TEST Book Club - February Nominations - CLOSED

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
What is up fellow TESTies! I hope you all have been enjoying January's book, I personally found it a little disturbing, but each reader interprets things differently.

Let us get the 2nd round of nominations underway for 2019! Don't forget, we have a group set up on goodreads.com if you want to check that out here! No pressure to join, I use their website all the time for keeping track of my reading goals as well as researching potential novels to add to my "must-read" list.

Let's go over some of the general rules for the nomination phase of the book club selection process:

1. One nomination per person per month. (one book, not one series)
2. Once you have submitted a nomination, you cannot change it.
3. While submitting your choice, please provide the book title as well as author name. You may choose to provide either a brief synopsis or reason why you are nominating your choice.
4. Books that have been nominated previously can be nominated again, however, books that were nominated AND selected for the monthly read are void and will not be submitted for nomination.
5. Any further questions, ask @Printimus via this thread or PM on discord or here on forums.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to join us! Feel free to stop by and read a book with us, just to try it out.
Dont forget to tag your friends in here so they know to come check it out!

P.S. - This thread will close on 24 January and the voting phase will begin on the same day via a new thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scape and Sraika

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I would like to nominate Red Rising by Pierce Brown.

This novel reallllly held my attention and kept the pace both fun and fast. Some very interesting turn of events takes place within this novel. Definitely in my top 3 favorites.

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
I'm nominating Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. It's a really good sci-fi book that does a great job rooting things in real science.

From Wikipedia:
"Seveneves is a hard science fiction novel by Neal Stephenson published in 2015. The story tells of the desperate efforts to preserve Homo sapiens in the wake of apocalyptic events on Earth following the unexplained disintegration of the Moon, and the remaking of human society as a space-based civilization after a severe genetic bottleneck."

It's in 3 parts with the first 2 talking a lot about current space-based, scientific projects and the third set I have the distant future showing how things could turn out given the events that unfold. It's well worth the read.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I'm nominating Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. It's a really good sci-fi book that does a great job rooting things in real science.

From Wikipedia:
"Seveneves is a hard science fiction novel by Neal Stephenson published in 2015. The story tells of the desperate efforts to preserve Homo sapiens in the wake of apocalyptic events on Earth following the unexplained disintegration of the Moon, and the remaking of human society as a space-based civilization after a severe genetic bottleneck."

It's in 3 parts with the first 2 talking a lot about current space-based, scientific projects and the third set I have the distant future showing how things could turn out given the events that unfold. It's well worth the read.
This one has been on my list for a while. Good pick.

Reactions: Scape

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
I would like to nominate my Star Citizen book again; The Aimless Expedition

(Even if you don't vote for it, you should check it out! What's better than free?!)
Book can be found here...

It started with a gentle ticking. A nebulous sensation that encompassed the entirety of Jack’s consciousness for what seemed to stretch on for an eternity. On endless repeat, those asynchronous crackles of life from the outside world slowly coalesced into the familiar sound of metal contracting as it cooled from a high heat. The quiet cacophony was then joined gradually by the incessant presence of an unpleasant new sensation. A foul scent had begun to creep its way into his awareness, souring the restfulness that the oblivion of unconsciousness had provided him. Jack gagged in protest and his body riposted with a flood of pain rushing into his mind that drowned out everything else in his perception.
His eyes shot open with a wave of agony as he felt every molecule of air leap from his lungs in a desperate gasp. He was vaguely aware of a tug pulling him against his fastened restraints and had a tough time shaking his disorientation at first. When Jack’s vision restored, however, understanding of his surroundings came into focus as well. The shuttle had flipped during the crash and he found himself hanging upside down, suspended over a crushed front viewport. A cursory investigation of the scene before him revealed a pool of blood that had been steadily collecting on the fractured glass below, and in a fashion that suggested the rhythmic drips of crimson had originated from somewhere on his own body.
Jack’s side was ablaze with a throbbing ache that reignited with every fractional twitch of his torso. He struggled against the pain to inspect his body, prodding his armor to feel for damage. When his search had reached the lower half of his right rib plate, the Captain ran into something protruding several centimeters from the protective outer layer of his suit. When he tried to pull at it, a blinding surge of anguish swelled to stop him in his tracks.
In a sudden jolt of realization, the gravity of the Captain’s situation came crashing down upon him. The rotten smell that had been assaulting his nose and eyes was in fact methane from the planet’s hostile atmosphere. The epiphany jerked Jack out of his daze and thrust his mind into action. He had a leak in his suit and, judging by his light-headedness, had precious little time to seal the breach and flush the deadly gasses that were seeping in to seal his fate.
Then, before his wheels of thought could fully be brought into motion, Jack felt a hand on his shoulder press him firmly into his seat. The action was followed a heartbeat later by an unfathomable rush of anguish that erupted from his chest as the protruding object was torn out of him. Mind still reeling, the Captain felt something seize his arm and a second chirp of pain bit into the inside of his elbow.
Warmth then started to spread from his seized arm, migrating up his shoulder and down his chest, with each beat of his heart dispersing the comforting heat further across his body. As the sensation enveloped his wound, it seemed to quiet his suffering under a wash of instant relief. It then wasn’t long before the effects reached his mind and the haze around him began to slip away.

