Best ship combo?

What should Owl do? Yes, I just referred to myself in the third person.

• Total voters

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Sounds like you need a $40 warbond cyclone...

Also, Owl, what do you want each ship for? They have a purpose and excel at certain things.

Doom turtle... good at finding enemy ships as a forward scout. Kind of explorational. Has a rotating seat thing. Piss poor speed and terrible guns. Best shield and best powerplant in its class.

Hark the Herald's engines sing,
Glory to the new speed king.
E-warfare and dirty tactics,
Ships your data without plastics.

Jokes aside, the Herald is a dual class ship with data running and e-warfare (blocking and rerouting signals). It's got crappy weapons too but an amazing engine. That's about it though...

Both can be used as scouts. Terrapin will be better at finding ships but the Herald can actually get away if it finds them. Herald can jam and be annoying in combat or keep the feds off your trail for a little longer.

But what does Owl want to use them for? We could have the best sandwich making ship in the game but if Owl doesn't care for sandwiches, then what good does it do for Owl? We need to know what kind of ship Owl needs.

I say, keep your Doom Turtle. The Herald is a lot easier to ask for later. You'll probably end up using the turtle more anyways. I'll be using my Herald because I want to get around fast and explore fast. I got no time for scans. Show me where the next big wreck is. I want it.
I shall answer this after I shower. Time to go play outside with the family.

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Hmm... There goes my accent again, ruining words that I type.

Anyways, you're a good natured owl, so you'll probably want to frollic and play every now and then. You'll eventually want to explore but not want to use your Carrack since you'll eventually want to explore by yourself to just discover things. The Cutlass could do, but the range is not long enough. The Redeemer is, meh, probably not worth it for you. Deep down, you feel that the Terrapin will satisfy this craving mire than the Herald will. You've considered the DUR but you like the style of the Terrapin more. You are willing to give up that cargo space and chance for a vehicle for just pure, unadulterated exploration fun where you don't leave your ship.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
you're one Aurora LN away

go for it

Ha ha
After deep consideration, and many beers, I've decided that I shall tonight become a Grand Admiral. Thank you all for the encouragement. I'm certainly most happy to see that the ancient tradition of buying your commission remains intact. Thank you all.
Sounds like you need a $40 warbond cyclone...

Also, Owl, what do you want each ship for? They have a purpose and excel at certain things.

Doom turtle... good at finding enemy ships as a forward scout. Kind of explorational. Has a rotating seat thing. Piss poor speed and terrible guns. Best shield and best powerplant in its class.

Hark the Herald's engines sing,
Glory to the new speed king.
E-warfare and dirty tactics,
Ships your data without plastics.

Jokes aside, the Herald is a dual class ship with data running and e-warfare (blocking and rerouting signals). It's got crappy weapons too but an amazing engine. That's about it though...

Both can be used as scouts. Terrapin will be better at finding ships but the Herald can actually get away if it finds them. Herald can jam and be annoying in combat or keep the feds off your trail for a little longer.

But what does Owl want to use them for? We could have the best sandwich making ship in the game but if Owl doesn't care for sandwiches, then what good does it do for Owl? We need to know what kind of ship Owl needs.

I say, keep your Doom Turtle. The Herald is a lot easier to ask for later. You'll probably end up using the turtle more anyways. I'll be using my Herald because I want to get around fast and explore fast. I got no time for scans. Show me where the next big wreck is. I want it.
See, this is where the conundrum comes in: who really knows what they want to do in-game, and what will the game mechanics really be like?
Me, I want to do these things (all ships listed are in my possession):
1)Privateering. Not quite pirating, but very close. Letters of mark and such. Legal-ish pirating. OK, pirating. (Cutty Blue, 'Pillar, Reclaimer, Redeemer, Harbinger (and warden and sentinel)) Basically all my ships.
2)Salvage. Hand in hand with the Privateering. As of right now, the Reclaimer and 'Piller (if it gets the modules). I'm still holding out for a small salvage ship, a la the Prospector.
3)Exploration. Terrapin, Carrack (Currently a BMM awaiting a sale for the CCU)
4)Smuggling. All the ships. Every fucking one of them. Anything that can fit anything can smuggle. Just depends on the cargo size. That being said, I want something that can be a 'smuggler'. My smuggling ship. Who knows what this will be.
5)Combat. Warden/Harbinger, Hurricane (with optional CCU to Defender - I like long range ships), Redeemer
6)Bombing. Harbinger
7)Espionage/Information Exploitation/Influence Activities/Covert Ops. Terrapin, Sentinel. This need to be fleshed out. It highly interests me, but I have no idea what the mechanics will be like as of yet.
8)Command and Control. Terrapin (I think). C&C will end up playing a huge roll in large battles and ops. This very much interests me. I think a Carrack will be able to play the part as well.
9)Soloable multirole ship. Cutty Blue/Redeemer (because coffee pot and sexy) For when I'm alone and thinking about you.

That's what I think I want. Honestly, the less ships the better, as I can only play one at a time. That being said, every time I reduce my fleet, I find myself buying more, haha. Fucking CR.

I'd love ideas on how to combine some of these professions into one, there-by freeing up captial.
I swore I wouldn't buy any more ships contribute any more to SC development

but the thought of an LTI Terrapin in my hangar is mighty tempting
It really is.
Hmm... There goes my accent again, ruining words that I type.

