TEST Book Club - August selection

What kind of bug is good?

• Total voters

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Not having been in the military, I find some of the sexist comments disturbing. Women are not really treated as equals, even though they make the “best pilots”, and they seem to be seen as as object to be had.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I am really liking this book. It compares well to In fury born by David Weber

I am at the point they are discussing corporal punishment and they have some interesting ideas. Sadly, the flogging post in my state (Delaware) was removed a few years ago
I just finished chapter 1. Pretty good so far.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Not having been in the military, I find some of the sexist comments disturbing. Women are not really treated as equals, even though they make the “best pilots”, and they seem to be seen as as object to be had.
That's how women were viewed in the military back when this book was written. A lot has changed since then, obviously. But the perception, back 1987 when the book was published, is accurate for its time period.

Reactions: SpudNyk

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
How far along is everyone? No spoilers please!
Page number or percentage should suffice. I know one person has already completed the book in 1 day!
Ch 5. I'm slacking, but the pages are turning!
Glad my basic training was crawling through fire ants in Ft Benning, GA (though I can't say I was glad at the time :tired_face:) instead of freezing to death with only PT to keep me warm!

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Ch 5. I'm slacking, but the pages are turning!
Glad my basic training was crawling through fire ants in Ft Benning, GA (though I can't say I was glad at the time :tired_face:) instead of freezing to death with only PT to keep me warm!
Nice progress! I am really slacking here. Gonna try to get through chapter 2 tonight.

Done with the book
What are you, a speed reader? Sheesh!

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Wooo! Made some real progress today. Got to about 30% done or about Chapter 6 so far. How is everyone else's progress?

I am excited to talk about the book towards the end of the month!

Reactions: Sraika

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
No real spoilers, more of a concept overall post.

Overall, this is a great read. There are some very dated ideas, but even those were progressive for the time (female ship captain). It starts pretty slow, but picks up about chapter 3-4.

I liken this to Weber’s “in fury born” but that is a later book and is more...fantasy...at times where SST Stays closer to the sci fi side (but not always). There are some things at the end that probably should have been changed (last few pages) as they are there to end on a certain note, but that could have been accomplished other ways that would be more in line with the rest of the book (imo, no army would ever do that)

Once given the all clear, we can discuss specifics

4.5/5

Last edited:
Forgot your password?