Reactions: Scape and Printimus

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
Look at this guy, thinking he's all cool because he can put a spoiler tag in his post. Well you know what? I can do that too!

helo-big-spoiler-here-no-look-pls-12425218.png

For real though, I need to get this back on my Kindle so I can actually read it.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I would like to nominate my Star Citizen book again; The Aimless Expedition

(Even if you don't vote for it, you should check it out! What's better than free?!)
Book can be found here...
I expect nothing less.
Look at this guy, thinking he's all cool because he can put a spoiler tag in his post. Well you know what? I can do that too!

For real though, I need to get this back on my Kindle so I can actually read it.
i didnt look at your big spoiler

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist

From Wikipedia:

I second the nomination of Seveneves. It's an amazing book.

I also nominate The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu. It's the first of 3 books but you can wait until you read it to determine if you want to keep reading. (I did keep reading, I found the subject to be very interesting food for thought).

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I second the nomination of Seveneves. It's an amazing book.

I also nominate The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu. It's the first of 3 books but you can wait until you read it to determine if you want to keep reading. (I did keep reading, I found the subject to be very interesting food for thought).
great choice!

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I started Seveneves a while back. I actually put it down and somehow never picked it up again when the President, what's her name, started to annoy me. I guess that's a credit to the author that he could make a character get to me that much, I have like his other works. Does the book end well? I've always felt Neal Stephenson's books tended to taper off instead of ending.

And I guess if I was going to nominate one, maybe Anathem by the same author

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I started Seveneves a while back. I actually put it down and somehow never picked it up again when the President, what's her name, started to annoy me. I guess that's a credit to the author that he could make a character get to me that much, I have like his other works. Does the book end well? I've always felt Neal Stephenson's books tended to taper off instead of ending.

And I guess if I was going to nominate one, maybe Anathem by the same author
Excellent choice.
ill nominate 'the long earth', by terry pratchett/stephen baxter. been meaning to read that for a while lol
I look forward to this one!

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
4 days left and not a lot of nominees. Lets get everyone involved! Tag your friends and other people you like only slightly.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Is there a theme? Like space? Fantasy? Ect?
Great question! As Sraika mentioned, we usually stick around the realm of sci-fi and fantasy based novels, but our rules are pretty relaxed. If you have a book outside of those, you are more than welcome to nominate it!

Kiladyn

Vice Admiral
Dec 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Kiladyn
Steel World (Undying Mercenaries Series Book 1) by B. V. Larson

"In the twentieth century Earth sent probes, transmissions and welcoming messages to the stars. Unfortunately, someone noticed.

The Galactics arrived with their battle fleet in 2052. Rather than being exterminated under a barrage of hell-burners, Earth joined their vast Empire. Swearing allegiance to our distant alien overlords wasn’t the only requirement for survival. We also had to have something of value to trade, something that neighboring planets would pay their hard-earned credits to buy. As most of the local worlds were too civilized to have a proper army, the only valuable service Earth could provide came in the form of soldiers…someone had to do their dirty work for them, their fighting and dying.

I, James McGill, was born in 2099 on the fringe of the galaxy. When Hegemony Financial denied my loan applications, I was kicked out of the university and I turned to the stars. My first campaign involved the invasion of a mineral-rich planet called Cancri-9, better known as Steel World. The attack didn’t go well, and now Earth has entered a grim struggle for survival. "

Forgot your password?