TEST Book Club - November Selection

Rattle-N-hum

Space Marshal
Aug 26, 2014
RSI Handle
RattleNHum
also, am i the only one who actually reads the books?[/QUOTE]

Stephen King recommends listening to audiobooks. A writer is a writer, and good at that, but when a proficient speaker is involved, it adds another layer for the reader. King works with his audiobook readers, to ensure the character's persona is conveyed more accurately. In one of his epilogues for Dark Tower (book 5?) he gives very high praises for the merit of such formats. Don't discount it because it's not how it's normally done. Movies on the other hand, can eat shit when compared to a book. Books and audiobooks are shown to stimulate the same regions of the brain as well.

Reactions: August and Bambooza

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Stephen King recommends listening to audiobooks. A writer is a writer, and good at that, but when a proficient speaker is involved, it adds another layer for the reader. King works with his audiobook readers, to ensure the character's persona is conveyed more accurately. In one of his epilogues for Dark Tower (book 5?) he gives very high praises for the merit of such formats. Don't discount it because it's not how it's normally done. Movies on the other hand, can eat shit when compared to a book. Books and audiobooks are shown to stimulate the same regions of the brain as well.
See, instead of using someone else's vocals to give voice to the characters, this is where my imagination takes over and this becomes the most fun of reading for me. Also, i can control how slow or fast i read with my eyeballs instead of staying at whatever pace the audiobook speaker goes at.

Not saying audiobooks are bad, they seem to come in handy for those of you whom transit to and from work a lot. I just prefer to read with my own eyes.

Reactions: August and Bambooza

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
See, instead of using someone else's vocals to give voice to the characters, this is where my imagination takes over and this becomes the most fun of reading for me. Also, i can control how slow or fast i read with my eyeballs instead of staying at whatever pace the audiobook speaker goes at.

Not saying audiobooks are bad, they seem to come in handy for those of you whom transit to and from work a lot. I just prefer to read with my own eyes.
Gives the voices in your head a plot line.

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST

I like to read. It’s faster and I prefer my own interpretation. I’m also employed and have a young family, so I’ll take audio books which I can listen to in the car over nothibg every time.

Reactions: Printimus

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
As goodreads is basically unused, can I just ask is this entire book exposition?

Ethreck

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 13, 2016
RSI Handle
Ethreck
Hey guys. This is a really good book! I don't read/listen to many books, but this one is really good so far. Great pick.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
As goodreads is basically unused, can I just ask is this entire book exposition?
Goodreads is only unused because you all dont use it. I use it all the time, and as far as having the discussions on books here in the group format, the idea was shut down for a variety of reasons.
To answer your question, I believe this novel is taking on the perspective of a fictional biography, or at least that is the way I am interpretting it at only 12% done with the book.
Hey guys. This is a really good book! I don't read/listen to many books, but this one is really good so far. Great pick.
I am enjoying it as well! It's definitely a lot longer than the rest of our previous picks!

Reactions: Sraika
Forgot your password?