(TEST Relevant) he VoIP technology is awesome, but I am worried about what it means for our guys.

Panzertard

Captain
Aug 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Panzertard
For the hearing impaired, a version of speech to text might work, maybe make it show up as speech bubbles.
heh, I'm not so sure. Have you seen youtubes machine subtitling lately? Fanny as heck. And that's with good quality videos.
Fast talk & presentation doesnt work at all, just gibberish.

I say NKato's suggestion over at spectrum look solid though, it would make sense to offer such a flag.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
I tried to respond on spectrum, but some bug on their site causes text to wig out on my phone so is impossible to use.

I respectfully disagree that this is an issue for deaf/mute people. I think it is a much larger issue than that. It definitely does affect them but it also affects many more players as well. Consider:

- I sometimes like to be antisocial. I want to turn off voice comms. I'm effectively deaf+mute when I do so.

- Some of my friends refuse to let their young daughters have voice comms in video games, mainly to protect them from the assholes that are young guys who have just gotten owned by girl. They are effectively deaf+mute from a comms perspective.

- The world is full of people who speak different languages. Someone speaking Chinese to me is completely useless, I am effectively deaf+mute in a Chinese conversation.

My point is not that this isn't an issue. It IS an issue. My point is this is much larger than just deaf and/or mute players. They are one of many affected groups of players.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
THIS is a GREAT idea IMO... Up Voted :D :beers:

Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?