Anyways, you're a good natured owl, so you'll probably want to frollic and play every now and then. You'll eventually want to explore but not want to use your Carrack since you'll eventually want to explore by yourself to just discover things. The Cutlass could do, but the range is not long enough. The Redeemer is, meh, probably not worth it for you. Deep down, you feel that the Terrapin will satisfy this craving mire than the Herald will. You've considered the DUR but you like the style of the Terrapin more. You are willing to give up that cargo space and chance for a vehicle for just pure, unadulterated exploration fun where you don't leave your ship.
I want both. But I's rather have something that DID both. Ya know, a grenade launcher on a hand cannon with an extra large clip.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Sorry Owl, I can't answer that one for you, we are in Alpha, it could go either way. Right now, nope the Terrapin is a long range reconnaissance ship. Think AWACS. You see them before they see you and you send your buds to go kick some booty.

Herald is allllll about running away with your collection of Nentendo games. It also gets those Dataspike missiles too, so if you land one you can hack that Javalins computer and activate the self-destruct. Taking out a capital ship without firing a shot? that'll be the Heralds party trick.

But as I said, it is ALL subject to change.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Sorry Owl, I can't answer that one for you, we are in Alpha, it could go either way. Right now, nope the Terrapin is a long range reconnaissance ship. Think AWACS. You see them before they see you and you send your buds to go kick some booty.

Herald is allllll about running away with your collection of Nentendo games. It also gets those Dataspike missiles too, so if you land one you can hack that Javalins computer and activate the self-destruct. Taking out a capital ship without firing a shot? that'll be the Heralds party trick.

But as I said, it is ALL subject to change.
OK, so recce vs signal interception etc. Thank you. Understanding that everything is subject to change of course. You provided exactly what I was looking for, which is what has been written on the ships so far, as in Q&A's etc. So yeah, thanks. AWACS vs MEWT.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Both are basically snoops, so what you'll want will depend on HOW you want to snoop. (Or more precisely; How you wish to respond when found)

Herald: When seen, you can "oh shit!" your way out of there using your speed (Backup not super neccesary)

Danger Turtle: When seen, you can take a HELL of a beating; BUT you are slower than TGI Fridays on a saturday. (Backup will likely need to be nearby)

SPECULATION: Chicks will dig the Herald more, cuz ladies love SPEED.

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Both are basically snoops, so what you'll want will depend on HOW you want to snoop. (Or more precisely; How you wish to respond when found)

Herald: When seen, you can "oh shit!" your way out of there using your speed (Backup not super neccesary)

Danger Turtle: When seen, you can take a HELL of a beating; BUT you are slower than TGI Fridays on a saturday. (Backup will likely need to be nearby)

Slower than molasses moving up hill in January ... on crutches!

Zadig

Space Marshal
May 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Dreadmort
After deep consideration, and many beers, I've decided that I shall tonight become a Grand Admiral. Thank you all for the encouragement. I'm certainly most happy to see that the ancient tradition of buying your commission remains intact. Thank you all.

See, this is where the conundrum comes in: who really knows what they want to do in-game, and what will the game mechanics really be like?
Me, I want to do these things (all ships listed are in my possession):
1)Privateering. Not quite pirating, but very close. Letters of mark and such. Legal-ish pirating. OK, pirating. (Cutty Blue, 'Pillar, Reclaimer, Redeemer, Harbinger (and warden and sentinel)) Basically all my ships.
2)Salvage. Hand in hand with the Privateering. As of right now, the Reclaimer and 'Piller (if it gets the modules). I'm still holding out for a small salvage ship, a la the Prospector.
3)Exploration. Terrapin, Carrack (Currently a BMM awaiting a sale for the CCU)
4)Smuggling. All the ships. Every fucking one of them. Anything that can fit anything can smuggle. Just depends on the cargo size. That being said, I want something that can be a 'smuggler'. My smuggling ship. Who knows what this will be.
5)Combat. Warden/Harbinger, Hurricane (with optional CCU to Defender - I like long range ships), Redeemer
6)Bombing. Harbinger
7)Espionage/Information Exploitation/Influence Activities/Covert Ops. Terrapin, Sentinel. This need to be fleshed out. It highly interests me, but I have no idea what the mechanics will be like as of yet.
8)Command and Control. Terrapin (I think). C&C will end up playing a huge roll in large battles and ops. This very much interests me. I think a Carrack will be able to play the part as well.
9)Soloable multirole ship. Cutty Blue/Redeemer (because coffee pot and sexy) For when I'm alone and thinking about you.

That's what I think I want. Honestly, the less ships the better, as I can only play one at a time. That being said, every time I reduce my fleet, I find myself buying more, haha. Fucking CR.

I'd love ideas on how to combine some of these professions into one, there-by freeing up captial.

It really is.

I want both. But I's rather have something that DID both. Ya know, a grenade launcher on a hand cannon with an extra large clip.
I guess the freelancer MAX would be a fast smuggling ship :) Pity about the view though...

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl

Hahah, nice. Doom Turtle is back in my inventory. Herald is out for now. I need to lay off the spending for a few days. :wink: Also, the Herald may be much easier to get in game. I do want both. I kinda want to aim my fleet into that espionage/information broker/privateering fleet. I have privateering pretty covered, so yeah. A prowler would fit in really nice I think.
I created a very basic spreadsheet to help me think more better, haha. What do you think, and how could I improve upon it? Are there different schools of thought or ways of looking at this?
Fleet uses.png

Is there some unsuspecting innocent you can spread your addition to with a gaming package, and sign him/her up as your squire or some such? Bringing in players from outside the game is your best bet for loyal subordinates.
I could. I blew past the mark a couple nights ago. I've signed a couple people up. Dunno how active they are. *shrug* I have TEST. Haha

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
I could see you as more of a terrapin pilot. I mean with a herald, you your just simply fry on futurama, a simple "delivery boy" comeon owl. your better than that.

Forgot your password?