providers would keep prices competitive, meaning keep them down. If one provider throttled a group of people, another provider would not and the people would simply go with the other provider. That is not how this situation works, because in general providers do not compete. They are like airlines that divy up the available pie and only a couple will supply in a specific area. Also, providers collude with one another to set pricing strategies, which is a violation of American anti-trust law, but they are getting away with it. It is because these things happen that we the people need to be protected and these lawmakers are hoping to remove that protection.

It may well be that several or all of these lawmakers do not understand the consequences, and are thinking purely in terms of the general principle that markets should be free, but that only pertains where there is a competitive market! In monopoly type situations, which is what the providers have; there does need to be regulation to protect from price gouging.

All hail our supreme commander for blasting the clarion call!

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/05/gops-internet-freedom-act-permanently-guts-net-neutrality-authority/

Irishnutcase

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Irishnutcase
Throttle my internet? All I use is the internet fuck these guys! #tablethrow #tablethrow #tablethrow #tablethrow #tablethrow #tablethrow #tablethrow #tablethrow #tablethrow #tablethrow #tablethrow #tablethrow

On another note if this somehow passes I see a lot of DDOSing and various hacking soon after.

Reactions: DarthMatter

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
I have a hard time getting worked up over this issue

the coming 5g wireless tech will offer massive bandwidth cheaply, and in more places - the issue will become moot

fiber and cable ISPs will be like the horse and buggy after the invention of the automobile assembly line

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
If you head off to www.GoFccYourself.com it will take you directly to the page where you can submit a comment to the FCC. Just click "Express" and tell Ajit Pai that you support strong net neutrality rules backed by Title II oversight of ISPs. DO EEEET! Thanks, Jon Oliver. FOR THE INTERNET! FOR THE MEEMZ!
(Seriously tho. Participate, or shut the hell up when the internet gets as bad as cable TV subscriptions)
The site has been locked up all day for me. I'm still trying, hopefully it'll free up tonight.

Reactions: Han Burgundy

Ganji

Admiral
May 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Ganjieh
well most governments programs do the opposite of what they are called
fight against poverty - we get more poverty
war against drugs - we get more drug problems

Sadly I live in European Union, if some unelected bureaucrat will get a bribe, then, the law will pass.

Ganji

Admiral
May 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Ganjieh
I have a hard time getting worked up over this issue

the coming 5g wireless tech will offer massive bandwidth cheaply, and in more places - the issue will become moot

fiber and cable ISPs will be like the horse and buggy after the invention of the automobile assembly line
yeah but we are still 4-5 years away from 5G, and form what I hear you barley have any decent 4G networks in states, so why do you hope that they will bother with 5G?

Forgot your password?